Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chancellors latest pledge

(13 Posts)
12Michael Mon 02-Mar-15 12:42:34

Mr Clegg said: “We are in the midst of a cycling revolution in the UK but we need to make sure we’re in the right gear to see it through. That’s why I’m so pleased to announce this investment for these major cities to make it easier for people to get around on two wheels.

“With the legacy of the 2012 Olympics and the Tour de France in Yorkshire last year still fresh in our minds, this money can help Britain become a cycling nation to rival the likes of Denmark and the Netherlands.

“Research shows us that boosting cycling could save billions of pounds otherwise spent on the NHS, reduce pollution and congestion, and create a happier and safer population.”

Read more at www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/government-announces-how-cycle-city-ambition-funding-will-be-spent-160358#btlkc0wbM535cahF.99

What do think with him mentioning the NHS, will Cycling help boost healthier lifestyles , but should money be spent NHS.
Mick

sunseeker Mon 02-Mar-15 15:54:03

Here in Bristol we have a Mayor who is anti car and very keen on cycling and is putting in lots of cycle lanes, 20 mph speed limits and resident parking zones. What he (and others) forget is that there are some people who through age or disability are unable to cycle. I wish they would improve the public transport system before declaring that everyone should get on their bikes! Bristol's buses are very expensive and unreliable, also there is no bus service through the village where I live so I have to drive. Where does this great cycling initiative leave me and others like me?

Galen Mon 02-Mar-15 16:38:17

Hear, hear!
Also the 20mph limit has caused gridlock in the city, and Bristol being built on at least as many hills as Rome is not really designed for cycling.
More disabled parking spaces would be nice as well!

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 18:06:08

Unless there are proper safe cycle lanes then the NHS will have to pick up all those injured cyclists who have been knocked over; and those cyclists with chest problems from breathing in car fumes.

Charleygirl Mon 02-Mar-15 18:12:18

I agree, we are told to get on our bikes or get out and walk. I would do either if I could.

I believe that Boris wants to make Oxford Street a bus free zone- how are people like myself going to get around? I will be staying at home.

Mishap Mon 02-Mar-15 18:55:05

Yes - it is frustrating - I would love to be able to cycle - but I would not do it round here on our narrow winding lanes, nor in main roads, nor in town - well, yes, not at all!

Wheniwasyourage Mon 02-Mar-15 19:30:01

Come on - if a lot more of the young, fit people felt that they could cycle safely, it would be a lot easier for the older, less fit to park! Agreed, we need to make public transport a lot better, but IMO anything which will get cars off the road and get people (those who can) walking and cycling has got to be a good thing. I would cycle more, in spite of the hills, if I didn't think I was going to be knocked off my bike by some clown who is driving a short distance when s/he could easily walk.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 02-Mar-15 19:31:25

have i missed something? Is Mr Clegg now the Chancellor? I don't get the title of this thread. confused

janerowena Mon 02-Mar-15 19:38:33

It's quite hard to walk around Cambridge, let alone drive. The cycle lanes are wider than the pedestrian lanes in many areas, but the cyclists are hugely outweighed by pedestrians number-wise. It seems very unfair to me.

sunseeker Mon 02-Mar-15 19:55:48

Wheniwasyourage I don't know about where you live but in Bristol there is nowhere to park - resident parking zones. I am happy for those who can to cycle, there are plenty of cycle lanes, but as I said before shouldn't public transport be sorted out first? That would help those who are unable to cycle, get more cars off the roads and make it safer for those who can cycle, win win all round. Bringing in cycle lanes, 20 mph speed limits and RPZs before sorting out the public transport only causes resentment as witnessed in the almost open war fare between some cyclists and some motorists in Bristol.

hildajenniJ Mon 02-Mar-15 20:34:48

When I was younger I used to cycle everywhere. When I left home and started nursing I bought a bicycle to get around. I used to cycle right across Carlisle, from the mental hospital to the infirmary when I was doing the general part of my training. I wouldn't like to do it now, I'd be scared witless. There are very few cycle lanes of use to anybody in Carlisle even now. I now live in a small country town where I could ride a bicycle but it is very hilly, I would need to be a lot fitter than I am.

absent Mon 02-Mar-15 21:08:28

Tricky to carry a week's groceries for a family on a bike up a hill.

durhamjen Mon 02-Mar-15 22:21:38

Mishap, I watched a programme about diesel, and they had someone walking, catching a bus, cycling and driving a car.
The car driver was affected most by the fumes, which surprised everybody. They expected it to be the cyclist.