Gransnet forums

News & politics

Green Party Manifesto and the Citizen's Pension

(39 Posts)
Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 17:32:54

I know not all Gransnet members are pensioners but all will be one day so I thought this may be of interest. This opens out as a pdf document so you will need Adobe to read it. The Adobe reader is free and is on most devices these days. I reduced it to 100% as it took a while to scroll through otherwise.

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/manifesto/Green_Party_2015_General_Election_Manifesto.pdf

The bit about the Citizen's Pension is on page 56.

Citizen's Pension
The bedrock of our pension policy is the Citizen's Pension which, unlike the new flat-rate pension, would be paid to all pensioners regardless of their contribution record, and to existing as well as new pensioners, so no pensioner will live in poverty. We would introduce this in 2016. It will pay £180 a week to a single pensioner, or £310 for a couple taking all pensioners above the poverty line. Increases will be at the higher of the increases in the prices of basic goods and services or in average earnings.

The existing State Pensions and Pension Credits cost £90 billion a year, while the new pensions above will cost £116 billion. The net cost is therefore £26 billion. We will fund this by reducing tax and National Insurance incentives for private pensions by one half, raising £20 billion (see the Older People and Pensions' section in Chapter 5) and using a further £6 billion available from abolishing the National Insurance upper threshold (see the Child Benefit section above)

NB: I couldn't copy and paste so I have typed this up so do look at the original to ensure accuracy. There is more about Older People and Pensions on page 29.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 17:41:41

I have often said that the National Insurance upper threshold should be abolished. It has never made sense to me that those who earn most should pay less NI on their top rate of pay.

If I read this correctly, it means that there should be no need to claim pension credit, which again I think is right. Many pensioners do not claim because of the amount of intrusive information needed on the forms.

magpie123 Tue 14-Apr-15 17:44:45

Pie in the Sky! You can say anything when you've no chance of actually having to deliver.

Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 17:48:03

That's how I read it Jen. Do read the other bits; I couldn't manage to type more. Yesterday I realise that although there were two parties I would not vote for I was still undecided between three others. I am reading the rest of the manifesto - well scanning really smile but so far I like what I see.

Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 17:49:40

You are entitled to your view magpie123 but mine is that the two party system is falling apart and I am not averse to encouraging the process smile

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 19:20:15

It seems to me, magpie, that the Tories are offering pie in the sky. They have not funded their promises, have they? They are just saying trust me, like they did on the NHS the last time.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 19:25:58

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/manifesto/Green_Party_2015_General_Election_Manifesto.pdf#page=8&zoom=auto,-107,715

This is a good page, Gracesgran.
However, you need imagination, which I have in abundance. I think you do too.

Ana Tue 14-Apr-15 19:29:16

You'd need a good imagination to believe the things the Greens promise could ever be implemented. And yes, I have read their manifesto.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 19:36:06

All of it? And not skimming like Gracesgran and me?
What do you think of page 8?

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 19:39:47

"The Green Party believes that equality is more important than growth."

That sums it up for me. That'll do.

Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 19:53:32

I agree jen but know we will be in the minority. The problem is that everyone has been brainwashed about what "economy" means. I have just seen Natalie Bennett being interviewed. She quoted the Spirit Level saying that more equality benefits the rich too.

You'd need a good imagination to believe the things the Greens promise could ever be implemented. You used to need a good imagination to believe the things the Lib Dems aimed for could ever be implemented Ana but much of what the Conservatives are lauding in the "what a clever party we are" vein came from the Lib Dem manifesto and was originally rubbished by the Torys.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 20:04:52

Three parties led by women could get together and have a sizeable influence on government policies, even the Green Party.
Those who rubbish the Green Party have not looked at how much Caroline Lucas has done in Parliament.

rosequartz Tue 14-Apr-15 20:26:37

It seems to me, magpie, that the Tories are offering pie in the sky. They have not funded their promises, have they? They are just saying trust me, like they did on the NHS the last time

Substitute Labour for Tory and it is equally true

rosesarered Tue 14-Apr-15 21:57:00

This is hilarious, so many people on here saying that their own party promises are wonderful but all the others are pie in the sky.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 22:02:06

Only two of us have used that phrase, roses. And only six have commented, including you. I think you need to check your arithmetical ability.

rosesarered Tue 14-Apr-15 22:03:54

Do you actually have a sense of humour DJen?

rosesarered Tue 14-Apr-15 22:04:23

I'm guessing you may have, if you are really a Green voter.

Mishap Tue 14-Apr-15 22:13:15

I don't have a party that is my "own." I think that all the manifestos are flawed. And all parties, when they get power, find that many of their "promises" cannot be honoured.

I hope to vote for the party that demonstrates that they have vision, a global outlook and a care for the poor. I do not expect any of the parties to be able to honour all their promises, and I wish they would be honest and just say that these are their aims; and stop pretending that they can definitely deliver.

rosesarered Tue 14-Apr-15 22:15:08

I agree with you all the way Mishap and am glad that somebody has said this at last.

Ana Tue 14-Apr-15 22:24:27

But they have to say how they intend to fund their views of Utopia though, surely?

It's all very well the Greens saying they'll spend £177 bn on health, give everyone a guaranteed income of £70+ a week and single pensioners £180 a week and life will be wonderful for all, but it's just fantasy.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 22:25:11

The Green Party pension promise extends to expats. I wonder how many of them have realised and have a vote?

Ana Tue 14-Apr-15 22:28:25

I wonder how many have read about it and realised it was pie in the sky...wink

rosesarered Tue 14-Apr-15 22:30:56

Afraid I can't help you there Ana, as obviously my maths isn't up to it.Somebody else will be along very soon to tell you!

Gracesgran Wed 15-Apr-15 08:52:22

What is your definition of "pie in the sky" Ana. Politics is many layered, as is the influence of parties and their ideas. We only have to look at how far the Conservatives have moved and would move us to the right to see that. I - and this is just my opinion - feel many who applaud them may live to regret it when control is pulled back to Whitehall and the NHS is a poor relation to what we have known and expected.

Of course, the super rich will not have to flee the country if they are allowed to carry on in their current direct of travel so that's OK then.

mollie65 Wed 15-Apr-15 13:30:18

thankfully just your opinion then - Gracesgran.
do tell how only the Conservatives have moved to the right but Labour has not done just the same thing. hmm