Gransnet forums

News & politics

Conservative Manifesto

(196 Posts)
magpie123 Tue 14-Apr-15 18:02:19

30 hours free child care for all 3 and 4 year olds

200,000 new homes for first-time buyers

800,000 housing association tenants will be able to qualify for a full right to buy discount

£8 billion extra funding a year by 2020 for NHS

In/Out referendum on UK’s EU membership by end of 2017

The usual suspects on gransnet seem to have gone quiet all of a sudden!smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Apr-15 18:04:25

Selling off the housing association houses is stupid. What good is that going to do? I really don't like that. We need scent affordable social housing.

Ana Tue 14-Apr-15 18:04:31

I think you may have spoken too soon there, Magpie! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Apr-15 18:06:26

The referendum on EU membership is stupid too. Far too risky. What makes Cameron think they will vote to stay in? Madness!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 14-Apr-15 18:09:46

Far too many people will vote to come out just because of the immigration issue.

(should have read 'decent' - not 'scent' in previous post.)

J52 Tue 14-Apr-15 18:11:46

Selling off Housing Association houses will result in less social housing. Lots of Housing Associations already do part buy/ part rent schemes.

How quickly will the replacements be built? At least a year or two gap, land purchase, design, planning permission etc.

Lots of right to buy houses were repossessed in the 1980s.

There used to be schemes where house buyers could buy houses in need of doing up with council mortgages, with less deposits and slightly less interests rates. These measures helped people buy and kept housing stock occupied.

x

jo1book Tue 14-Apr-15 18:14:11

Yes Maggie,the zealots are quiet!

whitewave Tue 14-Apr-15 18:17:23

magpie it isn't that we are quiet it is that we can't believe what we are reading.

Most of it hasn't been costed and we are not talking peanuts here it is a vast amount of money that is not yet accounted for. The IFS has already said that it will be impossible without cuts on a scale untold or huge increases in tax (like that is going to happen).

I think that they are panicking and it is all beginning to unravel.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 18:18:28

The right to buy.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/04/14/right-to-buy-is-wrong-in-every-way-imaginable/

I agree with every word he says.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 18:19:44

Even the Green Party has managed to cost their pledges. How come the Tories can't?

Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 18:21:52

The £8 billion for the NHS seems to be coming from Mr Osborne's magic money tree as they are not prepared to say where they will get it nor are they going to tell us where the cuts will be to get the £12 million they have said they will take from benefits.

whitewave Tue 14-Apr-15 18:22:38

How can they force Local Authorities to sell their assets - what happens to Local Democracy?

Mishap Tue 14-Apr-15 18:22:42

If you believe all that you will believe anything! Does anyone seriously think they will see all this through?

The referendum idea is a total cop-out. Who amongst us feels qualified to make a judgement as to whether leaving the EU will be good for the country or bad? How many economists will be amongst the voters? Or will people just vote on gut instinct and based on xenophobia? I will not vote in that referendum if it happens - I am insufficiently qualified to judge, along with most of the population, most of whom will vote anyway, based on ignorance.

Why sell off housing association houses? - where do people then go who are on a low wage and in need of social housing?

I for one do not favour free child care for 3 and 4 year olds - I would prefer to see policies that gave parents the opportunity to look after their own children if they wish to - flexible working hours, higher child benefit for those who chose to stay at home and be parents; more shared working.

All those new homes for first-time buyers - they have not succeeded in achieving this in the last 5 years - why should we assume they will now?

They have copped out of saying where the money for the NHS is to come from - just been listening to PM and that question was studiously avoided - and no account is taken that the figure quoted is just to stay where we are - what about expansion and progress.

So - here I am out of the woodwork and not quiet! - not one bit!

whitewave Tue 14-Apr-15 18:24:11

I can't believe what I am reading - sorry to repeat myself but honestly!

J52 Tue 14-Apr-15 18:24:31

Well said Mishap. x

Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 18:24:41

Sorry Whitewave I think I was saying much what you had already said.

magpie123, do you really believe the Conservatives are the party of working people as DC is trying to pursued us? Its sounds very much like panic to me.

glammanana Tue 14-Apr-15 18:25:05

I do think zealots is an unnecessary word to discribe members of Gransnet whatever your political beliefs.

Gracesgran Tue 14-Apr-15 18:25:05

that not what - sorry.

Riverwalk Tue 14-Apr-15 18:29:32

I think it's wrong to sell-off the HA property, particularly at a discount.

In a few years' time they will be sold on the open market, netting a huge profit for that lucky tenant and a loss for the public purse.

In London there are certain property companies that will be rubbing their hands in anticipation ..... they currently tempt council tenants (those that have no hope of getting mortgages, as unemployed, etc.) with schemes to help them buy the property, pay them off with a few thousand pounds and then have a hugely expensive flat to either sell on or let out.

The former tenant then has to find somewhere to live.

If these properties are to be sold at least the council or HA should share in the profits when it's sold.

whitewave Tue 14-Apr-15 18:29:43

How come if we are Tory supporters we are non-zealots and if we are Labour we are zealots?

What word would you use to describe Tory supporters then?

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Apr-15 18:32:25

Selling off social housing has been such a success in the past, hasn't it? Depleting the housing stock for the low paid and contributing to the relentless rise in housing costs. I feel heart sore for young couples unable to raise deposits for their own homes and having to pay high rents to private landlords, many of whom have no compunction when it comes to raising the rent or ending their contracts. The most unscrupulous buy-to-letters must be rubbing their hands in glee (and no, I'm not saying everyone who buys to let is unscrupulous, before anyone starts, but we all know they're out there).

As for an expensive referendum, I certainly don't want one on this or any other matter. I use my vote hoping to get people into power who can make sensible decisions on our behalf based on the best interests of the country. Last time I looked, I didn't live in Switzerland.

As for the rest of the "promises" - uncosted and unlikely to come about.

whitewave Tue 14-Apr-15 18:37:55

The more I look at what was said this morning by DC and cohorts about the "working families" and the sunny uplands the more I realize how contemptuous they are of the working families with the expectation that they will be taken in hook line and sinker. They need their vote in order to get even a chance of a majority.

GillT57 Tue 14-Apr-15 18:39:06

Mishap agree with everything you say. I also wonder about the legality of selling off Housing Associations stock? My husband is an architect and knows a fair bit about housing legislation and planning laws. Quite rightly, when a development is built, a certain percentage have to be given to the local council, usually via a housing authority to be allocated to those on the waiting list. These houses are bought on a loan, not given by the developers. This loan is funded by you and me, taxpayers. Housing associations have charitable status, the whole thing is a buggers muddle of inept desperate thinking and I for one am deeply deeply offended that a group of people who are hoping to run this economy in the future think I am so stupid as to believe this pack of lies and delusional thinking, and thus vote for them. This is apart from the shocking fact that they just havent learnt from the past, and cannot foresee the housing crisis getting even more desperate. There will soon be no teachers or doctors or police working in London at this rate, these houses will likely end up like the council housing stock sold off by that bloody woman, the houses will be sold on, rented out and we, the mugs, will pay our taxes over to pay housing benefit to landlords. And thus it goes on like some farcical play. Honestly, you couldnt make it up. Signed, the usual suspects.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 18:39:22

Whitewave, there isn't a word for them.

durhamjen Tue 14-Apr-15 18:40:39

By the way, where have all the Tory supporters gone?