Gransnet forums

News & politics

UKIP Candidate - an A for effort!

(15 Posts)
KatyK Sat 18-Apr-15 14:04:56

Harjinder Singh is the UKIP candidate for a constituency not far from where I live (not our constituency). This man has been standing at a very busy crossroads in the suburbs of Birmingham every day for the past two weeks or so, 8 or 9 hours a day. He is still there today. He waves at the passing motorists, speaks to pedestrians as they pass him by. He has become a bit of a local celebrity and has been featured in the local press. He has had people shaking his hand, people beeping their car horns at him, people ignoring him and people hurling abuse out of their car windows. He has pulled a muscle in his hand with all the waving and hand shaking but he perseveres. I am assuming that he will be there until the election - I don't know what his day job is which allows him to be there for such a long period of time. I am not a UKIP supporter but I have to admire his tactics at getting noticed smile

petallus Sat 18-Apr-15 16:04:52

Sounds as though he's dedicated if a little over the top!

KatyK Sat 18-Apr-15 16:17:41

Indeed!

jo1book Sat 18-Apr-15 16:28:36

He is also brave to hang around Great Barr as the area is very mixed. He is in danger of physical and verbal abuse,probabyly only protected by cctv everywhere

Tegan Sat 18-Apr-15 16:41:30

Sounds more bonkers than dedicated but as a UKIP candidate I'm not surprised...

NotTooOld Sat 18-Apr-15 16:44:38

Oh, poor man. He's certainly got guts and good luck to him. I'm fed up with UKIP getting a bad press as some of their policies are plain common sense but the media are out to get them. I'm still a floating voter - made no decision yet - but it's good to hear that at least one candidate of whatever persuasion is making an effort. we have yet to see a single candidate here, not even a flier through the door.

KatyK Sat 18-Apr-15 17:20:29

Great Barr is very nice! confused He is a candidate for Perry Barr which is not so pleasant.

jo1book Sat 18-Apr-15 17:59:12

No neighbourhood slur intended. I know the route as it is one way to join the M6 from Birmingham. I am getting my Barrs mixed.

durhamjen Sun 19-Apr-15 00:26:53

For floating voters.

www.mysociety.org/2015/03/20/a-list-of-voter-advice-applications-aka-who-should-i-vote-for-tools-for-the-uk-general-election/

Mishap Sun 19-Apr-15 09:48:22

I come out green on all these questionnaires - but voting green will not get us a green MP, so that does not help very much!

NanKate Sun 19-Apr-15 16:42:04

I'm with you Nottooold everything the Ukip candidates say appears to be rubbished.

I have stopped saying on other threads that there are one or two topics I agree with in the Ukip Manifesto as I usually get a hostile response. hmm

I am also undecided as to who to vote for. It is going to be a very close contest.

durhamjen Sun 19-Apr-15 16:45:25

This is an interesting chart, so you can see where your party stands.

www.politicalcompass.org/uk2015

magpie123 Mon 20-Apr-15 08:53:53

Good Luck I say, hope he wins this seat from Labour.

GillT57 Mon 20-Apr-15 09:18:31

This is the problem I have nottoolod All of the parties have somethings in their manifesto that I agree with, and somethings that i don't. I don't understand how any one party can have the complete answer for a voter. I admire this candidate for his tenacity and for taking his responsibility to his potential constituents seriously, my local MP in a safe seat is never seen from one election to another.

GrannyTwice Mon 20-Apr-15 10:11:02

Gill - you're right, no one part can have all the answers. The only way I think it can be approached is by evaluating the particular party's underpinning values and principles - a sort of macro, overarching approach. The other way I suppose is hat you can decide what areas of policy matter most to you and see which party most closely matches your views on those areas. As I've said before, I gave up on manifestos a long time ago. And I could never vote for a candidate just because he put a lot of effort into his/ her campaign - it's what they do afterwards that matters