Gransnet forums

News & politics

Perhaps only a small thing?

(5 Posts)
Anne58 Mon 27-Apr-15 16:06:26

I have just spent a few minutes looking through the leaflets that various local candidates have put through my letterbox (quite a few of them, as we also have the local Council elections going on)

They all say that unemployment is an important issue, and I quite agree.

So why is it that only one party have used LOCAL firms to print their flyers? confused

annodomini Mon 27-Apr-15 16:26:26

In a General Election, all parties have the right to a freepost leaflet and often there's an offer by a printing company to do the whole lot including addressing and posting. This is something that would tax a smaller local firm. However, when it's a matter of a council election leaflet, many parties have their own printing facilities. I used to have them done at a very reasonable price by one or other of the two neighbouring parties. Admittedly, this didn't give work to any companies.

Mishap Mon 27-Apr-15 17:23:22

I think that some of the main party fliers are generic and nationally-produced - churned out in their millions - on Have I Got News For You the other night they were taking the mick out of a flier that went out where they had inadvertently left a section that said "Insert name of candidate"!

There is no excuse for local councillors not using local firms.

thatbags Mon 27-Apr-15 17:27:25

Cost might be an excuse reason for not using a local firm, mightn't it? Just guessing.

Anne58 Mon 27-Apr-15 19:42:44

Don't think so bags, current boss uses one of the local firms for all printing needs, and HE is so tight that he unplugs the fridge in the workshop every evening! shock