Gransnet forums

Relationships

advice please re abusive relationship / housing

(45 Posts)
jelliott Sun 26-Jun-16 21:26:50

hi everyone - this is my first ever post online so i hope i have got it right. In a nutshell i have been in an emotionally and occasionally abusive relationship for 20 years and i desperately need to get out as it is getting worse than ever. I have a daughter and grandchildren who are moving to edinburgh soon and they want me to go up there and escape the situation but they cannot afford to buy a big enough house for me as well and i have a dog which no way am i leaving behind. So - what are my housing options if a) i do go and stay with her and sleep on the couch which isn't reallt feasable with 3 under 6's and i am disabled with fibrmyalgia and arthritis at the grand old age of 56. or b) if i was to rent a static caravan would i be able to be housed? And how do i get housing that is suitable for a dog too as he helps me when i drop things and fetches the phone etc but he isn't a trained listed assistance dog. I am not a scrounger, having been a nurse for 20 years, i amd just in a position now where i need some help and I know nothing about the workings of the housing system. My partner ensured that no bills / utilites etc had my name so no credit means no credit rating so no loan to pay a rent deposit Our house is his that he inherited so i have no legal standing there. Looking forward to your replies.

BlueBelle Wed 14-Dec-16 12:32:04

Wishing you strength and a positive new life I will never forget the peace when I shut my own front door for the first time it was a grotty flat and the three kids were in one double bed with me at the other end but it was magnificent

FarNorth Wed 14-Dec-16 11:42:09

I've just seen this thread and want to give you and your daughter congratulations on getting this far, and encouragement that things are about to get a lot better for you.
Definitely wishing you luck and strength!

Synonymous Mon 12-Dec-16 22:52:04

cheerfullizzy I hope you, too, have found a way forward for yourself. There is much good advice on this thread for your own situation. Do let us know how you are getting on. smile

Synonymous Mon 12-Dec-16 22:46:55

jelliott I am certainly wishing you well and praying that all goes well and you leave in safety this Thursday.
I hope you have got legal help to claim whatever you can to ensure that your future is as financially secure as possible. You have legal rights whether the marital home has your name on the deeds or not so don't legitimise your OH's treatment of you by going without what is yours by right.
Do let us know how things go as I, at least, will be on tenterhooks until I know you are safe. ((hugs)) flowers

SloeGinny Mon 12-Dec-16 21:54:41

Good luck jelliott

I hope you can take some advice and inspiration from this thread Cheerfullizzie and take steps to make a new life for yourself flowers

cheerfullizzy Sun 11-Dec-16 18:06:06

lumpy spaced princess...You are absolutely spot on in your kind comment..I so agree with you...

silverlining48 Sun 11-Dec-16 12:46:39

Well done. I am sure you won't regret this. You have loving family who have helped, you will be fine. Good luck and all good wishes.

Hilltopgran Sun 11-Dec-16 10:45:11

I wish you a safe journey, and good luck for your new life. A great way to start a new year.

grannypiper Sun 11-Dec-16 10:09:45

Jelliot Fantastic news, you are doing the right thing and WELCOME to Scotland. 2017 will be the best yet.brew cupcake

Coolgran65 Sat 10-Dec-16 20:06:31

Please go to a solicitor when you get to Edinburgh. You have entitlements. Don't forego them as they may make your life much easier.

Well done, and good luck.

mumofmadboys Sat 10-Dec-16 18:30:53

Wishing you all the best and peace.

Anya Sat 10-Dec-16 13:28:33

I thought you were off in July jelliot and am concerned you are still in this relationship. But this sounds positive and you now have somewhere to go, with dog I hope.

Go, go, go and good luck.

Let us know how things are.

Christinefrance Sat 10-Dec-16 13:01:41

Well done jelliott you have bravely done the right thing, your daughter sounds amazing too.
Enjoy your new life and time with your family.

seacliff Sat 10-Dec-16 12:52:18

Well done Jelliot, for having the courage to see it through. Starting a new life will be exciting! Best of luck.

ginny Sat 10-Dec-16 12:30:02

Good luck Jelliot. Enjoy the rest of your life.

Flossieturner Sat 10-Dec-16 11:39:40

I would not dismiss the possibility of getting maintenance or a share of your house without taking legal advice. Good luck I. Your new life.

fiorentina51 Sat 10-Dec-16 11:02:47

Good Luck. Enjoy your new life! ??

cornergran Sat 10-Dec-16 10:38:41

New beginning, jelliot. Take care and good luck.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sat 10-Dec-16 10:32:11

That is amazing news jelliot, amazing!

Please tread carefully as women are most vulnerable when they leave a toxic relationship. Women's aid are very good and can offer some great advice.

Stay safe jelliot and good luck smile

jelliott Sat 10-Dec-16 10:23:26

Hi - just to let you know that at last i am ready to leave this toxic relationship. Things have gone from bad to worse so on Thursday night i am leaving and moving from London to Scotlnd! If it fits in my car its going with me, if not i'm leaving it behind. My amazing daughter has found me a flat and paid the deposit and i paid the rent so its all arranged. Its so sad to see 21 years go bad and get to the state it is in now. I know it will be hard and heartbreaking but i know i've got to do it for my sanity, Thanks for all your help and thanks for giving me the support i needed to make this decision. Wish me luck and strength! xx

silverlining48 Wed 16-Nov-16 20:10:43

Even If the house is owned by your husband you would be entitled to half so seek legal advice, or go to citizens advice or women's aid. look into all options and be brave. my mum stayed in a very unhappy marriage through fear and despite knowing she should go she never did. Speak to your family, maybe they can help. Good luck.

Izabella Wed 16-Nov-16 19:59:07

Gather all your ID stuff, treasured photographs, birth and wedding certificates and important papers, your cash, passport, driving licence etc and give them to a friend you can really really trust. Get in touch with Womens
Aid and they will advise you from there. They will come and collect you if necessary. If you are in immediate danger phone the police and tell them you need a place of safety. ??

cheerfullizzy Wed 16-Nov-16 19:28:59

hello jelliot...you are not alone....im of similiar age to yourself...have always been the housewife & mum..cook & cleaner etc...putting everyones happiness first..
I too have come to realise and admit that i'm in an abusive relationship..by not being allowed to work part time..have friends outside the family...told which nieghbours i am not allowed to smile at/speak to..
told that I have a 3 story house to clean..& elderly father to care for since losing my beloved mum.spoken to like im a pig...sit at the dining table alone every evening....not allowed to visit mums grave the same time as her sister...who has been very il too...as my h dosent like her.have items snatche from me when trying to help him...explosive outbursts if i havent made his native dish perfectly....feel nervous when he comes downstairs each morning...I need to find the courage to get out...so intimidated by threats to turn my family against me.....But I know I must at some point find the strength...after 36 years of being a devoted mum/wife.....how on earth do i pluck up the courage....financially i have nothing....advice please ladies.xx

supernanauna1 Thu 29-Sep-16 22:18:24

Jelliot - Just reading through this old thread and I wondered if you managed to make the break and how things went?

Hopefully you're now settled in Edinburgh..............

Good luck!

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jul-16 06:41:47

This was a while ago so not sure if it still stands but I partly inherited a house after my second marriage.... when my marriage broke up we had only lived together in this house a year but I was told he had a right to half of it Luckily we worked it out and I took on some of his debts in exchange for his not contesting my house but I think you do have rights even if it's not your house if it has become the family home