Gransnet forums

Relationships

Husband retired, I still work. My husband is driving me crazy!

(78 Posts)
babs75 Thu 21-Sep-23 18:30:48

I'm getting to my wits end. My husband retired mid 2019 from construction, a year or so earlier than I thought he was going to but we've made it work. I am 66, continue to work, want to work, and have no plans ot retire anytime soon. Since Covid in early 2020, they made my job full time work-from-home. I began this new career as a data analyst 10 years ago, different from what I did the last 30, and have found it to be something I'm really good at. I have excelled at it, gotten promotions, and am a project leader for our team of 15, just one step down from my manager. I am finally getting paid what I am worth. It has been very refreshing and I've enjoyed the fact it has helped us financially. The last year had it's own set of challenges as the project I've been on the last 4 years came to a head and required very long work days for many months. Things have leveled out now so I am back to 8 hour days.

I have many hobbies including 2-3 Zumba classes a week (I also got certified to teach last spring although I cannot make that time commitment right now), sewing, 'Cricuting', and I purchased a telescope after attending an astronomy class last winter term. My husband and I attend training with a personal trainer once a week and we both enjoy estate sales on the weekend.

I am also legal guardian and conservator to my 97 year old dad which takes some time itself. But since Covid, I am home all day working, my husband is home all day, and he is bored to death. We are together too much. I crave time to myself. It's just gotten to be an obsession with me. We have vacation property for camping a couple hours north of here so he may go up there for a few days every few weeks which gives me some badly needed 'me' time but when I know he's returning, a sort of 'depression' sets in. I find I am actually happier by myself being able to just do what I want. When he is here, I find myself constantly on the defense as to why I need to plan my day/week, set a schedule and am not able to just do something on the spur of the moment. I really function better on a schedule. He hates that part of my 'accounting brain', as he calls it.

Because of this project, I really haven't been able to take much vacation time. Sometimes it's harder to get job coverage than it's worth and the amount of emails/work to do when I get back just usually isn't worth it and I have no issue with this. Again, today, 'Why can't you call in sick. Let's go do something together'. No, I have work to do. I am not here to entertain him and he is usually met with the statement from me, 'It was your idea to retire'.

I have asked him to get a parttime job, although his pension does not allow him to do any construction, asked him to do volunteer work but he doesn't want to do that, etc. I'm happier at home. I have plenty to do here. Do some married people take separate vacations? I have no interest in travel and the last time we did fly somewhere, he had a downright tantrum in the Bay Area traffic. No fun. Short fuse, no patience. I plan to work until I am at least 70 and if I'm not ready to retire, I've already warned him I'm going to work as long as I want which is going to cause a big problem when I get there but trying not to dwell on the future right now.

Having been involved in my dad's care for 8 years has shown me how much it costs to go into old age. I continue to save some money but do not want to get to a place where I quit too soon and then had to go back to work. I am at a loss. I am so sad most of the time, I just want to cry. I wish he would just leave me alone. He really needs to find something to do. He is so dependent on me.

Oreo Thu 21-Sep-23 18:33:48

Either a part time job for him or he needs to find interests to suit him.Gardening project? A club of some kind?

Ilovecheese Thu 21-Sep-23 19:37:48

He needs to find his own entertainment. But I would just gently remind you that no one on their deathbed ever said they wished they had spent more time at the office.

Aveline Thu 21-Sep-23 19:46:18

Just what I was thinking Ilovecheese.
Poor man. You have such a full life with work, hobbies and care committments that you have no time or energy for him. Is there any compromise you could make?

AGAA4 Thu 21-Sep-23 19:55:27

I found this quite sad. The OP has filled her life with so much that there seems to be no time for her DH.
It sounds as though he just wants a bit of her time.

V3ra Thu 21-Sep-23 19:58:13

I wish he would just leave me alone.

Carry on as you are doing and that could well be what he does.
Permanently ☹️

Smileless2012 Thu 21-Sep-23 19:59:54

I think it's quite sad too.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Sep-23 20:37:12

Some people love their work and find it very fulfilling. I sympathise with the OP. Her husband needs to find something to fill his time. He has decided to retire. That doesn’t mean OP has to. Nobody with a demanding job can just take a day off at the drop of a hat. He needs to understand that and take responsibility for his life rather than relying on his wife to give up work to provide 24/7 companionship and entertainment for him.

Lyndylou Thu 21-Sep-23 20:39:09

I do sympathise. You do find time for him at weekends. I am a great believer in working as long as you can if you enjoy it. I work part time from home, my OH is retired now but he appreciates the extra money and keeps himself busy. He shops, cooks and he has his shed for his spare time.

Can I suggest UKMSA Men's Shed Association. Men get together and do whatever men do in a shed! He is probably quite practical if he has construction background. He might enjoy the company.

pascal30 Thu 21-Sep-23 20:49:19

It sounds as though you would prefer to be on your own.. why don't you rent an office away from your house and give him some space.. He sounds quite unloved to me..

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Sep-23 20:58:41

He sounds like a bloody nuisance to me.

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Sep-23 05:02:13

I don't understand why you can't enjoy time with your husband. You say you do like estate sales but don't ever seem to just "hang out" together.

He only retired two years early - you don't need to keep bringing this up and telling him to find a job or volunteer. I think you have found a new niche for yourself which probably was not part of any retirement plan.

Whilst he is waiting to spend time with you, you are working on long projects and finding it hard to even take vacations which you seem to say aren't worth it. I think they would be worth it for your relationship.

I think Pascal is right. And, conversely GSM too. He has become a nuisance to you - because you can't be bothered with him.

Is the relationship actually over now that you are "just one step down" from your manager?

I think, babs75 you need to ask yourself if you are too busy and involved with your own things to be married - your husband is very very low on your priorities list. You seem to be doing just what you want to.... which is what he'd like to do, but he'd like to include you in his life.

You work 8 hour days now though obviously more if "necessary" and say for a year you were working a lot more...
You have 2-3 Zumba classes a week
You find time to sew as a hobby
You go to circuits,
You clearly found time to take an astronomy class and purchased a telescope (which presumably you use).
You got certified to teach Zumba
You have also been busy with your 97 year old dad for the last 8 years!
... how much day is left?

Do you share a personal training session or do you do that separately?
I feel you now only do the estate sales together. No wonder he is looking for a share of your time.

You are asking should you have separate holidays (even though you don't want to travel)!! - When are you going to spend time with your husband if you do that?

Did you ever discuss retirement plans with him? Did you have different dreams for your later years? What were you both expecting? You say you have "made it work" that he retired two years early - but clearly you resent it. I'm sure you know construction is hard on the body and taking retirement is sometimes because you are just worn out.

Sawsage2 Fri 22-Sep-23 11:42:25

You either want to stay with him or not so decide to make it work or get divorced (are you thinking money?)

Newtothissite Fri 22-Sep-23 11:48:18

Be glad you've got him......that may sound severe but as someone who doesn't any more I envy you

EEJit Fri 22-Sep-23 11:55:08

I can understand how he feels. I retired before Beloved, and although she was not as busy as OP, she worked full time and i was at home all day. When the weather was nice it wasn't to bad, I could take my camera and go off in the car practising my photographer.

Winter was terrible though, on my own between taking her to work and coll3cting her again afterwards I felt like nothing more than her taxi driver. I didn't tell her though, it would have bothered her.

JdotJ Fri 22-Sep-23 12:02:56

You are in the USA/Canada I presume from your 'language' ?
Does this mean you live some distance from towns/opportunities for your husband to join anything
I acknowledge others comments veering towards sympathy for your husband but I wonder if that sympathy would be so readily available if roles were reversed and HE worked full time, had hobbies etc
I rather think not, the 'wife indoors' would be expected to put up and shut up.
Difficult situation

biglouis Fri 22-Sep-23 12:05:40

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 21-Sep-23 20:58:41 He sounds like a bloody nuisance to me

hahaha GSM - we dont always agree but this would drive me potty. Thats why Im no longer married. I just dont want someone hanging around which is what DH seems to be doing.

He needs to find a hobby or a pastime. Golf would be a good one. Get him out of the house and away on weekends with his mates.

NotSpaghetti Fri 22-Sep-23 12:06:18

JdotJ I don't agree. I think the response would be similar!

Dinahmo Fri 22-Sep-23 12:13:42

NotSpaghetti

I don't understand why you can't enjoy time with your husband. You say you do like estate sales but don't ever seem to just "hang out" together.

He only retired two years early - you don't need to keep bringing this up and telling him to find a job or volunteer. I think you have found a new niche for yourself which probably was not part of any retirement plan.

Whilst he is waiting to spend time with you, you are working on long projects and finding it hard to even take vacations which you seem to say aren't worth it. I think they would be worth it for your relationship.

I think Pascal is right. And, conversely GSM too. He has become a nuisance to you - because you can't be bothered with him.

Is the relationship actually over now that you are "just one step down" from your manager?

I think, babs75 you need to ask yourself if you are too busy and involved with your own things to be married - your husband is very very low on your priorities list. You seem to be doing just what you want to.... which is what he'd like to do, but he'd like to include you in his life.

You work 8 hour days now though obviously more if "necessary" and say for a year you were working a lot more...
You have 2-3 Zumba classes a week
You find time to sew as a hobby
You go to circuits,
You clearly found time to take an astronomy class and purchased a telescope (which presumably you use).
You got certified to teach Zumba
You have also been busy with your 97 year old dad for the last 8 years!
... how much day is left?

Do you share a personal training session or do you do that separately?
I feel you now only do the estate sales together. No wonder he is looking for a share of your time.

You are asking should you have separate holidays (even though you don't want to travel)!! - When are you going to spend time with your husband if you do that?

Did you ever discuss retirement plans with him? Did you have different dreams for your later years? What were you both expecting? You say you have "made it work" that he retired two years early - but clearly you resent it. I'm sure you know construction is hard on the body and taking retirement is sometimes because you are just worn out.

You have listed several hobbies that the OP does and yet there seems to be only one that her DH enjoys which is going to estate sales.

It seems to me that many men who retire have no hobbies and aren't interested in finding any. I used to know a woman whose DH retired from the prison service. During his working life he lived away from home a lot of the time. Consequently he just wanted to stay at home for his holidays. The only time they went away was for an annual golfing trip in northern France when the wives accompanied their husbands.

The father of a friend was a regional director of a major bank. When he retired he insisted on accompanying his wife shopping, critcising everything she bought. She'd be buying the same things as she'd always bought whilst he was working. Luckily for her he was appointed Treasurer of the local golf club which took up a lot of his time, in addition to the time spent playing golf. His wife was very happy with the new arrangement.

Many of us were brought up to be able to make our own way in life. The OP found her new career 10 years ago. She's lucky that she enjoys it so much and that she is able to continue past retirement age if she wishes. Reading posts on other threads I suspect that there are many women on here who wish that they could say the same.

MaggsMcG Fri 22-Sep-23 12:13:54

You can almost guarantee if her husband does find something to do he loves it won't be long before she complains he doesn't have time for her.

Delila Fri 22-Sep-23 12:18:17

There’s nothing wrong with your husband’s desire to spend more time with you now that he’s retired. That doesn’t make him a “bloody nuisance”. He’s not asking too much - you are. Your OP reads like a CV, rather than an account of a relationship.

I hope, between you, you can find a compromise.

MillieBoris Fri 22-Sep-23 12:23:34

Bloody nuisance ! Quite agree

icanhandthemback Fri 22-Sep-23 12:24:26

NotSpaghetti says what I was thinking as I was reading it. I know how difficult it can be to fit a husband in when you've got a lot on your plate but marriage only works with efforts to meet in the middle. I have had an extraordinarily busy few years caring for my mother and all her affairs so I have had to ensure I make time for my retired husband. The difference seems to be that I enjoy his company whereas you don't seem to enjoy your husband's company.

HeavenLeigh Fri 22-Sep-23 12:41:31

Reading the post makes me feel quite sad. He sounds as if he just wants to spend a bit more time with you, agree he needs to find something to do for himself but I find it sad that he’s asking you let’s do something together, and you just want him to leave you alone.

EmilyHarburn Fri 22-Sep-23 12:51:18

It seems that you may not have had any children or grand children as these relationships might offer joint activities.

If it is just the two of you you may perhaps benefit from seeing a marriage counsellor to work out if you wish to stay together or not.

All the best on whatever you decide.