Gransnet forums

Relationships

What can I do?

(9 Posts)
Loubee Mon 18-Dec-23 12:51:57

Bit of a long one so please bear with me

Daughter has been in abusive relationships since the age of 17, she now has a 4 year old child and has been on her own for almost 3 years - should say a lot of this time has been recovering from 11 years of back to back emotional and financial abuse

She started online dating and has met a guy, within 12 weeks she has given up college, her part time job, sold her car and has stopped speaking to me, after I met him and he constantly belittled her and found out that on the 3 nights my gc was at home he was staying there (which due to recent events with children being killed by new partners) I didn’t agree.

I have looked after my gc since 9 months old, they lived with me for over a year and since they moved into their own place they stayed with me 3-4 nights per week. She has now said that unless he can be there too I can no longer be involved in her family.

I have such a close bond with my gc and now I’m being cut out of there life and I really don’t know what to do. I’ve said I don’t need to be involved in her relationship and I’m happy to let her make her own decisions but her blackmailing me with seeing gc unless I see him too is too much - I can’t sit back and watch this all happen again.

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Dec-23 13:27:30

It's cruel of your D to use your GC as emotional blackmail Loubee but in your position, I'd bite the bullet for now and say you'll see your D and GC while her boy friend is there.

It wont be easy but at least you'll retain your relationship with your GC and be able to keep an eye on them both.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Dec-23 13:28:33

I don’t think you will have much choice Loubee. It’s a difficult and painful situation for you but for your gc and dd sake try to stay in contact with them. It’s a new relationship so coukd break down so keep communicating.

If you feel your gc is at any risk from this new relationship do not hesitate to contact social services or nspcc with your concerns.

If your gc is at nursery or school hopefully they will be another watching eye.

V3ra Mon 18-Dec-23 14:01:01

Lots of red flags here already.
Keep the contact going, keep your eyes and ears open and don't pass comment.
In addition to silverlining48's advice about contacting social services and the NSPCC, let your grandchild's nursery or school know your concerns now, in confidence.
They can indeed be watchful.

eazybee Mon 18-Dec-23 14:31:10

Maintain contact, but does she mean she will continue to stay with you for three to four nights but boyfriend, who is already abusing her, must come too? Why?
A dangerous situation; be very careful.

AGAA4 Mon 18-Dec-23 14:49:50

This is very worrying for you Loubee but you need to keep a close eye on this man and your D and GC. If you are around you will be able to tell if things don't seem right and contact the safeguarding team at social services if you are worried.

Loubee Mon 18-Dec-23 16:19:47

Thank you all for your replies.

I met him for literally an hour and every time she spoke he cut her off and belittled her. I was seeing my gc as usual up until a fortnight ago, I share childcare with her due to work and college and she started saying that she can get them from school etc when I asked her if she was no longer in college and she told me she had quit. I’ve seen gc once in last fortnight, they are as sad as me and keeps asking if I’m still best friends with them - it’s breaking my heart

Cossy Mon 18-Dec-23 16:45:22

I second and support every single one of the comments here saying keep in contact as much as possible. If she “disappears” I’d pop round, if I couldn’t get in I’m afraid I’d consider making a call to social services, no one who has been involved in domestic abuse in the way you have witnessed wouldn’t take action given the red flags. I feel for you and your grandchildren and do genuinely fear for them and their mother. It’s a huge red flag if this new partner is already speaking to her in this way on your first and only meeting.

Carmen54 Sun 21-Jan-24 12:56:43

sorry to say but she sounds horrid saying that wow you have alot to deal with--I guess it is her life her child and she calls the shots anad as already said might be best to stay calm so thatyou can still see your GC and as importantly said keep an eye to make sure no abuse is taking place