Gransnet forums

Relationships

I feel like the other woman!

(27 Posts)
Rebecca0284 Tue 26-Dec-23 17:33:23

Hi all, I’m new to the group I’d really appreciate some advice.
My partner is 50 and I’m 39 we’ve been together 20 years he has two children from his marriage and we have a son 8, we recently found out he’s going to be a grandfather in July which is wonderful news! I’m really happy for his son and girlfriend. The thing is we had been together seven years before I found out he was married (but separated) with two children. The lies just kept coming he’d told me he didn’t see or speak to any of his family he went as far to say his dad had passed away!
Sadly we had just suffered a still birth when all this came to light that made things even harder to deal with.
Obviously we decided to give things a good I’m glad we did we’ve been so happy. We spent time with his children often and enjoyed doing things as a family. Since finding out about the new baby I’ve found him looking up he’s ex on social media and looking at her pictures NOT ones of his children.
I really don’t know what to do and I’m feeling like the other woman all over again.
I have tried speaking to him about this but he either shuts me down or we end up arguing.
I honestly don’t know what to do I love this man with all my heart.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Dec-23 17:49:43

A lot to unpick here. And of course these are just my own thoughts…

He lied a lot didn’t he? I can’t even imagine going out for seven years with anyone who had omitted to tell me he was married with children, albeit separated. When did he see them? You must have wondered at times when he took himself ‘off grid’ occasionally? Christmas with his boy(s) for instance?

And why pretend his father had died? Oh I get it even as I type. He couldn’t risk introducing you!

So, for years he lived a double life and you never knew. Did you suspect?

As Mary Angelou would say “if someone tells you who they are, believe them”.

Now he’s about to be a grandfather. He’s likely just curious about the grandmother in all this. Probably.

Well you love him. Even after finding out about his lies (I’d have run for the hills at that point alone). He won’t talk. He’s secretive.

Good luck going forward. I’d push communication.
It’s key.
He won’t like it though. It’s his nature to withhold.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 26-Dec-23 17:57:15

It doesn’t sound as if you’re married. You don’t refer to him as your husband. If he was married to his previous partner, did they ever divorce?

Fairycakes Tue 26-Dec-23 18:07:07

I can imagine how you feel. It isn't nice to be lied to, and it's manipulative. I have been in a similar position myself, though not about a relationship - more to do with money - which I think is easier to cope with. It's always difficult when we are lied to. How can we trust that person again?

The person who lied to me is still in my life but I don't think it's wise to trust him. Perhaps as Urmstongran said, communication is the key, but I would also caution against being too trusting in the future. Not taking everything he says at face value, so as not to be shocked if anything else comes to light.

Iam64 Tue 26-Dec-23 18:07:19

If I’ve understood you correctly, you were 19 and he was 30 when you got together. It was 7 years later you discovered he was married/separated with children. To add to this deceit, he told you more lies, that you couldn’t meet his father, who had died.
I’m not surprised you feel uneasy that he seems to be more interested in his ex wife on line. than their children and expected grandchild.

It sounds as though your relationship began in a tangle of lies. You’re feeling like ‘the other woman again’. That way of expressing it does suggest he might still have been in a relationship with his wife when you got together.

You say you love him but don’t know what to do. You’ve tried to talk with him, he shuts you down, you argue. I’m sorry you’re in a difficult place. Can you trust him. Trust is key in secure relationships. Have you considered Relate? Their counsellors are well trained. They’d see you alone if that feels easier for you, a safe space to work out how you feel and what you want to happen. Waiting lists are long but it’s free

eazybee Tue 26-Dec-23 18:14:16

He lied to you for seven years; you were only 19 when you met and I think he took advantage of your naivety. You refer to him as your partner yet talk of his ex-wife.
Do you know definitely that he is divorced?

As I read it, you still are the other woman, even though you now know his family and have a good relationship with them. You have your son to protect and I think you have to find out exactly what he is doing, and be clear about what you want.
Sadly, I think this is a man who is not prepared to commit.

flappergirl Tue 26-Dec-23 19:10:17

I hate to say this OP but I'd get my ducks in a row if I was you. This man has told you whopping lies. Basically he invented another persona to catch a 19 year old. Sorry to be so blunt. Now he's going to be a grandfather the dynamics have shifted. He is feeling closer to the mother of his adult son and thinking about the years they spent together, the memories they share etc which were all in his youth. Memories of youth are always more alluring than the cold, hard present. The two of them are going to share a close bond through this grand child and he's probably wistfully regretting their separation (did they ever divorce?). He has already proved himself to be a Billy Liar so I suspect that fantasy plays quite a role in his life. Now he is fantasising about the what ifs. As I said OP, get your ducks in a row.

sodapop Tue 26-Dec-23 19:30:28

I understand that you love your partner Rebecca and have been happy for some time. It seems though your life together has been based on lies and is now starting to unravel. It's very sad but I think you need to take the advice of flappergitl and get your ducks in a row.

Mand61 Tue 26-Dec-23 19:41:36

I came across a phrase a few years ago and I consider it often:
Don't make someone a priority when they make you an option.
You deserve the full meal, not crumbs from his table.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Dec-23 19:48:44

Mary Angelou again Mand61. 😊

Iam64 Tue 26-Dec-23 19:58:34

Hope you’re ok Rebecca. We seem to have an outbreak of agreement here on your situation. We are older than you and between us are likely to have come across this kind of deception, if not directly, then very close to us.

Urmstongran Tue 26-Dec-23 20:08:25

That was a kind message to Rebecca Iam.
Seconded.

flappergirl Tue 26-Dec-23 20:42:33

Another thing to consider Rebecca is his age. He is now 50, a soon to be grandfather. Whilst once your youth was exciting and boosted his ego, it could now be wearing thin. Presumably ex wife is a similar age to him and they have much more in common. That along with starting over again with a young child. It's easier to be a grandad than a dad at that age. Please put yourself and your son first in this scenario.

welbeck Tue 26-Dec-23 22:34:50

i don't think relate is free, except for certain groups.
but that's a detail.
agree with the consensus.
don't cast your pearl before swine.

Allsorts Sun 31-Dec-23 06:12:54

You can't trust a liar. Ever. I have to respect and trust the person I love and so I couldn't be with him in the first place. Everything was a lie from the beginning so you fell in love with a person you didn't and don't know now.

luluaugust Sun 31-Dec-23 07:27:28

I am sorry but I think you are right to be wary I fear he will be seeing a lot more of his ex when the grandchild arrives. Does she have a partner now?
Really good advice being given, please look after your and your sons needs

Vintagewhine Sun 31-Dec-23 08:00:42

I've two friends who have been with a similar partner and neither relationship ended well. Please think of yourself and your son first and foremost.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 31-Dec-23 08:12:30

As they would ask as one voice on Mumsnet...Are you married? Do you work? Do you own a house together?

Your son is very much your priority. And should be his priority and you as well.
Relate would be a good start. If he won't talk. You need someone to talk to about the current situation. Get a grip on your finances.

Luckygirl3 Sun 31-Dec-23 09:47:36

I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation - it must be so upsetting. The fact that your partner lied so profoundly to you about something so important and for such a long time is very worrying. And now he is shutting you down when you try and communicate with him about your concerns.

None of this is good and must be very hard for you.

I hope that you have family and friends to lean on during this difficult time.

Trust is the foundation of any relationship and he has seriously breached this. Please make sure your priorities are you and your son.

lemsip Sun 31-Dec-23 10:20:51

how can you be with someone for 7 years without finding out about him and where he's been. were you the other woman without realising it.

dogsmother Sun 31-Dec-23 10:24:11

You have some wonderful advice to digest here, from worldly wise people.
It’s up to you to hear what’s being said and make your choices about how you react to your partner now. But you are young and should never be shut down for wanting open honest communication. It’s not the way to have a trusting relationship.

Shelflife Sun 31-Dec-23 10:29:25

This man took advantage when you were 19 ! He has lied and lied, you were with him 7 years before you knew the truth - that is unforgivable. You love him I can see that but are you happy? Look after yourself and your son .

pascal30 Sun 31-Dec-23 11:38:46

You have been together for 20 years and have spent a lotoftime with his children who have obviously accepted you.. is it at all possible that they would accept their father upsetting your relationship in favour of their mother.. is she still alone.. and would she even consider reciprocating his feelings if he did try to approach her..
I think he's more likely to be having unrealistic regrets because he's about to become a GF and he remembers having his first child. These are probably fantasies, but as others have said I would keep your eyes open... and trust your instincts.. you are older and wiser now..

BlueBelle Sun 31-Dec-23 11:42:31

I gong think Rebecca is going to come back

Ilovecheese Sun 31-Dec-23 12:54:35

I don't think it is necessarily true that you will see more of his ex wife when the grandchild arrives, there is no need.

I also don't think it is true that;

"He is feeling closer to the mother of his adult son and thinking about the years they spent together, the memories they share etc which were all in his youth. Memories of youth are always more alluring than the cold, hard present. The two of them are going to share a close bond through this grand child and he's probably wistfully regretting their separation " (quote from flappergirl) he might not be thinking anything of the kind, just a vague curiosity. So don't torture yourself with those thoughts.