Gransnet forums

Relationships

i think my husband is rude

(44 Posts)
Teabags55 Wed 27-Dec-23 12:22:21

My elderly mother came over for Xmas dinner she is 92 and had to go and sit in the kitchen on a higher chair. My husband never came out to speak to her until the lunch was on the table and that was 2 hrs later .am i wrong to think he could of made the effort to come out to speak to her.

Cabbie21 Wed 27-Dec-23 12:34:51

Yes, he could and should have made the effort, but it was two days ago- let it go now. Don’t let it fester and cause a rift- unless your mother was upset, in which case he should try to make it up to her in some way. I guess she was busy watching what was going on in the kitchen then eating and enjoying the food and didn’t really notice.

Smileless2012 Wed 27-Dec-23 12:38:32

No you are not wrong and in your position I'd have had words with him when your mum had left.

Talk to him before she comes over again, tell him he was rude on Christmas day and you don't want a repeat of his unacceptable behaviour.

Dinahmo Wed 27-Dec-23 12:39:22

Perhaps you mother was enjoying herself sitting with you whilst you prepared the lunch?

Smileless2012 Wed 27-Dec-23 12:45:06

She may well have been Dinahmo but that doesn't excuse bad manners.

2020convert Wed 27-Dec-23 12:48:53

Bit of a strange one! Presume she wasn’t alone in the kitchen? Presume your husband wasn’t alone wherever he was? Was he the only one who didn’t make the effort? What about after the meal, did she remain alone in the kitchen?

Gwyllt Wed 27-Dec-23 12:49:34

May I be so bold as to ask how well your husband usually get on with your mum.
Did your mum pass any comment
Do you think she had a problem

Visgir1 Wed 27-Dec-23 12:53:38

It would take nothing to say Hello.. How was he with her at the dinning table? if they were fine leave it until they meet up again then tell him, don't ignore her, was he aware he left it 2 hrs?
Not defending him as I would have given my DH earache straight away and not left it.

Aveline Wed 27-Dec-23 12:54:28

Could the higher chair not have moved to a more sociable spot?

BlueBelle Wed 27-Dec-23 13:28:52

Why not ask him these questions I don’t see at all how anyone here could possibly read your husbands mind to know why he didn’t go to speak to her in 2 hours ?? A mystery only he can answer and his answer will probably be ‘oh did you need me to I thought you were looking after her’

BigBertha1 Wed 27-Dec-23 13:30:30

I would have dragged him into the kitchen to greet his MIL and pour her a welcome drink! Rude defintely.

Katie59 Wed 27-Dec-23 14:08:41

If mum was sitting in the kitchen with me while I prepared the lunch I would expect my OH to greet her and makes sure she had anything she needed, chat for a few mins then go about what he was doing.
I would not want him cluttering up the kitchen.

pascal30 Wed 27-Dec-23 14:17:07

He doesn't sound very socially competent or caring but perhaps he just doesn't like your mum? seems a bit weird as presumably you've been married for a long time..

Glorianny Wed 27-Dec-23 14:21:16

When my mum was with us she was provided with a suitable chair to sit in wherever the family was gathering. If there was only one chair she could use it was moved when needed. She spent one Christmas with a relative who seated her with 2 other older ladies and was deeply offended because she felt left out. She made sure we all knew about it. I wonder how your mother felt?

Millie22 Wed 27-Dec-23 14:52:32

At 92 she's a bit old for a high chair.

Theexwife Wed 27-Dec-23 15:02:48

I went to my daughters for Christmas, when I arrived I went to the room my son in law was in and said hello and thanked him for inviting me then I spent the next couple of hours with my daughter in the kitchen, I did not expect him to come and speak to us.

NannyJan53 Wed 27-Dec-23 15:08:10

So he doesn't even help with cooking the Christmas dinner either and leaves you to it?

My partner cooks most of the dinner Christmas Day, and I help (which is reverse to what happens day to day). He greeted Mum with a hug and a kiss, made her a cuppa, and made sure she was comfortably seated, and even chatted to her inbetween the cooking. This is normal behaviour surely, with any visitor.?

So yes, he is rude!

Hithere Wed 27-Dec-23 15:11:40

Not enough info as is

First time this happens?

Were hellos exchanged between when she arrived?

What was your husband doing during those two hours?

Were there more guests or tasks to take care of?

Nicolenet Fri 29-Dec-23 11:08:55

Get rid of that husband, it's never too late!

MerylStreep Fri 29-Dec-23 11:15:18

Millie22

At 92 she's a bit old for a high chair.

Brilliant 😂

Missiseff Fri 29-Dec-23 11:38:37

I'm more concerned that you used 'of' instead of 'have' confused

Bluesmum Fri 29-Dec-23 12:35:52

Sorry but I need more information before I can comment! Who else was in your house and did they greet your Mother? Why did you not simply say to your husband “ mums here, she has to sit in the kitchen - go and say hello”. Why did you not take the higher chair your mother needed into the room where your husband/other company was so she was not isolated (assuming she was?) What is your husbands usual attitude towards your Mother? Is he usually a rude person by habit? Could it be he was totally unaware she was there? Sorry, but I cannot help feeling there must be an explanation for his behaviour!

Bluesmum Fri 29-Dec-23 12:40:53

Apologies,I realise most of my points have already been made!!!

Ziplok Fri 29-Dec-23 12:41:21

It’s unkind to pull posters up over their grammar. I’m guessing you understood what was being said, so why the unpleasant remark? Totally unnecessary.

Bella23 Fri 29-Dec-23 12:53:02

Gwyllt

May I be so bold as to ask how well your husband usually get on with your mum.
Did your mum pass any comment
Do you think she had a problem

I was thinking that as well. My DH would vanish fishing when either mother visited, my mum did not mind as my father had been a fisherman as well.
My MIL did and took it out on me for many years until I told her it was her son and to tell him. Where I come from the saying is, "I don't know who brought you up?"I could hear it in the kitchen and DH turned and told her she did and if his father was still alive maybe he would not have to disappear.
You don't know your husband's motives.