Gransnet forums

Relationships

Hamster wheel of life!

(13 Posts)
Bird40 Sat 27-Jan-24 10:12:55

I am staring at rock bottom but trying to maintain a sense of humour. I am a 'single mum' and this really does mean v little help. I have no family nearby. I am proud to work full time as a nurse, having qualified recently in my mid 40's. Other than work,I sleep and i do housework, look after the kids. My kids are relaxed and happy and dont appear to be picking up on my deterioration.
Health conditions knock me out and these include a condition that gives me uncontrolled explosive diarrhea πŸ˜‚ I laugh, but it's embarrassing and literally drains my energy. Its nit unusual to have issues at work and I have to just sort it, smile and get to my next appt.
I also have chronic pain & some uncomfortable gyna issues. (I'm quite the catch!) Despite this I try to be as energetic and positive as possible. I live In a caravan at the moment because there was nowhere to rent and thre land is being repossed. Its not my land- I have no control over this.
I could be homeless with my children any day and the local authority can't help me. They are really caring, but there is no accommodation to put us in.
I've been applying for alterative rentals but these are gold dust.
My rage isn't about this...it's about the fact that I have quiet a wealthy and well to do family that have always married well (most of the women have had little part time jobs, or inherited holiday let's so don't need to worry about money)
I am fed up with being told I get 'all those top ups' and that if I had more energy and vitality...that I'd be able to afford my own house and that my lack of work ethic has got me where I am.

The truth is that my childhood sucked. Its never an excuse for bad behaviour and I've never acted out or Been In trouble...my behaviour is self destructive ie low self esteem, low paid jobs, awful choice in man. My first husband was abusive, I belive actually gay, controlled our money,made all the decisions and was a lot older than me. The marriage was based on coercion and lies. I still have counselling 5 years on.
My recent relationship (only my second proper relationship and this Includes my ex husband) has been equally awful. After 3 years it became very clear he has profound mental health issues,hordes terribly, and struggles to care for himself. His children are frankly not v nice. One takes a lot of drugs and 18 mo the ago she moved out of her dads homw and was then living in a hostel. At Christmas she went back to the hosue knowing we weren't there, and stole some of my belongings. My own children have had abusive calls from her, she lies, causes chaos and I've had her screaming at me in the street. I have hardly had any contact with her so I am unsure what this is about. My partner with the mh issues is not in the right condition to tackle her. I need to move away, break free from this chaotic relationship and heal. I know this.

I don't buy new anything, I don't do drugs, I don't go out...all i ever do is earn enough to get me through to the next month. All i want is somewhere quiet and safe for own children.
I dont care how small it is as long as i can heat it and cook. A mortage of 500 a month would be affordable yet i cant get one. I am looking at rent of 1,200 ajd although yes, will get some help with this....there is little choice and the rental i have potentially found has no central heating and double glazing is shot.
If i had a 'posher'small home that i owned,the bills would be cheaper for instance making life more affordable. I know thousands of people are in the same boat same
Hamster wheel of life. Thanks for listening x

midgey Sat 27-Jan-24 11:11:57

flowers life can be very hard but there’s always a tiny chink of light somewhere. Good luck.

Dee1012 Sat 27-Jan-24 11:25:42

I don't have any wonderful words of wisdom to write, I wish I did.
I can empathise with a lot of the things you've written about though... I've experienced similar.
I did move away and it was one of the best decisions I ever made, although at the time I was convinced it was yet another bad choice.
I had two young boys too....it can be done.
I wish you all the very best thanks

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 27-Jan-24 11:49:17

I couldn't pass by without wishing you a brighter future. I was a single parent so recognise that hamster wheel very well. If I were to offer you any advice it would be to reconsider your relationship with this man who is not adding anything very positive to your life, to put it mildly!
Would any of your family act as guarantor for you to find somewhere to live?
Good luck 🀞

Smileless2012 Sat 27-Jan-24 11:53:44

Just want to say that I think you're pretty amazing Bird flowers.

Aldom Sat 27-Jan-24 12:07:58

Bird you are a wonderful person. A good mum and a credit to your profession. I wish I could wave the proverbial 'magic wand' over your situation. As it is, I hope and wish that something will change for you and life /health /housing will improve. flowers All the best.

crazyH Sat 27-Jan-24 12:23:34

I’m glad you came here and told us your story, sad and difficult though it is. Life s pretty tough for you, but you are coping the best you can and you should be proud of yourself. I hope something will change and life will take a brighter turn. flowers

V3ra Sat 27-Jan-24 15:28:27

Bird40 there might be some help available through these links:

www.rcn.org.uk/Get-Help/Member-support-services/Financial-wellbeing/Charitable-funding-and-other-help

grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/

www.juniusmorgan.org.uk/#

cavell.org.uk/

Best wishes for a brighter future xx

pascal30 Sat 27-Jan-24 15:45:54

It sounds as though you are a fantastic mumand colleague. It must be incredibly hard having tonurse fulltime with your medical condition,which I'm sure isn'thelped by stress. Given that we have such a shortage of nurses, have you considered moving to a much cheaper area where you could buy a little house? And be able to leave the toxic areas of your life behind..

grannyactivist Sat 27-Jan-24 15:46:41

england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/emergency_grants_loans_and_money_help

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 27-Jan-24 18:24:34

Sending you hugs Bird40, you are amazing to keep going and I wholeheartedly wish everything good for you flowers x

fancythat Sun 28-Jan-24 10:02:22

I think you do need to move away.
I dont know how it works as regards getting a nursing job elsewhere?

SporeRB Sun 28-Jan-24 13:43:40

Have you contact Skipton Building Society? They provide 100% mortgage exclusively for renters.

www.skipton.co.uk/press-office/press-release-article?BlogID=%7B13A47958-66DB-4D1A-B686-F7BFCF3FD742%7D