Gransnet forums

Relationships

Proposing to my partner

(69 Posts)
cassy Mon 05-Feb-24 18:32:12

Been with my partner for 7 years and would like to know a good way to propose. I cannot think of anything. And what do I do it with? A ring, a watch?

Hellllllp!

Grandmabatty Mon 05-Feb-24 18:34:37

Leap Year? 29th of February?
Take him/her for a walk to your favourite place and do it there. I wouldn't use a ring. Maybe choose rings together.

cassy Mon 05-Feb-24 18:37:08

I feel I should take something though. He likes watches but I wouldn't want to buy one he didn't like

cassy Mon 05-Feb-24 18:37:49

And yes - because its 29th February and Leap Year

BlueBelle Mon 05-Feb-24 18:41:27

Only you know your partner I don’t think others can tell you as we ve no idea what sort of person he is or what he likes
Use your knowledge of him only you know what’s the best way to do it

cassy Mon 05-Feb-24 18:42:18

He's easygoing I just need ideas

Wheniwasyourage Mon 05-Feb-24 18:46:15

Why do you need anything? Just go for it and propose! Then you can choose rings together so that you both get something you like. Good luck!

SueDonim Mon 05-Feb-24 18:46:44

If you Google ‘How to propose marriage to a man’ you’ll find a wealth of suggestions. Good luck! shamrock

dogsmother Mon 05-Feb-24 18:52:35

Does he read? Buy him a book and make a homemade bookmark with the proposal on.

Knitandnatter Mon 05-Feb-24 18:55:57

cassy

I feel I should take something though. He likes watches but I wouldn't want to buy one he didn't like

Then get creative and make him a pretend watch - think cooking foil, cardboard packaging, maybe even some sequins.......the cheesier the better.
Visit a location special to you both and just do it.........and then enjoying shopping for engagement rings.
Oh, nearly forgot.........Good luck!!!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 05-Feb-24 19:45:04

This is a very personal thing. You should think of something yourself.

flappergirl Mon 05-Feb-24 19:49:21

If you know him well enough to marry him I would imagine you'd have a fair idea of the sort of watch he'd like.

cassy Mon 05-Feb-24 19:49:49

@Germanshepherdsmum I wanted ideas...but thanks for the input :-)

midgey Mon 05-Feb-24 19:59:12

My daughter asked her now husband with a bicycle bell!

Whethertomorrow Mon 05-Feb-24 20:43:15

I would do it privately in a place that you both like and visit. Just a heartfelt ‘ I love you. Will you please marry me?’

If you do it in front of friends, family or strangers he might say no which is embarrassing or say yes because he feels pressured.

You don’t need fancy surroundings or decoration to propose.

My dear husband said this to me when he proposed unexpectedly.

“The love that I have is all that I have, and all that I have is yours”

This is probably a quote from somewhere but I never cared to find out as it meant so much to me anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Esmay Mon 05-Feb-24 20:54:25

What are his likes , hobbies and interests?
I need a prompt !

lixy Mon 05-Feb-24 21:04:51

There is still mistletoe on the trees around here. Maybe find a good clump near to you and propose under it?

Though I do like the making a watch from tin foil idea!

Hope all goes well whatever you do.

Dempie55 Mon 05-Feb-24 21:05:21

Haribo gummi ring, no ££ lost if he declines the offer.

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Feb-24 00:25:08

Not sure you need an object...
Surely only words are what's required. (And maybe a kiss if successful?)

OldFrill Tue 06-Feb-24 01:01:38

Definitely a ring if he wears them, if not a watch.
Midnight as the clock strikes into the 29th. Fizz, candles, moonlight... preferably overlooking the ocean, the sound of waves...
A castle would be good!
A distant piper!
Alternatively...
Daytime walk up a secluded hill- stroke of midday - a watch, flask of coffee and whisky in a hip flask to seal the deal, oatcakes and cheese, cue Piper in the distance....
A great view....
Or....
If it happens to be snowing... Build a snowman together and when it's done ... propose as you know "he'll never melt away"
I can probably come up with many more... Let us know what you do!

Katie59 Tue 06-Feb-24 05:37:36

Honestly as it’s a leap year I would propose on 29th February, just say “as it’s leap year John will you marry me”, worry about rings and stuff later. Just hold his hand, look into his eyes and pop the question, if you get a cool response make a joke of it “I’ll ask again in 4 yrs time” you have sown the seeds at least.

NotSpaghetti Tue 06-Feb-24 10:43:26

I'm with you on this Katie59.
No "props" and fakery.
Pure and simple.
I probably wouldn't bother with the date either!

NotANana Fri 09-Feb-24 11:13:19

I always feel that it is kinder to allow the parson to chose what they would like (after all, they will be wearing it for a long time) rather than "pop the question" with an expensive item which may not be quite right.
This applies to engagement rigs, watches or anything else...

pen50 Fri 09-Feb-24 11:15:40

Whethertomorrow

I would do it privately in a place that you both like and visit. Just a heartfelt ‘ I love you. Will you please marry me?’

If you do it in front of friends, family or strangers he might say no which is embarrassing or say yes because he feels pressured.

You don’t need fancy surroundings or decoration to propose.

My dear husband said this to me when he proposed unexpectedly.

“The love that I have is all that I have, and all that I have is yours”

This is probably a quote from somewhere but I never cared to find out as it meant so much to me anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

For those who are interested, the poem and its doubly poignant back story are here: www.greatestpoems.com/the-life-that-i-have/

If you can find a copy, Leo Marks' book, Between Silk and Cyanide, is extraordinary and well worth reading.

cc Fri 09-Feb-24 11:17:06

Dempie55

Haribo gummi ring, no ££ lost if he declines the offer.

Yes, a friend's daughter got married during lockdown with a Haribo gummi ring, but I suppose it depends on his sense of humour.
I cooked peppered steak for my husband and then proposed, it worked well! Personally I'd always do it over a meal and forget about the ring or watch.