Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Storms

(5 Posts)
numberplease Mon 22-Sep-14 15:56:34

I`d rather be outside than in in a thunderstorm. When we only had 2 children (a very long time ago!), there was a terrible thunderstorm, lashings of rain, I wrapped them both up, plonked them in the twin pushchair, and walked the mile and a half to my mother-in-law`s house...........only to find that she`d gone out! One of my sisters-in-law turned up at the same time, so with her help, we took a bus back to her house to dry out.

Oldgreymare Mon 22-Sep-14 09:34:08

At my most fearful, I spent the duration of one storm in a sleeping bag in the 'under the stairs cupboard' with a bottle of sherry....... the family continue to dine out on this story.
Then I went back to teaching and had to hide my fear lest the children became frightened too.
I drove thro the most recent storm and actually enjoyed the experience, spectacular lightning, safe in my Faraday's cage!
The local news, next day, reported a month's rainfall in a night.

numberplease Sun 21-Sep-14 23:01:51

By the way, my grandma used to talk about thunderbolts, described them as a ball of fire, said one came rolling down her stairs, they opened the door and it went outside.............but I think she might have been pulling my leg!

numberplease Sun 21-Sep-14 22:59:53

A few years ago, we had a very violent thunderstorm, after one lightening flash, the router blew up, there was an almighty bang, and a bright orange flash on the wall just outside the window. Scared me and my daughter, and cost us a new router.

goldengirl Sun 21-Sep-14 20:10:25

I've never been scared of thunder and lightning - it's the fairies moving their furniture after all grin - but we had a very close call on Friday evening.

We had GD and 4 school friends staying over and they'd just arrived when the heavens opened and all hell let loose. The storm came closer and closer until the thunder roared directly overhead when there was the brightest flash and the loudest BANG I'd ever heard. Something had hit the roof - and I felt it to the extent my heart did a jitter. I've never been so scared though I didn't let on to the girls who weren't at all bothered fortunately (10 year olds). I soon returned to normal and DH thought I might have received a bit of residual current but boy, I've never experienced anything like before.

Has anyone else ever been affected by lightning?