Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Change name problem

(57 Posts)
soontobe Sat 24-Jan-15 13:01:23

I am trying to change my username.

I am either doing it wrong, or there is a problem.
I cannot wipe out this name and put a new name in the username box.

or shall I just email gransnet HQ?

soontobe Sat 24-Jan-15 19:01:02

Very much so yes.
But if anyone I know wanted to look me up, they would only see part of what I have written.

So if say I was to write that my neighbour annoyed half the village with his big bright lights[which he did], if say he were to wander on here, or if say a different neighbour wandered on here, if I were to name change, only half of what I had written would be seeable. Theperson who wandered in would not see the other half of what I write.

The neighbour in question does not realise that he annoyed so many people.

See! I am a blabber mouth.

I sort of see gransnet has reasonably private. Which it is. But it is not totally private.
So I am going to have to curb what I write a bit I think.

soontobe Sat 24-Jan-15 19:04:11

I will try and start from this point.

Beginning with not posting anything else on this thread!
zips mouth forever!

loopylou Sat 24-Jan-15 19:20:29

Now confused, doesn't seem to take much to scramble my brain.....

aggie Sat 24-Jan-15 19:26:03

Any forum I have been on , when you change your name , it does it retrospectively so all your old posts are under your new name , so no point in changing if the content of your posts are what discloses your identity . Logging out/getting Mods to kick you out , and rejoining solves this wink

absent Sat 24-Jan-15 19:28:00

If your neighbour looked at Gransnet, which anyone can do without being a member, he would find your post about him written by soontobe. It doesn't go away just because you change your name.

Ana Sat 24-Jan-15 19:30:16

They don't do that on here, aggie, your old posts stay under the old username.

But unless you have a very good reason, they are very reluctant to let you change your name so it looks as though the best option is to leave and rejoin, as you say.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 24-Jan-15 19:33:12

It's probably a good idea to bear in mind that anything put on the internet is potentially available to anyone, even if it is protected by passwords. That's why I never post about how difficult it is to clean a crown or how sore it is when one's horse stands on one's foot. Ooops, what a give-away!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 24-Jan-15 19:35:54

Oh! I see! I thought you meant a tooth crown. And you really had a horse. But you mean.... Oh! Never mind. More confused by the minute on here. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 24-Jan-15 19:40:36

soon. Try this. Click on My Gransnet in the green line thing up the top. Then click on 'preferences'. At the bottom of the page you will see 'delete my registration'. Click on that. Then join again as a different person. You could be 'Iamnow'. See? 'Soontobe' - 'Iamnow'.

Go on give it a try. I dare you. If you are not back in an hour, under new name, we will all contact GNHQ en masse to protest.

Ok? smile

loopylou Sat 24-Jan-15 19:46:22

jingl you are priceless grin!

absent Sat 24-Jan-15 19:47:57

But jingl no one had the slightest problem in recognising your new incarnations each of the many times you changed your name. Other Gransnetters with distinctive writing styles or particular obsessions interests about which they often posted were/are immediately recognisable under new names. soontobe will be obvious even she calls herself neverwas.

thatbags Sat 24-Jan-15 19:50:23

That's what I was thinking too, loopy grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 24-Jan-15 19:51:02

Oh yes.

Never mind! Give it a go. smile

Ana Sat 24-Jan-15 19:51:24

But soontobe isn't trying to present herself as a new member, she's just proposing not to give any personal information away in her new incarnation.

loopylou Sat 24-Jan-15 19:52:07

Poor soontobe/Iamnow/neverwas..... Go and have a nice big wine. and I'll join you! confused confused

soontobe Sat 24-Jan-15 20:00:03

wine I will do what you suggest in a month jingl.

FarNorth Sat 24-Jan-15 20:09:03

You can subtly change the facts when you describe things, soon, so that it wouldn't be obvious to someone who knows you that they are reading your posts.
If you have another email address you could just join as a new member, using that email, and then you could post as both soontobe and dontknowwhoiam all the while altering the details in your posts. Then your disguise would be complete.

Ana Sat 24-Jan-15 20:14:23

If that were possible, we'd all be doing it. We could have conversations/arguments with ourselves and all sorts... confused

POGS Sat 24-Jan-15 23:05:13

Some posters do.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 24-Jan-15 23:11:32

Surely not.

Ana Sat 24-Jan-15 23:12:32

Really, POGS? confused How do you know this?

absent Sat 24-Jan-15 23:26:15

Some posters certainly have in the past and have been unceremoniously ousted from Gransnet when discovered. Best not to go there.

kittylester Sun 25-Jan-15 08:31:22

I've been really busy lately and , having just read this thread from beginning to end, either I've lost the plot or I need a long lie down!

Anya Sun 25-Jan-15 08:44:32

I don't think there was a 'plot' to lose kitty wink

janeainsworth Sun 25-Jan-15 09:01:12

I'm just wondering what Elegran was doing on an American dating site shock