Gransnet forums

Site stuff

New members

(96 Posts)
soontobe Sat 04-Jul-15 09:23:30

I realised yesterday, that Gransnet are getting new members, at the very rough figure of 150 per month. Through the Bookclub and Competitions topics.

I presume that once people register, not that many deregister.

Hardly any of those join the talking part of the site, but I guess that that doesnt matter.

NanKate Sun 05-Jul-15 07:16:47

Yes Mini that is a possibility but as there are so few men on Gransnet I think we would have noticed a 'newby' amongst us.

MiniMouse Sun 05-Jul-15 14:20:40

Good point NanK. I think I'm just trying to be optimistic!

petra Mon 06-Jul-15 13:06:22

Is she for real? I'm sure there are some here who know what I'm talking about.

Charleygirl Mon 06-Jul-15 13:21:33

PapaOscar is fine and has changed his name.

hildajenniJ Mon 06-Jul-15 13:22:50

Where has MiceElf gone? I have missed her posts recently, also pompa and papaoscar.

Ariadne Mon 06-Jul-15 13:25:09

petra one wonders...

Elegran Mon 06-Jul-15 13:27:52

Unfortunately, I suspect yes. No would have dealt with more easily.

Rosannabanna Mon 06-Jul-15 13:37:05

I'm a relative newbie. I joined as a result of a link on the Age UK website. I'm not actually a gran, I have 3 children in their 20s and I am 'older' (early 60s) so I thought this site would be more appropriate than something like Mumsnet.

I don't have lots of time to visit so I come occasionally and read some of the threads. I find it interesting to see what people are saying, especially about current affairs, but I have also been a little taken aback by some of the argumentative threads which can get a bit nasty and that is offputting for new people.

It can also seem as though a lot of the regular posters know each other and so they talk to each other and random posters don't get much of a look in. I posted something hastily some months ago and didn't like the reaction I got so feel much less likely to do that again. Maybe that is why people change their username as I gather has been done by some??

I'd quite like to join the Bookclub but clearly you have to get the timing right. I don't think I realised there were freebies. I like how active and varied the site is so I just enjoy it from afar. I'm not much of a talker anyway.

So there you are, a message from a reticent newbie grin

p.s. I can get there, in the end, with the acronyms!

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:50:20

Nice to hear from you Rosanna. Do stay around and join in - some members have met each other, many others haven't, but when usernames become familiar it's often quite easy to learn where they stand on different issues so perhaps that can be off-putting to shyer new members. Beware of getting addicted, though. I really should be doing something but the dishes will still be in the sink at teatime! grin

Andyf Mon 06-Jul-15 14:46:16

I have been around for a few months but only commented on 'safe' subjects for fear of getting nasty hurtful replies (the like of which I've been reading today on another thread). I'm not the kind of person who would intentionally provoke nastiness though.

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 15:34:54

I think I know Papa Oscar's new name. sounds like him anyway.smile

NanKate Mon 06-Jul-15 16:28:29

That's really good Roses that Papaoscar is ok. I've seen a number of comments recently from Pompa so that's the men sorted. smile

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 16:34:58

Yes, we can't lose the few men that we have! grin

annsixty Mon 06-Jul-15 16:49:01

I do think about wills&co .

NanKate Mon 06-Jul-15 17:15:05

Why was Willsandco so memorable Ann ?

annsixty Mon 06-Jul-15 17:32:47

I thought you would remember herNankate . She was a GNer who remarried last year and just before, she was diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease. She was so brave and positive but the last time she posted she was in a wheelchair and had lost her speech plus other things but still cheerful, to us anyway. She posted her wedding photographs and they were full of joy.

NanKate Mon 06-Jul-15 17:40:27

I do, now you remind me Ann, how desperately sad! What an awful disease it is.

It makes me realise how we need to treat each day as our last.

Iam64 Mon 06-Jul-15 18:36:51

Yes indeed NanKate, even on a forum like this. Not that I'd refer to another thread, of course smile

I miss mice elf as well, and I suspect I know what petra means and even agree with her. Does that make us all a cult?

Ariadne Mon 06-Jul-15 19:13:51

Oh, probably!

willsandco - an amazingly brave woman, strong, empathic and non judgemental.

NanKate Tue 07-Jul-15 21:40:07

Rosesarered I think I have sussed Papaoscar in his new guise on another thread. I recognised his humour and his new name relates to his old one.

Can I be Dr Watson to your Sherlock Holmes ? grin