Gransnet forums

Site stuff

What are these annoying boxes?

(53 Posts)
Anya Thu 03-Sep-15 09:07:47

What are these little boxes that have suddenly appeared with thumbs up, or pin it, or 0?

They are obscuring some of my screen and I don't understand them.

Go away!!

Anya Thu 03-Sep-15 09:08:04

PS I'm using an iPad.

joannapiano Thu 03-Sep-15 09:10:22

I'm using a laptop, and have them too.

Indinana Thu 03-Sep-15 09:11:52

I was just about to start a thread myself about these. So irritating. GN suddenly appeared to go offline, then when it came back on a few minutes later the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest things were there, obscuring part of the display. Can't easily select 'Active' now, because these are in the way.

I'm on a laptop.

Lona Thu 03-Sep-15 09:12:38

I haven't got them on my tablet but I've been unable to access the site for about ten minutes so maybe tech is working on something.

Indinana Thu 03-Sep-15 09:12:56

No, correction: can't select 'Active' at all.

Anya Thu 03-Sep-15 09:15:25

Why can't they be lined up somewhere more sensible? And what do they mean?

Come on techniwise grans and help us out here hmm

Anya Thu 03-Sep-15 09:16:57

Can't even see 'Active' never mind select it!

cant be doing with this - logging off

ayse Thu 03-Sep-15 09:26:27

I'm not interested in these additions, especially as they get in the way! On my tablet it keeps wanting me to download apps. that I don't want - I'm sure I'm quite capable of working out what I want to do without all this stuff interfering! angry

POGS Thu 03-Sep-15 09:27:02

Me too blasted things are annoying cover ring the active box.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Sep-15 09:36:28

Oh! Thank the Lord! I've been sitting here trying to get rid of 'em! I thought I'd pressed a wrong key somewhere.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 03-Sep-15 09:36:49

It's a blip. We're fixing, sorry! They'll be gone soon. We struggling to click on Active too.

kittylester Thu 03-Sep-15 09:45:58

Do you think it was a mistake to change anything at all Lara. Things seem to be having lots of hiccups since you came up with the new mobile site. And, there are still loads of things that I don't like and I really, really hate the daily news letter thingy.

Anniebach Thu 03-Sep-15 09:49:39

So irritating

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 03-Sep-15 09:52:00

I unsubscribed from the newsletter. They were coming too thick and fast. Felt like spam.

merlotgran Thu 03-Sep-15 10:13:50

Thank goodness it's only a blip. I thought it was my laptop playing up.

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 10:21:46

Didn't they used to be on the lhs of the screen, but away from the actual forum pages? Please put them back there!

POGS Thu 03-Sep-15 10:23:09

I appreciate the work GNHQ puts in to keep GN going but I think I will opt out of the daily newsletter too.

Luckygirl Thu 03-Sep-15 10:24:30

I managed to get into "Active" via "Inbox", which has also changed in strange ways.

ninathenana Thu 03-Sep-15 10:46:41

Mobile site hasn't changed, as far as I can see. One of the things that used to bug me about the desktop site were the symbols on the left. I have had trouble a couple of times this morning logging in.

Ana Thu 03-Sep-15 10:51:00

I'm getting into Active by clicking on Forums each time - fiddly way of doing it.

I just delete the daily newsletters now before even opening them. Shame, because the weekly ones were really good!

Anya Thu 03-Sep-15 10:56:41

How about a compromise - a twice weekly newsletter? I miss all the little quotes from the forums too.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 03-Sep-15 11:11:11

Can assure you the tech glitches today have nothing to do with the mobile site. smile. Tech are working on fixing the social media buttons so please bear with us while they do that. Fingers crossed it shouldn't take long but the reason the site goes offline for a few minutes is when those changes are implemented.
We have to update and improve the site as we go on (not least because of nefarious hacker characters). We'll review the newsletter too but at the moment it's proving popular as a daily with most. It shouldn't take long to glance over it and see if there's anything that takes your interest. And if not, please email us and let us know what you'd like to see more/less of?

TriciaF Thu 03-Sep-15 11:26:07

Same problem here too, can't post either so see if this works

TriciaF Thu 03-Sep-15 11:26:44

Seems OK now smile