Gransnet forums

Sport

Go go go The Foxes

(97 Posts)
granjura Sat 09-Apr-16 19:51:39

as a Leicester adoptee for 34 years- I am very excited at the prostpect of winning by a massive margin. A fabulous under-dog story. Not a football fan really, we were great Tigers (rugby) supporters- and my home game is ice-hockey of course-
but we will be cheering the Foxes all the way with our Leicester friends.

And I can't wait to see Gary presenting 'Match of the day' in his underpants, lol.
I remember the days when he used to help at his father's fruit and veg stall on Leicester market- he was so shy then. Happy days. (we lived there from 1975 to 2009). In the 70s we used to meet a lot of LCFC- as one of our neighbours was a key player.

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 17:17:44

ooops indeed- back to football and the Foxes...

Imperfect27 Sun 10-Apr-16 17:47:34

Alima grin
granjura I may just have skipped a few posts ... !

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 18:11:06

Well blow me down with a feather - they did it - TEN points ahead.

Treebee Sun 10-Apr-16 19:43:02

DH howled with delight. Dread to think what the neighbours thought. grin

POGS Sun 10-Apr-16 20:03:43

5 games left and I think I'm correct in saying they need to win 3. [fingers crossed emoticon]

Tigers /Stade Francais game today was brilliant 41. 13.

pompa Sun 10-Apr-16 20:08:48

Our Grandson has a tour of the stadium next Saturday for his birthday. He is getting excited (almost as much as his Dad smile

Cherrytree59 Sun 10-Apr-16 20:16:33

Wow Pompa my DH would love that for his birthday/ retirement will have to look into it.
Thanks Gj and everybody with the Leicestershire tourist info. Plenty of places to explore.
Go Foxes and Tigersgrin

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 20:18:57

You are so welcome. And yes great news about Tigers too smile

annodomini Sun 10-Apr-16 21:04:13

Seven generations of my ancestors are buried in a large family tomb in a village churchyard in Leicestershire, rectors of the parish for seven generations. So the English side of my family was deeply rooted in Leicestershire, but more likely to be fox hunters than fox fans; though who knows what they would have supported had football been big in those days.

durhamjen Sun 10-Apr-16 21:13:34

Granjura, we went to the George in Stamford just after we had become vegetarians.
My husband booked the meal for my birthday.
Usually in those days you had to suggest what you wanted if you mentioned that word. He was told, no it was okay, the chef would do us something special.
We were given a plate of vegetables!
When we said we expected something a bit more special than that, we were told he was the best chef from Barcelona and always did that for vegetarians, so we said we would have a Spanish omelette.
We got the same plate of vegetables back with eggs over the top, vegetables just as they were.
Only went there that once.

granjura Sun 10-Apr-16 21:19:48

LOL when was that? We go everytime we are over- and always have great food- be it lunch or 'cream tea'. One of our daughters also got married there and the food and service was fa-bu-lous - although not vegetarian indeed. It's got a very special atmosphere - you can truly feel the history. Of course it was one of the main overnight inns with the horses- on the A1 north from London- and of course Burley house, home of William Cecil, Chief advisor to Elisabeth the First.
Also later of Chariots of Fire and the running Marquess- still home to the same family and used in so many films, Pride and Prejudice, the Da Vinci Code, and so many more- and the Burley Horse trials too. Quinteseential British.

durhamjen Mon 11-Apr-16 12:17:18

That was late 70s, granjura.
Go to Stamford and Burghley House still when I visit friends near Peterborough.
We used to go to Rutland Water when we lived there, too. It used to be known as Empingham Reservoir.

granjura Mon 11-Apr-16 12:31:21

Ooops wrong spelling of course. Burley house is the very enormous Georgian pile overlooking Rutland Water- that was made into apartments in the 80s.

granjura Sun 24-Apr-16 18:49:48

Well they did it again- and without Vardy- bravo smile

Treebee Sun 24-Apr-16 20:41:23

Oh, goodness, DH was bouncing off the walls! Whatever next?

granjura Sun 24-Apr-16 20:43:35

Hihi, so glad he enjoyed it. We couldn't watch it here, unfortunately, so watched Tigers losing badly instead! doh!

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 12:47:22

With only 3 games to go only Spurs can beat them now. But Spurs have the marginally easier matches left. Foxes need one more win.

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-16 14:00:17

Will you all just stop talking about it, please!! grin

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 16:01:16

It's the tension that makes it fun.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Apr-16 16:51:50

As a Leicester native, you're making me nostalgic, granjura! It's been great to see the Foxes get to the top, but my family are constantly on tenterhooks.

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-16 17:43:39

Not if the family all support Forest! blush

kittylester Tue 26-Apr-16 17:44:52

That was to pompa not Laura! grin

pompa Tue 26-Apr-16 18:12:02

Half my family support Leicester, the other half, West ham, thank goodness they drew.

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 18:20:24

The West Ham Manager was full of praise for Leicester and said he truly hoped they would win. Good on him.

granjura Mon 02-May-16 22:04:50

Wow- they've only gone and done it- incredible. We will be in Leicester soon and look forward to all the excitement smile