Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Perfume doesn't seem to last

(80 Posts)
overthehill Tue 20-May-14 22:54:23

Anyone got any tricks on how to make perfume last. It seems to disappear on me before I have made it out the door.

I always buy parfum as opposed to la toilette as it is stronger but still doesn't seem to last. Are they making it weaker or perhaps my sense of smell isn't as keen as it was. I don't have trouble smelling nasty smells.

What do others think

numberplease Sat 25-Oct-14 00:09:29

My favourite in recent years has been Tocade, by Rochas, but for about 10 years or so it`s been unavailable over here, apart from online, although I did manage to get some in France. That one does last as well, I`ve been able to smell it on my coat a few weeks after wearing the coat, and the perfume was on me, not the coat.

Marelli Fri 24-Oct-14 19:28:53

number, I remember Hartnell's 'In Love' - it was in a small, oblong bottle with a green label and a gold top. I loved it, too. It had a powdery fragrance?
One I also liked was Je Reviens by Worth. I think I'll have a look for that on Ebay....just for old times' sake! smile

hildajenniJ Fri 24-Oct-14 16:29:47

I was very sad to hear of the death of Oscar de la Renta. I used to wear his perfume all the time. I only ever met one other person who knew it by name. She worked with me in a Care Home and came up to me one night saying "what good taste you have Hilda".

I've never found any perfume which I like as much.

numberplease Fri 24-Oct-14 16:23:03

Back in the late 50s and early 60s I loved In Love, by Norman Hartnell, and it was a perfume that lasted even after several hours wearing, they don`t make them like that now.

emmasnan Thu 23-Oct-14 19:47:33

I'd forgotten about Tabu, one of my first perfumes too! I can still remember the smell.
Can anyone remember Somewhere? I think it was by Avon.

specki4eyes Thu 23-Oct-14 07:54:33

Does anyone remember Tabu? It was the first perfume I ever used, back in the 1960's. A tiny bottle of pure sensuality. I know they tried to revive it in a cheap and cheerful way not that long ago but I thought that the later version bore no resemblance to that heady stuff back then. I THINK it had Spanish origins but I'm not sure.

shailluis Mon 20-Oct-14 12:37:34

In the fragrance world, there are some scents described as "skin scents."

Icyalittle Sun 19-Oct-14 09:17:23

Oooh the memories this thread has brought back, thank you. I've realised that I wore different perfumes for about a decade each. (Not exclusively, I was a little bit of a scent tart wink so I did play away too). Ma Griffe 20s, Madame Rochas 30s, Fidji 40s, Caléche 50s and now Iris Poudré by Fréderic Malle. I can remember what each decade brought with it smile

Nonu Sat 18-Oct-14 21:38:50

I love Estee Lauder, as they are mostly oil based which Probably lasts longer on the skin.

Deedaa Sat 18-Oct-14 20:57:31

I did a tour of the Fragonard factory in Grasse a few years ago. I bought one of their pure perfumes. It was quite expensive and came in a little metal container. You only needed a tiny drop and it lasted and lasted. M&S are selling Fragonard colognes now, they smell lovely but don't last as well as the perfumes.

specki4eyes Sat 18-Oct-14 18:08:40

My all time favourite has to be Femme by Rochas - I'm having a holiday from it at the moment and have been using on alternate days; YSL Paris; Mitsouko; Shalimar and Chanel No 5 body lotion. Love them all - perfume is my one indulgence. I went on a tour of the Molinard factory in Grasse, France a couple of years ago and was in heaven!

I think the trick is to alternate your perfumes but never to add more!

Anya Sat 18-Oct-14 14:29:13

Love JO Malone but that doesn't last either.

kittylester Sat 18-Oct-14 13:54:48

I use Clinique Aromatics and am always complemented on it - which scares me as I then wonder if it is too noticeable! confused

baubles Sat 18-Oct-14 13:20:19

My MIL always wears Clinique Aromatiques, I can't abide the smell of itsad

I've worn different perfumes through the years, Ma Griffe was my first, given to me by the woman whose children I babysat. I loved it but experimented with many different scents after that. I then wore Obsession for about ten years, it was very much my signature scent. I could never understand how other women varied their perfumes, every item of clothes I wore had a faint smell of Obsession. I can't wear it now, I stopped at a turning point in my life and I associate the perfume with that time.

For the past couple of years I've worn Jo Malone Red Roses, it suits me but I'm not fond of any of the others.

henetha Sat 18-Oct-14 11:12:13

I love perfume, and think it has got weaker over the years. The only one I can still afford which does last quite well is M&S Florentyna.

Soutra Sat 18-Oct-14 11:04:06

"ambience"??
Agree with the sentiment though.

shailluis Sat 18-Oct-14 10:27:54

I love perfume. I think it’s so cool to have a scent that adds to the ambiance of who you are, and one that people remember you by. Scent is the most powerful memory trigger.

harrigran Thu 29-May-14 17:11:44

I don't think we really notice our own perfume after a while. Today I met DD for lunch and when she walked into the restaurant she said " you are wearing the perfume I bought you " a very expensive perfume and quite unusual but full marks to her nose because I could barely smell it by then.

annodomini Thu 29-May-14 10:07:36

My sister used to use Opium (the perfume) and tried very hard to persuade me to try it but I just knew it wouldn't suit me and the one time I did try it I was proved right. To be honest, I don't think it really suited her either, but I was tactful and didn't say so.

overthehill Thu 29-May-14 09:49:21

Years ago I worked the checkout in Sainsbury's and I kept smelling this awful smell. I reckoned it must be perfume but didn't know which one.

The next time if wafted round I asked the lady in question what it was, "Oh it is Poison" she said, "lots of people compliment me on it". I didn't disillusion her, but to me it smelt of damp cardboard.

annodomini Thu 29-May-14 09:40:26

I used to like Revlon's Aquamarine which disappeared shortly after I discovered it - just my luck!

Marmight Thu 29-May-14 09:01:44

Strange how what smells lovely on one person smells like something the cat brought in on another! My neighbour was wearing Clinique Aromatiques which I thought was lovely, so when next at the airport I tried it - absolutely disgusting on me and couldn't believe it was the same perfume. On the way home, I sidled up to the Clinique counter again and tried one called Summer Fragrance - it's absolutely me! I saw the neighbour yesterday and she commented on my perfume 'Lovely' she said, 'but I couldn't wear that!'

storynanny Wed 28-May-14 23:48:39

Oznan what a good idea im going to try the vaseline trick tomorrow

NfkDumpling Tue 27-May-14 12:39:56

Now I have problems with Chanel 5 - within five minutes it smells like carbolic soap on me!

newfield Tue 27-May-14 10:10:22

sometimes you are so used to the smell you don't notice it much but other people do