Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Perfume doesn't seem to last

(79 Posts)
overthehill Tue 20-May-14 22:54:23

Anyone got any tricks on how to make perfume last. It seems to disappear on me before I have made it out the door.

I always buy parfum as opposed to la toilette as it is stronger but still doesn't seem to last. Are they making it weaker or perhaps my sense of smell isn't as keen as it was. I don't have trouble smelling nasty smells.

What do others think

Ana Tue 20-May-14 22:59:57

You can't smell your own perfume after a while - don't overdo it because other people certainly can! grin

annodomini Tue 20-May-14 23:21:35

Spray a little on your bra. It seems to last longer there than on my skin.

kittylester Wed 21-May-14 08:06:10

My perfume doesn't seem to last either - presumably an age thing?

I use parfum rather than anything else and spray onto my clothes as recommended by the Clinique woman. I am often complimented on how nice I smell blush even though I can't smell it myself. As I am complimented, I presume that it's not overpowering. In fact, there are plenty of people who would let me know if it was!!

Gagagran Wed 21-May-14 08:17:04

A tip I was once given kitty was to spray your perfume on your hair. I do that and am also often told I smell nice! In fact when DH and I were out for lunch on Sunday, our lovely young waitress said "Ooh is that Jo Malone you're wearing - I love it!". It was too. smile

glammanana Wed 21-May-14 08:18:35

I've always used bath & body cream in the same perfume and always go for unscented deodorant the layering effect seems to keep the smell active for much longer.

Soutra Wed 21-May-14 08:58:30

I agree on "layering" but also wonder if the style today is for lighter scents rather than the more powerful perfumes of the past. A dab of Chanel no 5 or Mitsouko behind each ear might have been enough in our mothers' day if it was stronger but do you remember the perfumes of the 80's? "Poison" and "YouthDew" could knock you dead at 50 paces!! It is true you stop smelling your own perfume as you get used to it so beware of the sledgehammer effect!

suebailey1 Wed 21-May-14 09:05:51

Yes absolutely there is a scientific reasons (which I cant remember) why we grow tolerant to perfume and other smells- so beware others can smell it if you can't nd incidentally this is how people can be overcome by noxious fumes because you cant smell them if you have become tolerant. However I was told that the established perfume houses use more pure essences in their perfumes than the newer designer smellies so they last longer. I stick to Chanel although my daughter bought me some Miss Dior for Xmas and I am receiving lots of compliments when I wear that one.

janerowena Wed 21-May-14 09:57:53

My mother told me to pour a few drops onto a small ball of cotton wool and poke it into my cleavage. It works very well. Apologies to any without cleavages. Occasionally with skimpier bras, it does fall out!

Elegran Wed 21-May-14 10:11:18

We used to be told that putting perfume on clothes rots the fibres.

dorsetpennt Wed 21-May-14 12:44:42

Obviously more expensive perfume lasts longer. I was wearing my Miss Dior the other day, met a friend who remarked how nice it was - she then proffered her arm for me to smell her Lidl perfume. 'Only £5 ' she says 'You don't need to spend a lot on perfume.' At the end of the day I asked if she could still smell mine. which she could , but neither of us could detect hers. Perfume should hint of a pleasant smell not be overpowering as some cheaper brands can be.

annsixty Wed 21-May-14 12:49:39

Oh how I loved Mitsouko when I could afford to buy it but was bought a bottle of Youth Dew once and have to say I liked it.

Mishap Wed 21-May-14 13:27:52

I hate perfume! - there is a dreadful after smell on clothes. I never touch the stuff!

Elegran Wed 21-May-14 13:40:44

I was given a bottle of Youth Dew by my aunt. She had been going to give it to my cousin (20 years younger than me), whose response was "I don't think I'm old enough yet for that, Mum". Maybe I'm not old enough either, but I like it.

rosesarered Wed 21-May-14 13:44:19

The expensive ones do last [perfume scent] but any eau de parfum only costing £10 or so seems to vanish minutes after applying it.

rosesarered Wed 21-May-14 13:45:50

Never found anything I like better than Chanel No 5.

glammanana Wed 21-May-14 13:46:12

suebailey1 How I agree with you regarding Miss Dior it is very pleasant indeed,I too have been a Chanel user for many years and mainly used No5 but more recently I have been using Chanel Chances which is delightful.

J52 Wed 21-May-14 14:13:32

Suebailey 1 and Glammanan, like you both I really like Miss Dior and Chanel 5. Chanel has stayed the same over the years, but Miss Dior has changed since the 70s version. Love perfume, I have some Carven Ma Girffe which seems to be re introduced to the market. Reminds me of my mother who always wore it. X

HollyDaze Wed 21-May-14 21:42:21

I can't say I've noticed it stops smelling. For daytime, I like to wear Crabtree & Evelyn's Summer Hill; it's only eau de toilette but it does last most of the day.

Evenings I like Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist and that lasts until you wash it off.

overthehill Wed 21-May-14 22:46:33

I do like Coco by Chanel but still cant smell it after a while

storynanny Thu 22-May-14 22:23:49

I've used Calvin Klein Obsession every single day for years and years and still love it especially when I pick up a scarf I haven't worn for a while and it still has the smell on it.
I was always told to spray wrists a behind ears then spray into the air and walk through it. I was a Boots Saturday girl in the 70's and learned lots of tricks!

overthehill Thu 22-May-14 22:47:58

Storynanny

Yes, I used to use this but haven't for some years and that is a perfume with kick. That certainly did last, maybe I should buy it again.

janeainsworth Thu 22-May-14 23:12:34

Dorsetpennt I wear Miss Dior too and I find the Eau de Toilette lasts all day.

storynanny Thu 22-May-14 23:33:10

You can often buy the large 100 ml bottles for £25 in super drug or the perfume shop instead of £60. I usually stock up when it is on offer, one large bottle lasts me about 4 or 5 months and that is using a few squirts every day!

BeeWitch Fri 23-May-14 16:27:35

I love Alien, you don't need much of that, and it lasts all day. On me at least. I always bear in mind that perfume should tap you on the shoulder, not punch your lights out! grin