Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

clothes

(90 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 15-Sep-14 10:25:17

I was reading the discussion about tidying up clothes and wardrobes and I replied that I had only a few things to wear, black trousers for work, jeans and t shirts and jumpers for the winter and I realised that you all seem to have so many more clothes than me. I thought I was the same as everyone else, just going to the wardrobe and grabbing something to wear. I always just had one pair of shoes and maybe boots for the winter.
I watched sex and the city and of course they have lots of lovely clothes but they are rich and its fiction.
My DD is the same as me if she needs to go out she goes to asda and buys something which she can wear for work.

My question is: Do some people actually have clothes to 'go out in' which they never wear unless a special occasion, also as we've just emerged from recession can anyone afford to buy clothes to be worn occasionally?
Is it just me, I thought only the really rich could have more than one or two pairs of shoes?

janerowena Fri 19-Sep-14 20:27:14

In the end, you have to wear what you feel happy and comfortable in. As long as you don't wonder what you are missing, that's fine. I buy the odd thing from second hand shops or ebay just to experiment, if it doesn't work for me I pass them on. If you have no interest in clothes, and that works for you, that's brilliant! It must save you a fortune!

etheltbags1 Fri 19-Sep-14 20:20:39

Soo confusing think I will just stick with a different t shirt every day regardless of where im going. I must admit I feel a bit foolish if I ever try to dress up I hate it if anyone makes a comment even a complement. I think what liars or just laugh it off. Wish I was a man they get wear much less complicated stuff.

NanSue Fri 19-Sep-14 20:18:30

I love clothes, although not so much since the arrival of middle aged spread. Can anyone recommend a really good stockist (not hugely expensive) for a very short, slightly rounded figure please?

suzied Fri 19-Sep-14 19:16:42

I agree smart casual is what you would wear for lunch at a wine bar, cafe or visiting a gallery with friends I.e. Not what you would wear to paint the bedroom or do the garden in. A nice summer dress and jacket or cardie, white shirt and coloured jeans or pleated trousers. Smart bag. Scarf. Smart is suit, silk dress, jacket, posh shoes, bag etc etc.

FlicketyB Fri 19-Sep-14 11:38:10

When I was at work I used to describe all the smart suits, dresses and accessories I wore, specifically for work as my 'School uniform'. Coming home in the evening I took my school uniform off and got into clothes chosen for comfort rather than style, worn jeans, old sweaters, sometimes, my dressing gown. Casual, but not smart

At weekends and all week now I wore/wear the kind of clothes that were too casual for work, jeans, trousers, sweaters, casual skirts, however, all would have been carefully chosen and co-ordinated to be comfortable but smart but chosen with the same care I used to use for my 'school uniform'. That to me is smart casual.

janerowena Fri 19-Sep-14 11:28:29

Smart casual is tricky. I would say - wearing your best newest casual clothes before they get scruffy and tired. For men, it means that at least one half of them upper or lower, has to be nicely and smartly dressed. So, either a nice shirt with new jeans and a jacket, or chinos with perhaps a new polo shirt, maybe a smart jumper. Tie not necessary. For women, it means a nice top, maybe new jeans or a pretty skirt, some jewellery and nice shoes, hair looking good - as if you have made an effort, basically. Not something you would go to the supermarket in, not something you would go to a posh party in. Somewhere in between.

Ana Thu 18-Sep-14 21:52:54

grin

etheltbags1 Thu 18-Sep-14 21:43:41

No will just polish my work boots until the new year sales. lol. I like great big boots with skirts, not fashionable but comfortable.

Ana Thu 18-Sep-14 21:37:04

You might need another pair of shoes to go with all that lovely vintage stuff, ethel! smile

etheltbags1 Thu 18-Sep-14 21:25:50

Ive had a bit of a poke in my spare wardrobe where I keep DD stuff that she never took when she left home, I found a lovely vintage velvet jacket that Id never worn, bought years ago, a maxi dress and a long wool winter coat with a huge fur collar, several velvet skirts, several jackets. I guess that I shall have to check the moths have left them alone and maybe I will get dressed up one day.
By the way what is smart casual, those words are a contradiction. You cant be smart and casual.

janerowena Thu 18-Sep-14 14:21:25

rubysong, that's been me, too - and as I am now although it is so hot today that I am wearing skinny linen capri pants.

kittylester Thu 18-Sep-14 07:07:17

Deedaa, I like the sound of your jacket - I've been looking for something like that for ages! And for just those types of occasions! envy

Deedaa Wed 17-Sep-14 23:37:40

I do like dressing up to go out, but I don't get many chances to do it now. My current "Best" outfits are a very nice rather pucciesque dress which hasn't had an outing at all this summer and a black and grey animal print jacket which has been to a Christmas dinner with black trousers and a funeral with a rather dressy black skirt.

I like to think my normal look is smart casual, but I fear it may just be casual hmm The majority of my clothes are M&S because I get staff discount, although it gets more and more difficult to find anything wearable there! I seem to have quite a lot of shoes but I've had some of them over 10 years and some of my clothes go back nearly 20 years (Vintage darling!)

rubysong Wed 17-Sep-14 22:41:24

The last couple of days I have been wearing leggings under a floaty dress, sandals and a shrug. They have taken me to the beach, to an outdoor theatre performance, a choir practice and WI, and I have felt very comfortable, neither too hot nor too cold.

baubles Wed 17-Sep-14 21:18:08

Flickety, hadn't thought of that grin

FlicketyB Wed 17-Sep-14 20:44:57

May be she was 50 but smoked

Galen Wed 17-Sep-14 20:43:48

Can't wear hold ups as my left thigh is considerably thinner than my right.
It was when I tried to wear them and the left kept falling down, I realised I had gross muscle wasting of the left leg due to my limp

baubles Wed 17-Sep-14 20:34:00

I was quite taken today by the sight of a woman, who was seventy if she was a day, dressed in a tshirt and shorts (of the hotpant variety), with bare legs, knee socks and clumpy boots. She was on the arm of a very dapper chap dressed in chinos and blazer.

She had a great pair of legs.

Starling Wed 17-Sep-14 20:21:55

ethelbags1 I have more clothes but a similar attitude to shoes - I basically wear one pair and replace it with the same style, but keep the old ones for the garden, or as spares, with the result that I have several pairs of the same style and forget which are the oldest ones! Yes and I tend to just have one handbag on the go at any one time. When the strap breaks I buy another one, very similar if possible! But I have a lot more variety of clothes. Although.... all my work outfits were mainly black trousers and a different top!

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Sep-14 20:07:53

Ana - nothing insensitive.

Do all of us avoid dresses.
I have loads of tights, hold ups, and the dreaded pop socks that will never see light of day.

I admit that on occasion I sometimes wore pop socks with ankle length skirts --- which could be difficult on a breezy day.

Purpledaffodil Wed 17-Sep-14 19:02:28

Mary Quant had a lot to answer for absentgrandma I agree. Being tall I swapped suspenders appearing below my skirt for the gusset of my tights appearing instead. The only answer was to wear the largest available size and risk them them bagging everywhere. And the irony was I have never liked my sturdy legs and was only happy when the maxi skirt appeared. grin

Ana Wed 17-Sep-14 18:26:44

Yes, easily. If it's hot I wear very thin trousers or harem pants - I really don't miss skirts at all! I suppose I could wear a long, floaty one on occasion...

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 17-Sep-14 18:23:53

Ana Your previous post was not insensitive. Don't be silly.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 17-Sep-14 18:23:13

What? You get through the summer without wearing a skirt at all?! Anyone can go bare legged in the summer. A bit of a tan disguises a lot of things.

kittylester Wed 17-Sep-14 17:49:41

I was so relieved to wear tights - I thought suspenders were definitely a male invention!