Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Granny panties

(66 Posts)
yogagran Fri 05-Jun-15 21:50:47

I was trying to find something witty to say but decided just to post this link instead:

www.rantchic.com/2015/05/29/move-over-thongs-granny-panties-have-a-made-a-much-appreciated-comeback/?utm_campaign=RantLifestyleFB&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

loopylou Sat 06-Jun-15 09:19:02

I loved Petticoat magazine- and the dresses were worn with long white socks weren't they?

henetha Sat 06-Jun-15 09:42:36

My grandmother (who raised me) wore those big bloomers, Anya.
I can remember ironing them for her. She also wore "stays"; horrible corset things with whalebone supports. Thank goodness for M&S cotton knickers.

annodomini Sat 06-Jun-15 09:54:59

My grannies both wore those long knickers and when the longer distance one came to stay, my mum hated having them on the washing line in case the neighbours thought they were hers.

hildajenniJ Sat 06-Jun-15 10:00:33

My favourites at the moment are the shorts type. I bought them from Asda and they are very comfortable. I usually wear M&S minis, but when I need some new ones I think I will return to Add a and get more shorts.

Teetime Sat 06-Jun-15 10:11:48

I too regularly witness the thong-clad HUGE derriere in cheap see through leggings around these parts. It seems some people have no rear view mirror- i.e. always check your back view before leaving the house. as I've said before knickers (not panties dreadful word from a cheap novel) should match bra!

rosesarered Sat 06-Jun-15 10:17:57

I came across a photo of myself the other day, had been married for a couple of years and we were on a camping trip abroad, I had short denim shorts( who wears short shorts?) and my shoulder length hair in bunches and looked about 12.No wonder the Italian campsite owner kept leering at me.
On the subject of knickers ( agree Soutra, panties are an awful word)I have always bought M&S, but we had a thread about this a while back and Ana mentioned the Sloggis so I bought some, and must say they are comfy and yet you feel 'kept in' by them at the same time, so I am a convert.
have never worn thongs, just the idea of them makes me squirm.

loopylou Sat 06-Jun-15 10:18:04

I think some people don't even own a mirror full stop Teetime! hmm

Atqui Sat 06-Jun-15 11:02:32

While on the subject of 'tummy warmers' as my girls used to call them, I wish M an S would sell single pairs (?) of their more ordinary ones. I wanted to try a different style but had to buy a multipack , only to find they gave me KUB .

Atqui Sat 06-Jun-15 11:03:02

Sorry KUB ... Knickers up bum

JackyB Sat 06-Jun-15 11:47:54

When I think back to school days when we wore nylon knickers, sometimes for a couple of days on the trot, .... Oh boy, makes me shudder. If they had at least been cotton! Nowadays I wouldn't wear any kind other than cotton, and will change them during the day if they get sweaty. I do have a couple of microfibre ones, but only for travelling, and only the very soft microfibre. Not the shiny kind - If I touch any of that kind in the shop, they feel so awful, I have to wipe my hands.

Where were we? Oh yes, those knickers in the link yogagran posted - what's so granny about them? Or have I become so distanced from the world of the 16-year-old that I hadn't realised that that's what they think?

In the 60s I was a Saturday girl in the lingerie department. Thongs hadn't been invented then, but we had all sorts of interesting things such as French knickers, various lacy (but not racy) creations, and even those directoire knickers in that germolene colour. As far as I remember, no one EVER bought any directoire knickers, which were hidden away in a drawer. So even then, perhaps grannies were hipper than expected.

AshTree Sat 06-Jun-15 12:46:04

Oh yes, J52 I did wear my hair in bunches - high up on the side of my head, tied with ribbons to match the outfit. And yes, long white socks with black patent ribbon tie shoes (tap shoe style). OMG, when I think of how I must have looked shock
Petticoat magazine - yes I used to love that one too smile

We need a nostalgia emoticon, but I can't for the life of me think what image would work - perhaps a pair of rose coloured specs? Not quite right, though...

Daisyanswerdo Sat 06-Jun-15 13:04:09

At school we had to wear TWO pairs of knickers: first a white pair called 'linings' and then a navy-blue pair. Does anyone else remember this?

Galen Sat 06-Jun-15 13:58:30

Same here except the outer pair was grey. As was most of the uniform including grey lisle stockings. ( school had Been a Franciscan friary prior to Henery V111. Known as the grey friars) bet the Friars didn't wear two pairs of knickers!

loopylou Sat 06-Jun-15 14:29:26

Clearly Grayson Perry was reading Petticoat too AshTree
That so reminds me of him!

annodomini Sat 06-Jun-15 14:59:26

So glad I attended a more 'liberal' institution, at least as far as uniform was concerned! We did have to wear navy knickers for PE but somehow the timetable couldn't fit that in for the senior classes, laden as we were with academic subjects where knickers didn't matter. grin

Galen Sat 06-Jun-15 15:45:06

Do you mean you went knicker less?shock

Soutra Sat 06-Jun-15 15:51:44

That was how I read it too!! Puts St. Trinian's in the shade! shockblush

loopylou Sat 06-Jun-15 16:03:41

That's how I read it too! shock
A trifle chilly I'd have thought.......

Charleygirl Sat 06-Jun-15 18:49:37

I also wore knicker liners at school and the outer pair like Galen's were grey. Our uniform was a dusky blue colour.

Sainsburys sell cheap but comfortable knickers which I bought recently. At the time I did not like M&S colours and I definitely do not like white knickers.

I only knew one grandmother and she also wore the voluminous pink knickers. My mother wore pretty lacy ones. I must have 50 pairs +.

Deedaa Sat 06-Jun-15 21:30:37

My mother in law always talked about her panties. The word did not describe the vast white creations that she wore. When I had to do her shopping I went into Marks and asked if they had any Old Lady's Knickers. The assistant looked very offended and said "Do you mean like mine?" (Yes I did actually)

Mine are lacy and match my bras. No one sees them, but I like them! I wish girls who wear thongs would realise that unless you are a size 8 or smaller a thong will just outline your buttocks and make them look vast! I heard a teenager explaining that she had to wear one under very sheer clothes because anything else would show through. I started to wonder what I used to wear under some of my flimsier garments in pre thong days and then remembered that I just took my knickers off grin

Treebee Sat 06-Jun-15 22:07:22

Like Lona I've discovered M&Ss high leg pants with lacy derrières which are comfy, pretty and in a range of colours. The one thing that Marks still gets right, along with their prawn sandwiches!

Ana Sat 06-Jun-15 22:15:19

Deeda, that wasn't really a very tactful request, was it? confused

I have never gone knickerless in my life although prudish I am certainly not. The things I got up to in my youth...wink

janerowena Sat 06-Jun-15 23:16:54

I wear coloured cotton ones just like those in the photo, but mine have wide bands of lace that don't leave VPL.

If those are granny knickers, I have been wearing them all my life.

I don't find frilly nylon and net and satin things with bows sexy, just uncomfortable and in my experience, men have usually found me sexy no matter what my underwear has been like! I rather think that the sort of man who would want me to dress in sexy underwear (which rarely sounds comfortable as far as I have heard from friends) wouldn't be the kind I found sexy anyway. Why do women feel they need it? Pretty yes, I can understand that. But how many women force their OHs to wear thongs rather than boxers?

Anne58 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:20:46

Only me that thinks "Sloggi! sounds more something that you might find in your knickers, rather than actual make? blush

(Could have sworn that I posted that earlier, but apparently not. I plead the fifth, so there.)

Ana Sat 06-Jun-15 23:25:12

You did say it on another thread, phoenix, but no one seemed to understand what you meant - I certainly didn't...confused