Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hairdressers!!

(39 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Sun 13-Sep-15 10:19:43

How do you find one that you like. I'm fed up with one who leave my hair uneven or try to impose the latest style on me or who see my thick wavy hair and want thin it out til there's hardly anything left.
I've been to about six places in the past year and haven't found anyone I like. They've ranged from city centre to little back street salons. So tell me how you fiound your hair salon.

Luckygirl Sun 13-Sep-15 10:21:40

This is why I let my hair grow - and grow!

Charleygirl Sun 13-Sep-15 10:29:02

One of the best I have ever been to was a school of hairdressing in central London. It was owned by a well known hairdresser so the staff were excellent. Under normal circumstances I could never have afforded to have my hair cut there but the school was different and I found that a hairdresser normally "finished it off".This was a few years ago and it was difficult to get an appointment.

The hairdresser I go to now tries but does not quite succeed- I have run out of affordable salons.

Greyduster Sun 13-Sep-15 10:30:30

I have had the same hairdresser for thirty four years. She used to cut my sister's hair and started cutting mine. She has a 'feel' for my hair and I have never had a bad cut. However, at the moment I am faced with having to find another hairdresser by next week as my hairdresser's mum, who lives on the Wirral, died a couple of weeks ago and she is over there coping with that, bless her! She is a one man band and I don't know when she is going to be able to open her salon again. We have visitors next weekend and my hair is now at the unmanageable stage so I must put myself in the hands of a stranger. If I can't find one locally, I may go to the one that DD uses, although they seem to be very expensive.

sunseeker Sun 13-Sep-15 10:34:16

I have found that once you have been going to a salon for a number of years the stylist gets "sloppy". I had an excellent hairdresser, always did my hair very well then the last couple of times I wasn't very happy. I did raise it with him but his attitude left something to be desired so I have now found another. I prefer local salons rather than city centre ones.

Aglassofroseplease Sun 13-Sep-15 11:46:04

Thanks. I agree about hairdressers getting sloppy after a while. I thought I'd found "the one" at last and I went back to him last month as I wanted it to look good for my nephews wedding and I came out with what looked quite nice (although a bit like Chrissie Hind 30 years ago) as soon as I washed I could see he'd layered and thinned it too much so in desperation I got my oh to cut off and inch from the bottom - I say in desperation as I couldn't get back to this salon as I'm almost full time visiting my sick mum in hospital.

Hence my search for a good hairdresser starting again ......

Pittcity Sun 13-Sep-15 12:27:26

I have had my best hair experiences in the cheap drop in and wait for whoever's free next type places. There are several in our town and they are always busy. Half the price of my previous hairdresser too.

trisher Sun 13-Sep-15 12:53:15

Mine keep moving away. I find one i like and next time i need an appointment they have gone. I think the cheap drop ins and most hairdressers are just the same. Occasionally I find one who is really good at cutting and then I will pay more, but they are few and far between.

glammanana Sun 13-Sep-15 13:06:07

I have to agree with Charleygirl and say the best cut I have had over the past few years has been at a Hairdressing College they take longer with the process but they are so good and watched every step of the way by experienced staff,I only ever have 1-2inches off my length and my fringe trimmed but I have watched others having restyles & perms tec and they are excellent,prices range from about £8-16 depending what is done to your hair,very reasonable indeed,I once asked locally how much it was for a wash & trim and was quoted £36.00 or £18.00 on pensioners discount day but there is no way I would pay that amount even with discount for 1-2inches trimmed off.

rosesarered Sun 13-Sep-15 14:28:24

I have to agree with others about a favourite stylist getting sloppy. I haven't been too happy the last couple of times I had colour put in, the colour itself fine but the way the highlights were done wasn't done with enough care.

Katek Sun 13-Sep-15 14:31:24

My friend trained as a hairdresser 25 years ago after being widowed and I wouldn't use anybody else. She's s fab colourist as well as stylist so I get everything in one! She's given up salon work and now only takes a few clients at home.

Aglassofroseplease Sun 13-Sep-15 21:30:27

Lots of wise comments here. It seems like from what you're all saying is that if they have the knack then it doesn't matter whether it's city centre or local as long as they do a good job. I'd not thought about going to a hairdressing college even though I used to go to Vidal sassoons training school in my dim and distant youth a get good cuts

Nvella Mon 14-Sep-15 07:48:42

I have been going to Vidal Sassoon's training school for about 19 years for cuts and highlights and have never had a disaster. It can be difficult to get an appointment and it does take a long time because of the supervision but I think their cutting can't be beaten and it's really fascinating watching them being taught as the Vidal method is so precise. They have a lot of young international students too which is interesting.

Aglassofroseplease Mon 14-Sep-15 10:26:24

Nvella you've got thinking now, maybe that's what I'll do - go to Vidal sassoons training school. Are they only in London? Which do you recommend. Is the an age limit or any restrictions?

kittylester Mon 14-Sep-15 11:09:29

I love mine!! She is about 20 years younger than me and is almost another daughter. She keeps my hair looking good - she wouldn't let me go all 'mumsy' as she calls it but nor would she let me do anything silly. I trust her completely and she's coming for supper tonight!

Annie29 Mon 14-Sep-15 17:25:34

I had a brilliant one before I moved. I am finding it hard to find one since the move,how do you know what they are like until you try them.

rosequartz Mon 14-Sep-15 17:35:59

There is a Vidal Sassoon training school in Cardiff; I've never been (perhaps I should go) but a friend used to go and her hair always looked lovely. Even though she can't get there any more, her hair still looks nice as a local hairdresser seems to have followed the style.

Aglassofroseplease Mon 14-Sep-15 17:40:01

Good ideas. Does anyone know if there a v Sassoon training school in Nottingham or derby or the Midlands or any good salons?

suzied Mon 14-Sep-15 17:45:43

I found mine by asking someone whose hair always looked great where she had hers done, turned out it was the owner of a salon I used to go to in the past but gave up after a bad experience, then it was taken over by this chap. He is an very interesting guy, so the hairdresser chat is a bit more than where did you go on your holidays, he will chat about books, films, politics whatever. He is good at colouring as well and I am growing out my grey with the aid of ash highlights and lowlights. It does cost a lot, but worth every penny in my book.

kittylester Mon 14-Sep-15 17:47:50

Mine is in the Midlands! Leicestershire, if that helps?

Aglassofroseplease Mon 14-Sep-15 19:48:51

It could be, kitty. Whereabouts in Leics?

Nvella Tue 15-Sep-15 00:46:46

Looks like the Vidal Sassoon academies are only in London I am afraid but there are no restrictions

EmilyHarburn Tue 15-Sep-15 11:51:00

I agree with contributors to this thread who find that hairdressers get it right for a bit and then seem to go off. This has been my experience so I opted for a mobile hairdresser to come to my home for £10 every six weeks. And then to pay once a year for a salon with some highlights for Christmas.

In between cuts I roll my short hair in velcro curlers with a spray to fix it, and sit under my Pifco floor standing hair dryer,which I have had for nearly 60 years, for 10 - 15 mins. Dear husband has mended it once.

Now my hairdresser has enough clients coming to her salon so she has given me my last home cut. I may go to her at her salon to start with.

Grammar Sat 19-Sep-15 17:44:50

I found mine by asking my boss where she'd had her hair cut after seeing her best hairdo ever. I've been going there for many years now and am always delighted with the results.

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-15 13:01:46

Well, here we are ne week on from my last post and I still haven't been able to pluck up courage to go to a different hairdress