Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dressing fearlessly: throwing out the style rule book

(167 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Nov-15 10:06:54

Do you care what others think of your dress sense? Are there things you'd like to wear, but don't because of society's 'style rules' for older women?

As we hear from over 40s fashion blogger Catherine Summers on why we shouldn't worry so much about what others think, we'd love to hear from gransnetters too. Do you agree? Or do you tend to think "stuff it" and wear what you want anyway?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 10:16:52

I bought a pair of fashionable trousers the other day. The close fitting legs showed up my thickened (that's not fat!) knees. Back they went.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 10:18:16

Sadly, shape determines what you can wear when you are old (ish).

janeainsworth Wed 25-Nov-15 10:36:25

I have my own rules.
If you have your own style, there are certain things that you wouldn't wear. You don't have to follow other people's rules.

soontobe Wed 25-Nov-15 10:52:32

I would like to think that I dont care what people think.
But the reality is, when I have slunk to the supermarket in a not very thought out outfit, you can think people are looking, even when they are not.

Plus, do we really want to look as if we are sloppy, or not able to look after ourselves?

Because the reality is, often those who dress themselves sloppily, often dont care about themselves at that given time.
It can be a sign of bigger problems.

M0nica Wed 25-Nov-15 10:53:09

Shape should define what you wear regardless of age. I wear the clothes I enjoy wearing and suit my shape, which means anything that shows off my legs and nothing that belts round the waist, not a question of weight gain, but I do not have, and never have had, a waist.

soontobe Wed 25-Nov-15 10:55:09

I think I may have missed the point blush

janeainsworth Wed 25-Nov-15 10:55:53

www.rantchic.com/2014/10/24/20-things-women-should-stop-wearing-after-age-30/
I think this is the article referred to .....I think it's spot on. The only thing on it that I do possess and wear sometimes is a pair of grey Converse sneakers (as worn by Michelle Obama).
I've never worn any of the other things at any age.

gillybob Wed 25-Nov-15 11:08:49

Looking at that list I would say it is quite acurate although like janeainsworth I do like my sneakers. I also have a fake fur coat that comes out in the winter is that allowed?

Ana Wed 25-Nov-15 11:13:12

Whether it's allowed or not, mine will be coming out if it gets any colder! grin

(Actually, I've got more than one...blush)

TriciaF Wed 25-Nov-15 11:57:16

Fortunately (or unfortunately) most people around us, of my age, don't dress up. Around the house it's old jupmers skirts or trousers, with a patterned cotton overall.
Even going shopping, they turn up in outofdate trousers and a thick fleece. Some turn up in their slippers.For best, the decent clothes they bought before retiring, ie 20ish years old.
If you shop after 5pm they're smarter, mostly mothers of families coming home from work.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 12:29:17

shock Marks and Sparks latest here, if you don't mind. Well, latest a couple of years ago.

loopylou Wed 25-Nov-15 12:35:29

Phew! Not made any major faux pas then in nearly 62 years!
My trouble is 'keeping things for best ' when ' best' rarely happens or for gardening/decorating as well as work clothes.
So do I really need to smarten up at home (chuck out fleeces, sweatshirts and baggy comfortable trousers) and start wearing out my other clothes?
What do other GNs wear around the house?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 13:11:44

Yep! Same here! I have just starting forcing myself to wear some of my - practically worn - 'best' round the house. Trouble is, it's not always such practical clothing.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Nov-15 13:12:19

Unworn not worn. hmm

whitewave Wed 25-Nov-15 13:28:25

Yes I am doing the same - keep the old stuff for gardening and dirty work posher stuff for the rest. I still have stuff for going out though.

mollie Wed 25-Nov-15 13:28:32

As someone who doesn't like to stand out in the crowd and isn't really interested in style, fashion etc I think I'm doing OK if I can find clothes that are practical, understated, match and are comfortable. My idea of breaking the fashion rules is wearing a pair of colourful sox and/or a scarf! I'm a rebel, me! smile

whitewave Wed 25-Nov-15 13:29:14

Should been a comma after work!

Granarchist Wed 25-Nov-15 13:35:58

Any suggestions then for me as mother of the bride next April. Short and fat and over 60. Hats suit me. I dont want to have 'mother of the bride' tattooed on my forehead but dont want to let daughter down either. I want to be able to be comfortable and able to rock with the best of them - I would love people to think I look great - even a little wacky but not embarrass the bride (mother of groom is tall and pencil thin - grr)

nonnasusie Wed 25-Nov-15 13:39:43

I'm guilty of wearing "American Eagle" jeans, in fact I'm wearing them now!! They are plain denim and are not low cut. They actually fit and as I'm only 5ft it's nice to have some that didn't have to be altered!! Why are they not suitable for older women?

kittylester Wed 25-Nov-15 14:08:10

I've got a really nice leopard print cardigan - well I think it's nice. And, I love pink - no hope for me then! But, I suppose I always knew that! grin

gillybob Wed 25-Nov-15 14:33:36

I have the "keeping things for best" problem too. I very rarely go out so I have this set of clothing that never sees the light of day (or night) .

Which makes me think I might put a frock and high heels on tonight for when DH gets in from work. It seems a shame not to.

kittylester Wed 25-Nov-15 14:45:55

Ooooo!! Gillybob, it might give him ideas! grin

rubysong Wed 25-Nov-15 15:28:11

I went to a colour consultant years ago who told me to wear pink. I never had anything pink before that but she was right. I do think it lifts my mood so I shall wear it regardless of age.

TriciaF Wed 25-Nov-15 15:50:23

I have a lot of pink tops too, I like pink.
To add to my previous post, the "senior" men here also dress mostly in old clothes. Even the younger ones. Husband used to be very fashion conscious, but he's going the same way now.
Occasionally we go to Toulouse to shop, and it's a revelation to see the youngish business men looking handsome and attractive in their fashionable clothes. I had almost forgotten such men existed!