Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hiding a wrinkly neck?

(53 Posts)
fumanchu Mon 23-May-16 11:59:11

How do you all do it? I can't seem to get the scarf thing to work, I either turn beetroot and pour with sweat cos the damn scarf is so big and makes me hot, or I wear a tiny skinny little scarf that doesn't hide the wrinkly neck and just looks silly!

peaceatlast Tue 24-May-16 10:53:01

My neck isn't an issue but my wrinkly ankles get me down. Swollen and misshapen. At a recent wedding I felt good in a longish dress till I saw (and subsequently edited) the photos as I looked like Nora Batty. I can't hide my feet easily but I guess it's trousers from now on to hide my ankles. I think necks might be easier to cover up as scarves etc can be so enhancing.

annsixty Tue 24-May-16 10:56:26

Did anyone else see photos of Helen Mirren at some award ceremony a couple of days ago? It wasn't "face on" it was a sideways shot and I can tell her the face and neck creams are NOT working (catty, moi?)

Bucksfizz Tue 24-May-16 11:19:34

I would suggest draping a voluminous but soft, silky scarf loosely around the neck, so that little of the neck is exposed yet the neck is not swathed tightly. The centre image in this picture is what I mean. You could add a nice necklace, say a soft, comfortable plastic or leather thong type, with a shiny metal dragonfly or other eye catching decoration hanging from it, to cover the exposed part of the throat at the front.

Don't forget, also, how flattering white pearls (not grey ones) are for an ageing complexion. Clever dressing is a challenge and a skill.

Katek Tue 24-May-16 11:32:12

Snood type scarves are so easy to wear-just loop them once and pop over your head. You can then adjust how high/low you want the loops.

TriciaF Tue 24-May-16 11:35:39

I think the V neck effect is most flattering, especially if you have a short neck like me. Even though it doesn't cover the wrinkles.
Another idea, if you have a long neck, is a choker necklace. There are some very pretty ones.

granessie Tue 24-May-16 11:45:40

I loved all the comments so far. My sister has started wearing scarves, and does not always seem to get it right. I think the choice of scarf is very important. Colours, texture, length, etc. Otherwise I think oh she is trying to hide her neck again and I have not noticed any wrinkles!!!!.
PS I love scarves but I am not always successful. I do have wrinkles but have opted to apply creams and/or oils, down from my face and I hope my skin is begining to look softer and moisturised and then just forget about them.and wear my scarves with fun.

lizzypopbottle Tue 24-May-16 14:36:41

Glamorous, older female celeb photos are virtually always retouched, airbrushed etc. possibly with the exception of Dame Judi Dench. Depend upon it. If not, they have had work done! Expensive creams and supplements can't replace lost collagen, no matter what they may claim on the box, so save your money. If you want to consume collagen in the hopes of making a difference, use gelatine. It's the same thing. Both are derived from hides as by-products of the meat industry. Vegetarians beware!

Wrinkly necks are a fact of life so if it bothers you, just train yourself to hold your head up. It helps a bit. Try it in the mirror. Hold or prop your phone or tablet computer at eye level. Grow your hair and wear it loose to hide your neck or in a very tight 'chav' pony tail or up do ? Get Eva Frazer's facial exercise book and do the workouts every day... Save up £10,000 and have surgery like Lulu. She looks great at 67 ?

Sheilasue Tue 24-May-16 15:05:40

Have a drawer full f scarfs and now I have a scraggy neck I like to wear them only trouble is if we have summer that's warm can make you really hot.

NonnaAnnie Tue 24-May-16 16:13:12

I have a scar on my throat where I had half my thyroid removed, I think people look at that rather than my wrinkly neck.

Ana Tue 24-May-16 16:25:37

Don't think the 'chav' pony tail (or Essex Facelift!)would do anything for jowls and/or a turkey neck. Good eye make-up or stylish specs direct the eye away from that area - hard to worry about it really, at the age most of us are!

Sulis Tue 24-May-16 16:30:16

So - I had a face lift which helped with saggy jaw and neck. But that was 11 years ago and although the results are still fab, "things" have relaxed a bit! Scarves? Makeup? nothing is truly going to disguise the problem. HOWEVER - everyone else is far too worried about their own beauty problems to notice yours! So stop worrying, smile, and enjoy life. It's far too short a commodity to worry about such trivialities!

EmilyHarburn Tue 24-May-16 16:48:47

There are some fun options on the internet

www.gurl.com/2014/03/15/style-tips-on-how-to-wear-and-tie-a-scarf-for-any-season/
helloglow.co/how-to-tie-a-scarf/
And on U tube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYAEz777AU

evelynfred Tue 24-May-16 16:55:44

I think the answer to wearing a scarf around the neck is never have it to tight around the throat area....always make sure it drapes into folds.....much cooler too....

Cherrytree59 Tue 24-May-16 17:09:47

fumanchu have you checked. Moira. C scarflace
I have loads of them as I have large operation scar at base of my neck.
They can be used in a variety of different ways.
They have a small magnetic fastening.

mischief Tue 24-May-16 18:16:14

Whenever I see a mature lady with a scarf around her neck I always think she must have a crepey neck.

I just do lots of moisturiser and don't bother about it - it's just part of getting older like all the other wrinkles.

Juggernaut Tue 24-May-16 18:25:11

All the women in my family develop 'turkey crops' by their mid fifties, so mine's well and truly here now!
I've tried wearing scarves, but always manage to look like a bag lady, I'm tall with a big frame and am a bit on the heavy side, so sometimes feel scarves just make me look bigger.
I wear big earrings quite often as they seem to 'draw the eye away' from my neck, and lots of eye make-up helps too!
I'm often told that I have spectacular boobs, so occasionally I wear a low(ish) neckline and find that people don't look at my neck so much thenwink

Anne2108 Tue 24-May-16 18:31:04

I love scarves and have a huge collection. Silky ones are the worse to tie/keep in place. Light cotton mix or voile are easier. Look on utube for loads of ways to tie them.

Theoddbird Tue 24-May-16 20:43:08

I put cream on my neck morning and night....seems to help. Use the best you can afford. Oh and holding your head high with chin tilted up also helps...takes practice. Shoulders back and back straight all help pull the skin tighter on the neck.

Misha14 Wed 25-May-16 14:12:00

Try a feature necklace, or pendant that distracts the attention from your neck.

Charleygirl Wed 25-May-16 16:21:46

I apply the same moisturising cream to my neck as well as my face and then the same makeup to my neck and it appears to help. I do not appear to have wrinkles around my neck. That would be the least of my problems- I like others have to wear trousers to cover my swollen ankle caused by a fracture and it was pinned and plated.

Elegran Wed 25-May-16 16:35:12

I'd say that is the key, "Charleygirl" - whatever you do to moisturise your face needs also to be done to your neck. After years of NOT moisturising the neck, it is a bit late to suddenly start lathering it on once the wrinkles are showing. Prevention is better than cure.

Makeup as well. Some girls and women seem to have beautiful makeup which stops abruptly at the chin. I don't know why they don't continue it down.

Mirandaf55 Wed 25-May-16 17:08:26

I use a primer on my face and throat before applying makeup, and while I don't put makeup on my throat, the primer seems to help with the lines. I use the one from Look Fabulous Forever, along with their base and concealer, I find their range is very good for older skins. And sun cream is your friend at any age!

Ana Wed 25-May-16 17:13:11

I've neveer worn makeup on my neck, although I do take care to blend it in just beyond the jawline. Doesn't it make a mess of collars and necklines?

Corncob Wed 25-May-16 17:29:40

At my age I no longer worry about wrinkles.I am just glad that I have reached the age I am as many people do not make it my husband brother and best friend being among them. Just smile,people like you for who you are not because you are wrinkle free.

Luckylegs9 Wed 25-May-16 17:41:20

I just leave off my bra and the wrinkles disappear.