Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Sleepwear

(29 Posts)
NanKate Wed 22-Oct-14 21:56:02

I tend towards having irritable skin especially if I feel hot. Can anyone please recommend silky or satin or cotton nightwear and where to buy it.

I have looked up all the usual places such as m and s but can't find what I want.

annodomini Wed 22-Oct-14 22:31:34

I wear soft pima cotton night dresses from Landsend. I usually buy them when they're on offer.

Soutra Wed 22-Oct-14 22:33:20

David Neiper, Bella di Notte and Patra occur to me.
Failing that, be like Marilyn Monroe and stick to Chanel No. 5 grin

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 22:34:12

m.patra.com/Category/Women_Silk-And-Cotton-Night-Dresses

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 22:37:42

Crossed posts Soutra

I treat myself to a new silk nightie every year from The White Company and now have a little collection, but they are quite expensive. They last for years though despite going in the washing machine. They only have them in the run up to Christmas.

Anya Wed 22-Oct-14 22:54:49

I love Patra's silk vests. They are so light yet warm and don't add bulk under winter clothes.

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 23:00:06

I like the look of those vests, Anya. How are they size-wise?

Anya Wed 22-Oct-14 23:12:52

I went for a size larger than my usual Ana as I don't like the look when something is stretched from one breast to the other, I prefer the separate look to the platform look, if you get my drift. So a size larger draped nicely.

I also find them great for wearing under filmy tops. I have several in cream, black, no sleeves, cap sleeves and long sleeves. And because they're so fine they dry very quickly.

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 23:16:21

Thanks, Anya, I'm going to order a couple. I usually live in M&S thermals in the winter but they're no good under fine tops smile

NanKate Thu 23-Oct-14 09:45:59

Thanks All really helpful.

I have in fact got a White Company in the small town I live in and had never thought of them. I shall be checking it out later, plus the other helpful suggestions. flowers

Your idea gave me a laugh Soutra. If I follow your suggestion, especially as it is my 43 Wedding Anniversary today, my DH will think all his Christmases have come at once. grin

Lona Thu 23-Oct-14 10:44:20

Ana I also have the Patra silk camisoles, just plain with thin straps.
They are useful in summer too, when you still want a Tshirt but it's a bit chilly.

MiniMouse Thu 23-Oct-14 11:39:11

I've used Patra, but have switched to Sulis Silks. Their camis seem better quality, they're a little longer and they're less expensive than Patra - even with p & p added.

Anya Thu 23-Oct-14 11:47:41

I don't find Sulis website very easy to use.

TriciaF Thu 23-Oct-14 17:02:07

Silk vests - I've been wearing John Lewis ones in the winter for many years, but in daytime, under wool jumpers. I've just bought 2 new ones, quite expensive (£38 each) but should last a few years.
As for nightwear, I'm still looking for warm cotton jersey pyjamas. The M&S ones are ok, but they don't have a cosey neckline.

goldengirl Thu 23-Oct-14 17:48:40

I fancy some pjs for the winter as I usually wear nighties throughout the year and today I visited Next. No nighties there but they had some very nice pjs. The only problem was the tops in the sets had Christmas logos in the front - which I loathe- or silly sayings which I also dislike. The tops for the separates seem rather thin compared to the bottoms so I didn't buy in the end. However I did think the prices were reasonable. I could always buy a onesie I suppose!!!!! Yuck

Soutra Thu 23-Oct-14 18:42:04

Clearly outclassed here in the sexy nightwear stakesgrin - I wear cotton pj bottoms and a variety of co ordinating t shirts sad

Coolgran65 Thu 23-Oct-14 18:44:05

I also detest silly logos and sayings. Often I buy t-shirts to use as pj tops.

Ariadne Thu 23-Oct-14 18:46:25

Don't wear anything....blush

Soutra Thu 23-Oct-14 18:59:07

Ooh! blush

Jess25 Mon 10-Nov-14 21:29:37

You should check this one: www.jasminesilk.com/ladies-nightwear/c59
It has quite a good choice of silk nightwears. Maybe you'll fing smth proper for you smile

whitewave Mon 10-Nov-14 21:34:30

ariadne neither do I. I do have nightwear that I put on in the morning!!! to make the tea etc. I have tried wearing stuff in bed but always end up getting irritated with it and taking it off after half an hour or so.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Nov-14 21:45:39

Not nightwear, but I bought a trouser petticoat today. I am going to wear it under itchy trousers. DH said "Oh, pantaloons". It's not. hmm

whitewave Mon 10-Nov-14 21:48:11

I should think that they are really good under wool trousers. It would make them look better too

Grannyknot Tue 11-Nov-14 07:06:43

I've just ordered bamboo camis. I love clothes made from bamboo, light warm and breathable!

Ariadne Tue 11-Nov-14 09:35:14

Nothing in bed - T-shirt nearby when GC are staying - wouldn't want to frighten them!