Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hiding a wrinkly neck?

(52 Posts)
fumanchu Mon 23-May-16 11:59:11

How do you all do it? I can't seem to get the scarf thing to work, I either turn beetroot and pour with sweat cos the damn scarf is so big and makes me hot, or I wear a tiny skinny little scarf that doesn't hide the wrinkly neck and just looks silly!

rosesarered Mon 23-May-16 12:05:05

I don't have a wrinkly neck (yet.... Give it time) but if you can't get on with high necks or scarves ( can you buy all cotton scarves?) what about a lower neckline and jewellery that goes lower,so takes the eye away from the worst bits?smile

rosesarered Mon 23-May-16 12:06:00

Of course, Fu Manchu if you are a man then I suggest a bushy beard.

kittylester Mon 23-May-16 12:22:04

I can't cope with scarves full stop and the fact that I have short (ish) hair which gets pushed up when I wear a scarf doesn't help. No help with a wrinkly neck but a real pain.

Anniebach Mon 23-May-16 12:28:31

A fairly long silk scarf just wrapped once around the throat

Alima Mon 23-May-16 12:31:12

Relieved it isn't only me who cannot do scarves though that doesn't help you fumanchu. A blouse or shirt with the collar turned up? Isn't there a tribe somewhere where the women wear discs, or rings, all up their necks? Worth a thought though it may be a bit clankey or even turn your neck green. Not really helping here so I'll shut up.

gettingonabit Mon 23-May-16 12:42:22

I put make up on my neck and decolletage (sp)?. Definitely improves the texture and look.

Nonnie1 Mon 23-May-16 13:16:35

fumanchu here is the answer:-

www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Embellished-Bandana-Neck-Tie/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6123583&r=2

willsmadnan Mon 23-May-16 13:29:57

I think I've ordered a couple of scarves like the asos one from ebay . They were pretty cheap, so may not be as good as they look. I thought I'd try them as I see lots of 'mature' ladies wearing light scarves to compliment their outfits, but whatever I try I always look as if I'm a) being garotted or b) a bag lady. I have a short neck, not helped by a double chin which hangs around (yes literally)despite losing weight. The asos style ones look as it they drape quite nicely...whether they will actually stay put is another matter!

Lyndylou Mon 23-May-16 20:40:43

I have the same or similar issue. I recently seem to have developed a deep wrinkle around the base of my neck. Probably looking down at a laptop doesn't help. I hate scarves and prefer v neck tops, but when I look in the mirror I think I look as if I have a tide mark at my throat!! I've been considering whether a thickish necklace might hide it or just look silly.

shysal Mon 23-May-16 21:02:49

In the 'because you're worth it' adverts Jane Fonda wore her collar turned up and held a bunch of roses to her neck, whilst looking backwards at the camera!

I have a short neck which has creases. Unfortunately, in the summer, I get white lines where the sun doesn't reach when sitting outside reading, which looks awful when I lift my chin. I wear sun block when I remember but still tan very quickly. Scarves don't do it for me so I just don't worry about it!

morethan2 Mon 23-May-16 21:12:01

A few years ago I remember looking at my slightly younger sisters neck and thinking smugly she's got a bit of a scraggly neck. It had a sort of wrinkly dimple were a mans Adam's apple would be. Well now I've developed the same neck so it serves me right for being so smug. It doesn't help having a short neck and big boobs. I look ridiculous in high necklines. A scarf looks terrible on me . I just try not to look in mirrors. What can I do about it. Nowt.sad

kittylester Mon 23-May-16 21:43:51

After all the above, we are all, presumably, of a certain age and wrinkly necks are part of that. Up to now I don't have one but please don't mention the blessed bingo wings! It's probably swings and roundabouts! grin

fumanchu Mon 23-May-16 22:30:10

Despite the name I'm female smile - with short hair and a wrinkly neck. Thanks for all the support, at least I'm not alone. As kittylester says, you hair gets all sticky-outy at the back if you have a scarf. Maybe do a Jane Fonda then - spend my life looking backwards simpering over a bunch of roses? Until the damn things wither or I walk into a wall. Right!

Lilypops Tue 24-May-16 08:15:37

Mary Berry always seems to get her scarves looking great, no matter how I try ,I can't get the same look, I think she looks fabulous, but then I expect she has a dresser/stylist on hand, but I will keep practising till I get it right ,

gettingonabit Tue 24-May-16 08:49:35

I always wear scarves and don't get the angst!

Just get a long scarf-the longer and more voluminous the better- halve it, loop it round neck and thread one end through the looped end.

Have you looked at youtube for inspiration?

Lona Tue 24-May-16 08:52:08

Keep smiling and no one will notice your neck smile #optimistic

thatbags Tue 24-May-16 09:01:50

Well said, Lona. I don't actually care if anyone does notice my wrinkly neck, tbh. After all, I notice lots of things about other people, most of which leave me completely unmoved.

In short, it doesn't matter if one has a wrinkly neck in one's older age.

thatbags Tue 24-May-16 09:02:45

Might have worried if I'd had a wrinkly neck at the age of fifteen, but since I didn't... shrug.

annsixty Tue 24-May-16 09:12:25

It is definitely the short neck that wrinkles and looks "not right " in scarves. I know I've got one.

GandTea Tue 24-May-16 09:28:53

I should be so lucky to just have a wrinkly neck smile

Wilks Tue 24-May-16 10:06:09

Everyone seems to wear scarves here and they look so stylish. I sometimes start off with one (not stylish mind you), then get hot, take it off and lose it. It's happened many times. I saw a brilliant video on Facebook but couldn't save it without sharing and I didn't want to look shallow!

ExaltedWombat Tue 24-May-16 10:14:37

No one except you minds your wrinkly neck. Learn not to mind either.

Lilyflower Tue 24-May-16 10:23:15

I have a neck which is a little the worse for wear through sunbathing. It's not very wrinkly, but it is not smooth and lovely, that's for sure.

I don't bother to keep it covered. Just as long hair on an older woman drags the face down, so collars and scarves age a face. Short hair styled upwards and lowish, plain necks work best on other older women so I have adopted them for myself.

I don't even bother with long sleeves even though the goddess of being 70, Helen Mirren, is never seen without them.

Lupatria Tue 24-May-16 10:29:17

can't wear anything around my neck as i've a funny little nerve somewhere which irritates me if there's a high neck to a blouse/top, a too short chain to a necklace or a scarf.
but i regularly use m&s royal jelly with honey moisturiser [usually the day face one] on my neck and it's not at all wrinkly. although maybe it's because i'm on hrt and wrinkles haven't yet set in!
i've got "bingo wings" so tend not to wear sleeveless tops but i've got to the stage when i think "to h*ll with it - i'm getting older and it doesn't matter".
got long hair too but as i'm carrying a bit of weight and i'm tall. i've had short hair in the past and, frankly, i look like my head is too small for my body!