Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10

(39 Posts)
Elegran Wed 17-Jun-15 11:29:43

Well, I have reserved my (free) Windows 10 upgrade. It will be downloaded automatically on/after July 29th, and I will receive an email telling me it is there to be installed.

I hope it comes up to the hype. At least I can change my mind and not install it, it won't automatically replace Windows 7 (which I don't like particularly, but I have got used to it.).

NotTooOld Thu 13-Aug-15 19:28:45

I've just about got used to 8.1. I hated it for ages but now I'm reluctant to download 10 in case it takes me as long again to get used to it. However, I've been told that all the old Windows operating systems will fairly soon be disappearing so do we actually have much choice?

NotTooOld Thu 13-Aug-15 19:28:45

I've just about got used to 8.1. I hated it for ages but now I'm reluctant to download 10 in case it takes me as long again to get used to it. However, I've been told that all the old Windows operating systems will fairly soon be disappearing so do we actually have much choice?

Rider Thu 13-Aug-15 21:50:47

Hello NotTooOld - Windows 8.1 will be supported by Microsoft for a good while yet. Have a look at Microsoft's 'Windows lifecycle fact sheet':

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Regarding Windows 10: Nvidia released a new driver for their graphics cards, so I am back with Windows 10 to see what difference it makes. The answer is none. It still has the same niggles as the last time I tried it. Not major problems but they didn't occur in Windows 8.1.

* A game the family like to play crashes upon opening.
* CorelDraw's menu bar has white captions on a while background.
* Games Apps from the Windows Store are too wide when maximised (about half an inch of the App goes off the edge of the screen).

Happy4me Fri 14-Aug-15 13:01:52

After my previous attempt to download Windows 10 my pc man had to download 2 site cleaners to remove all the extras on board acquired with so many updates and my broadband went for that day too.

Windows 10 was persisting in downloading even after I cancelled my reservation and download irrespectively still stopping short at final stage quoting fault yet is says my pc is fully equipped for Windows 10.

Shades of big brother watching you now as they have their icon on board and know relative email and you cannot remove the icon which seems to do what it wants basically.

Am not bothered enough to want Window 10 now

12Michael Mon 17-Aug-15 07:44:59

One thing I did find was unless you get download screen going from windows XP,7, 8 or 8.1 is your security software during the stage of trying to get 10 , what had happened my computer was open to viruses ,and unless you do a scan these will remain in your computer such as a Trojan.
I did a full scan on Microsoft security essentials which detected to unknown sources such as a Trojan.
As to doing other Microsoft updates in that area , when searching for updates , the Windows 10 is already ticked to download I now ensure each update for security , it is unticked so I can update the one I want.

railman Mon 17-Aug-15 13:57:11

To anyone considering Windows 10, I would suggest you wait until they've issued all the patches, fixes and service updates before installing.

railman Mon 17-Aug-15 14:00:48

I'm with AshTree ..... it's cheaper in the end to buy a Mac, whether it's an iMac, Macbook, or iPad.

When I think of the time I've wasted waiting for something to happen, update, re-install, reboot in safe mode, or a full re-install from the original discs .... !

Yup - buy a Mac

rosesarered Mon 17-Aug-15 14:36:49

Just got new computer home, they loaded Windows10 and all the security, Word etc onto it, and all working perfectly and quickly, what a relief.
Look forward to using it now.smile

Rider Mon 17-Aug-15 17:23:57

I think a Mac can be more reliable as regards updates because the computer was made By Apple using Apple approved hardware, the operating system is Apple and the installed programs are mostly Apple. In other words, Apple knows what they are upgrading and what hardware is running the computers.

Microsoft don't have control of what the upgrade is being installed on. It has to work on all combinations of hardware and installed software. There may also be faults present on a new or old computer. I don't think an upgrade can sometimes cater for all of the factors that might be present. This could be why the Windows 10 upgrade works properly for some people but not others. A clean installation perhaps stands a better chance of working correctly if the hassle of doing that can be faced ..or if someone is willing to do this for you.

As said in an earlier post, Macs are not without their update and other problems A search of the Internet can prove that. They are also not a cheaper option because, if the Windows 10 upgrade can be installed successfully, it will cost nothing ...except perhaps for hiring some help if that proves necessary.

A good alternative is Linux. This is really cheap. Zero cost in fact (unless hired help is needed). Linux systems come with many core programs pre-installed and work pretty well in my opinion. Ubuntu or Linux Mint are probably the ones most like a Windows operating system.

Windows 10 is what we're all talking about now because so many people are going through a major upgrade. Let's face it though. All computers can give problems, no matter what the platform. It's the just nature of them. They are technical devices trying their best to be household items. This doesn't always work.

Indinana Mon 24-Aug-15 18:05:34

With apologies to people who don't like links - I'm not overly keen on them myself, but it's not easy for me to paraphrase the information in this article. I've yet to upgrade to Windows 10, and after reading this article, I'm even less sure that I want to.

this makes interesting reading

Happy4me Wed 26-Aug-15 22:34:07

Since my attempt to download Windows 10 my pc man added another programme on my pc to check just in case and guess what I have to use it often now as pc now gets other stuff in it because of updates during downloading Windows 10.
Advanced Care 8 does the trick ... try it yourselves as it WORKS ... smile

feetlebaum Thu 27-Aug-15 09:09:57

@Charleygirl - I don't think OneNote 'comes with' anything. You have to download it if you want it. (I had never heard of it until now.) Admittedly I don't use MS Office (prefer LibreOffice) but I've had no problems printing from 8.0 or 8.1.

@Pittcity - What is so 'horrendous' about W 8.1? I've been very happy with it, thank you. It's like a cleaned-up, faster version of W 7. Mind you I've never been fond of the W 7 Start Menu...

Pittcity Thu 27-Aug-15 09:55:48

feetlebaum horrendous was the wrong word to use I think. W 8.1 works with a touch screen I think but we have all got used to the Start menu on all previous Windows incarnations and so the big changes made by 8 took a lot of getting used to. 10 has taken the best of both and gone back to a more intuitive format that can work with both touchscreens and keyboard/mouse devices. I think it is a big improvement.