Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Battle for Number Ten

(49 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 27-Mar-15 23:51:36

Did you watch this? I thought Paxman was an absolute bully the way he interviewed both Cameron and Miliband. Surely his job was to interview them about their policies then let the audience ask questions. In a polite, respectful manner.
But he harassed them both, made personal attacks, sneered at their answers and interrupted repeatedly.
I was looking forward to this programme but felt embarrassed and uncomfortable watching. What did Paxman hope to achieve by acting in this arrogant manner? Why could he not be civil to them both?

vampirequeen Sat 28-Mar-15 08:21:44

It's what most people expect of Paxman. It's a character he plays as much as anything.

I loved the reply to "You're a north London geek." A sneer and "So." lol.

rosesarered Sat 28-Mar-15 10:53:24

As VQ says, it's a character he plays.At least he was even handed and sneered at both of them!

NotTooOld Sat 28-Mar-15 11:46:33

Yes, it's what Paxman does but it can be embarrassing to watch. Did anyone else notice the exchange at the end of Milliband's interview? Paxman obviously thought the microphones were turned off but they weren't.

Paxman: Are you alright, Ed?

Milliband: Yes. Are you?

One of the commentators later picked up on Paxman's comment but did not go on to mention Milliband's. Just goes to show they are all good mates behind the nasty exchanges.

Charleygirl Sat 28-Mar-15 11:53:52

I agree, I do not think that we were supposed to see and hear that exchange at the end.

Paxman did not have to courtesy to address and welcome David Cameron properly, he launched straight in.

For me, the 90 minutes flashed by.

FarNorth Sat 28-Mar-15 11:54:57

All the politicians are acting parts and they change what they say from one day to the next.
It's worrying that these are the people running the country.

Nonnie Sat 28-Mar-15 12:03:44

Only got round to watching last night but thought it was interesting. Bit cross they didn't get EM to answer the question about what the deficit would be by 2020 if he was in charge. As I am normally pretty underwhelmed by EM he was better than I expected.

Thought the audience were jolly good.

Went on to watch the Trevor Philips programme. Serious night last night.

mrsmopp Sat 28-Mar-15 13:10:48

Perhaps they should get Jeremy Paxman to interview Jeremy Clarkson!
What a clash of egos that would be. I might even watch that one.....

durhamjen Sat 28-Mar-15 13:14:53

Paxman's a Tory. He has been asked to stand as MP and as Mayor of London by the Tory party.

Elegran Sat 28-Mar-15 13:16:44

The battle of the Jeremys. They could get Jeremy Kyle to referee.

durhamjen Sat 28-Mar-15 13:39:41

Or have a three way battle and eventually blow up.

Nonnie Sat 28-Mar-15 17:15:39

I thought it was a very balanced job that Paxo did and I'm sure that whatever his personal politics are he was professional and didn't allow them to influence him at all. If there were any doubt I'm sure someone else would have been asked to do the job.

Mishap Sat 28-Mar-15 17:36:52

I did not watch it - I am tired of each party slagging off the others. They say they won't do it but seem unable to resist.

I have no idea who I will vote for at present. Our constituency MP is excellent in his support for the locality but he belongs to a party that actually thought Michael Gove had sensible educational policies - unbelievable! But he will get in, so it makes little difference who I vote for.

NotTooOld Sat 28-Mar-15 17:44:37

Mishap - you must vote! Even if, as you say, it will make no difference. Think of the women who died to get us the vote. Don't let them down.

vampirequeen Sat 28-Mar-15 18:12:01

It's important to take part in the ballot even if you think your vote won't count. We take our electoral rights for granted and that's dangerous because it makes it much easier for extremists to get in.

I hate the way Dave had decided to make personal attacks on Ed. Suggests that the Conservatives are not sure that they can win on their policies.

Mishap Sat 28-Mar-15 18:45:14

I will vote!! - I was just registering the fact that it will not make any difference to the outcome.

We have parish and county councillors to vote for at the same time. And that's a bit of a farce as there are fewer candidates than vacancies so they will all get in any way whatever I do.

This is democracy in action chaps!

vegasmags Sat 28-Mar-15 18:58:16

I like Jeremy Paxman and find that without him Newsnight has become boring and anodyne. He is a professional to his fingertips. He always seems to ask the questions that I would like to ask. I found the remainder of the programme, with the tame audience, just one long advert.

Iam64 Sat 28-Mar-15 19:00:50

I probably should be posting in aibu - I found the female presenter,Kay Burley I think her name is, a simpering, posing, and rather unpleasant individual. I didn't feel her frock was appropriate for the job of work she was doing, and as for her makeup - awful.

Apologies to anyone whose been offended by this rant. Why couldn't we have one of the Kirsty's instead ? Or even a Dimbley

durhamjen Sat 28-Mar-15 19:18:50

David Dimbleby was in the Bullingdon club? Good reason not to have him.

durhamjen Sat 28-Mar-15 19:19:34

Iam, what did her dress have to do with it?

merlotgran Sat 28-Mar-15 19:32:54

There's a political drama, Coalition, on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.

Might be worth a look as there's usually bugger all nothing else worth watching.

whitewave Sat 28-Mar-15 19:36:05

It has a reasonable write up. Think I will record it -

Eloethan Sat 28-Mar-15 22:46:23

The remark that Paxman made to Miliband after the debate can be interpreted in different ways, for instance:

"Are you all right Ed" - as undermining Miliband by implying that he had been ruffled by the questions. The reply "Yes, are you" - as combative rather than friendly.

I didn't think the interviews or the audience questions were particularly enlightening. I didn't think Miliband or Cameron were that impressive when questioned by Paxman, but I did think Miliband came across as much more open and natural when interacting with the audience.

On the whole, though, I thought it was all pretty lacklustre.

POGS Sat 28-Mar-15 23:31:05

I watched this on the night and I made a decision as to how it went.

I however watched it back today and I picked up on the nuances that I missed and realised there were more hard policy questions to one of them than the other. I fully appreciate others will disagree but this was my conclusion.

It was all in all pretty crap.

I did not see any bias on Paxmans part as eluded to!. The problem with Paxman was his questions were either rude, reasonable or worthless. Cameron had the dinosaur question of class warfare and Ed Miliband had the pathetic questions re stabbing his brother in the back and his appearance. Anybody truly concerned in trying to decide who to vote for wouldn't find either point interesting or even worthy of adult questioning.

I thought the time was wasted by trying to belittle BOTH Cameron and Miliband rather than concentrating on policy and finances. It confirmed to my mind I would have preferred a head to head debate where the questions were fired at both of them at the same time and the questions were not loaded to benefit either of them. I appreciate that was Cameron's doing but I think he made a mistake .

Why did the format change ? Cameron had the Paxman monstering first and settled down with the audience whereas Miliband was calmer with having the audience questioning first and Paxmans monstering second.

whitewave Sun 29-Mar-15 13:45:53

POGS just watched this morning and inclined to agree with you. It was a waste of time. Paxman has too big an ego.