Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Battle for Number Ten

(50 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 27-Mar-15 23:51:36

Did you watch this? I thought Paxman was an absolute bully the way he interviewed both Cameron and Miliband. Surely his job was to interview them about their policies then let the audience ask questions. In a polite, respectful manner.
But he harassed them both, made personal attacks, sneered at their answers and interrupted repeatedly.
I was looking forward to this programme but felt embarrassed and uncomfortable watching. What did Paxman hope to achieve by acting in this arrogant manner? Why could he not be civil to them both?

Iam64 Mon 30-Mar-15 08:45:51

POGS -you and I are usually on opposite sides of the political divide, well I suspect we still are but I agree with your comments on the Cameron-Milliband interviews.

I wanted to hear both men set out their policies and would have much preferred a live debate to what we got.

POGS Mon 30-Mar-15 09:51:10

Iam 64

wine

Nonnie Mon 30-Mar-15 10:08:17

I would have preferred the audience to have been able to just ask the questions without them being preselected. I know that means some of them might have been a waste of time but the whole thing felt a bit like they had rehearsed.

ayse Mon 30-Mar-15 10:13:54

I haven't watched it yet! Been too busy with children and grandchildren.

Wouldn't it be different if we had politicians who stopped blaming the last party that was in power and we had a more long term planning. It would save all this nonsense of keep changing systems and spending more money on a new system that doesn't seem to work either! e.g. schools, universal credit, NHS. It all makes me so cross that no politician takes responsibility. To me they are like children, always blaming someone else for the problems. In my book, politicians are part of the problem whilst they should be part of the solution.

Sorry for the rant but I wish we could have government that built on previous improvements - not continual change for its own sake!

durhamjen Mon 30-Mar-15 12:06:04

The reason we did not have a live debate was because Cameron would not agree to one. He's too scared.
Miliband has said he will debate with him any time anywhere.
Cameron's the coward.

TerriBull Mon 30-Mar-15 12:32:21

I would have preferred a live debate, most of us just want the two main contenders to talk about their respective party's policies. I don't think we need personal attacks such as "north London geek". I thought Cameron came across as somewhat evasive which may explain Labour's initial jump of 4%, that and Ed's "Hell yes" response to Paxo's question of "do you think your are up to the job?", but Ed's personal rating isn't very good, so I guess the only way is up if he puts on his "strong" persona. I don't know why Cameron balked at a live debate, it hasn't done him a lot of good, particularly as he manages to wipe the floor with Ed at PM questions.

Anniebach Mon 30-Mar-15 13:21:02

Easy to wipe the floor at PM Questions , the opposition is allowed three questions , no response is allowed after the answer to the third question is given . What is irritating is replying to a question with a question, Cammeron does this every week, and questions to the PM must be entered several days before

gillybob Mon 30-Mar-15 13:32:26

The "hell yes" from Milliband was pathetic. It was obviously rehearsed and he really doesn't suit trying to play the "tough guy" .

durhamjen Mon 30-Mar-15 15:02:39

Make your mind up. He gets criticised for appearing weak. Now he's being criticised for appearing strong.

A bit of light entertainment.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/03/30/our-pets-are-alreadysick-of-the-election

NotTooOld Mon 30-Mar-15 15:09:11

Poor old Ed, he can't do right for doing wrong. I thought the questioning from the woman presenter about the battle with his brother was quite out of order.

Nonnie Mon 30-Mar-15 15:16:06

I couldn't see what Ed and his brother had to do with the election.

NotTooOld Mon 30-Mar-15 15:22:04

Exactly, nothing to do with the election at all. Mind you, it did sound from what he said that the whole leadership thing had caused no end of trouble within the Milliband family, didn't it? He said the whole affair had been 'bruising' and they were still 'bruised'. What Mum could imagine her two sons falling out over who should be prime minister?

David: 'It's my job! Mum, tell him!'

Ed: 'that's not fair! I want it!'

Mum: That's enough. Both of you get on the naughty step. Now!

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 15:36:49

I still remember the results of the leadership vote when it was shown on tv - David looked absolutely gutted! I don't think anyone had expected Ed to win.

hildajenniJ Mon 30-Mar-15 16:04:51

I'm already fed up with the lot of them! I hope the whole of Scotland votes SNP and Nichols Sturgeon gets in to number 10!!!

whitewave Mon 30-Mar-15 18:04:12

Be careful for what you wish for!!!

rosesarered Mon 30-Mar-15 18:37:22

Hilda! wash your mouth out with soap and water.

pompa Mon 30-Mar-15 19:21:20

What's the point in voting, whom ever you vote for, the government will still get in.

NotTooOld Mon 30-Mar-15 21:31:08

Er, yes, they will............but which government? Oh, sorry, Pompa, it's one of your jokes! BUT - you must vote. I've said it before somewhere, people died so we could vote so we must go and do it!!!

Ana Mon 30-Mar-15 22:14:03

Strictly speaking, people died so that we (women) could have the right to vote.

I think we should do, but don't like the moral blackmail line - it's up to the individual to decide whether they will vote or not.

pompa Mon 30-Mar-15 22:36:27

I've already decided who I will vote for, so I'm bored with all the election stuff now.

NotTooOld Mon 30-Mar-15 22:51:04

Ana - you are correct, of course, but it is the principle of the thing. So many people in the world don't have the right to vote that I feel those of us who do, men and women, should do so. (Sorry, off soap box now!)

Pompa - I admire your decisiveness. I wish I could decide. There is so much information and mis-information about that I am finding it very difficult to work out what's what. I can see me walking into the polling booth and going 'Eeny, meeny, miney, mo........' (can't quote the rest of it or I'll be in trouble - perhaps I am already.)

durhamjen Mon 30-Mar-15 22:57:26

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/03/30/here-s-what-the-queen-has-to-say-about-cameron-s-hung-parlia

NotTooOld Mon 30-Mar-15 23:09:39

Like it, durhamjen. Thank you!

durhamjen Mon 30-Mar-15 23:14:03

I think it's supposed to be a joke, but you never can tell. We'll find out in May.