Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays

(44 Posts)
jo1book Wed 08-Apr-15 17:11:10

Are you going on holiday this year (sound like the hairdresser)? Anyone going to Bologna?

Parcs Wed 08-Apr-15 17:47:22

I wish I were going on Holiday, alas I am afraid of the plane. If I weren't afraid of the plane, I would love to go to Barbados!

tanith Wed 08-Apr-15 18:16:13

OH retires this year and we intend on having a nice holiday in the UK as he won't fly by the coast we've yet to finalis where , but I fully intend on visiting my son who lives in Gibraltar for a week or two and then take a holiday with both my daughters and one of the granddaughters to Tenerife or Minorca... they don't me tagging along .

Its called spending the kids inheritance, Gibraltar I only have to pay for flights which makes it so much cheaper , I just wish I could get OH on a plane he hasn't even met our youngest grandson because of his fear its such a shame.. I feel for you Parcs its not easy to have such a fear. I'd love to take him to lots of lovely places but its not to be outside the UK anyway.

Parcs Wed 08-Apr-15 18:28:45

tanith I have always wanted to inherit the braveness of someone not afraid of flying

Perhaps you could help both your OH and I buy explaining what goes on in your mind when boarding a plane, perhaps I could adopt that thought, I would so love to fly, I would try anything!

For an individual that is afraid of fly, the only thoughts going on are all negative ones.

Ariadne Wed 08-Apr-15 19:05:09

Off to Dubai (briefly) Australia and Singapore in September - cancelled last year when I began to fall apart. (Knees, hips - you've all heard it before!)smile

Am so looking forward to it all - seeing places, visiting friends, shopping in Singapore. And business class so I get to lie down - my other favourite activity!

Over to France for a while in May, though, to stock up the wine and so on. And some lovely weekends away. #makingupforlosttime

annsixty Wed 08-Apr-15 19:46:27

This must be the umpthteen time I have said this on here but just go ,go, go. DH and I can no longer go on a proper holiday as he is only happy when he is in familiar territory. We could afford good holidays as we couldn't in past years and now it is too late, so learn from my experience and take every chance you can. On the flying thing Parcs I was just like you until my DD took my 8 week old GS a 10 hour flight away and if I wanted to see him I had to get on a plane. It wasn't easy but I overcame it and then flew regularly until 3 years ago. I would just love to fly to some sun now so come on,do it.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 08-Apr-15 19:58:23

Off to Carcassonne later in the year with DS DIL and GD Can't wait !!!
Throughout my life ( maried to a serviceman) I have been so fortunate to get to get to many places, even Hong Kong but visited Paris as a school trip many moons ago and have always had a place in my heart for anything French...
A bit of heat ( hopefully ) a large glass of red wine,some bread and cheese......ooh !

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 08-Apr-15 19:59:43

to get to get ? Already practising the wine bit.

durhamjen Wed 08-Apr-15 20:17:57

Tanith, you can get to Gibraltar by train via Barcelona.
Use your husband's 25% tax free pension pot.

whitewave Wed 08-Apr-15 20:18:29

So many people are frightened of flying it is such a shame. My sister went on a thing with Virgin for people who were fearful of flying, she has since flown, not often, but will go if necessary which is better than before when she wouldn't go at all.

I can't say I am keen, I think I would feel better if it wasn't so crowded (I fly cattle class).

durhamjen Wed 08-Apr-15 20:19:04

www.seat61.com

tanith Wed 08-Apr-15 20:29:43

Thankyou durhamjen, I have suggested we do this I'm still working on him grin

Parcs I do have misgivings when I fly but needs must if I want to spend time with my family . I take a deep breath and think about the lovely time I'm going to have sharing time with my children and grandchildren its how I manage to do it. Its very sad but my OH who cannot fly through fear , transfers that fear onto me and he really gets upset and fearful when I or any family fly, he just can't help it, he does his best not to show how fearful he is when he takes me to the airport but I know how upset he is when I leave him.

ninathenana Wed 08-Apr-15 23:47:22

I enjoy flying, it's the ruddy airports I can't stand !

Those of you seeking sun but not wanting to fly, why not consider a no fly cruise.

We are away this weekend and are looking to do a last minute booking for September after the school holidays.

rubysong Thu 09-Apr-15 00:45:26

I'm currently in California with DS1 and family. Hot sun last week, snow yesterday!
We have a rail holiday in Scotland booked for May and probably will visit family 'up north' at some point in the summer.

baubles Thu 09-Apr-15 08:21:14

DH & I will be dotting around Greece for a few weeks visiting the ancient sites as well as a beach or two. Love the sunshine.

Teetime Thu 09-Apr-15 08:24:12

We are off to the Yorkshire Dales (Askrigg) in May for the walking and we both dislike flying. DH is 70 next year so we are planning on one of the Great Rail Journeys to the South of France.

J52 Thu 09-Apr-15 08:54:10

Supposed to be going to Spain, in a weeks time. If the French strikers allow!
I don't mind not getting back or going round the world as a diversion, but would like to get there! x

jo1book Thu 09-Apr-15 09:25:40

Teetime. HPB by any chance?

Marmight Thu 09-Apr-15 09:43:51

I've just returned from Oz so had nigh on a 24 hour flight, most of which was in severe turbulence. You get used to it although I must say I was a little concerned at times.... If you want to travel to see the family, to have exotic holidays, to see the world, then flying is almost obligatory. I used to hate it, but now it's just a matter of getting from a to b and I am of the mind that if my time is up, then it's up!
I am taking a gentle flip to the south of France in May, which will be a doddle. Go for it Parcs wink

Jane10 Thu 09-Apr-15 10:15:47

What am I thinking when I board a plane? Nothing much really. Just glad to be finally getting on board after having to hang about at the airport mostly. Am soon distracted by sheer irritation: other passengers who appear to be trying to cram massive so called "carry on" baggage into the overhead lockers, hoping against hope that the grossly overweight person with the personal hygiene issues isn't going to sit in the empty seat next to us etc etc etc so many distractions!
This year we're going on a small barge trip on the canals in the Champagne region in France (naturally!) with a few days in Paris before and after and later in the year on a short cruise through the Caledonian canal. Yes we are definitely SKI ing. The children are in despair!!

sunseeker Thu 09-Apr-15 10:27:03

Off to Spain with a friend soon and later this year going to Australia to visit family. I don't mind flying but used to hate the take off and landings - which wasn't helped when the glider pilot son of a friend told me that all landings are merely controlled crashes!!

Flying business class to Oz as last time I came back in cattle class and swore I would never do it again - yes its expensive but its not like I will be going there every year! Cheap holidays for a few years and dip into the savings!

KatyK Thu 09-Apr-15 15:05:53

We are going to The Cotswolds and later to Northumberland and are trying to book something abroad for later in the year. smile I used to be terrified of flying (I always kept my coat on [confused) grin DH used to say 'what good will that do you if anything happens?' I wouldn't speak on the flight so my poor DH would have to sit in silence! He loves flying. I am a lot better now, it's not my favourite thing to do but I am much happier flying now and can speak!

annsixty Thu 09-Apr-15 15:47:30

I admit to a little pang of envy just after my post yesterday. I rang a friend to wish her well as she is going to Tenerife tomorrow for two weeks and she said "and we have already booked another, to Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos".
Now that really is rubbing it in.

numberplease Thu 09-Apr-15 17:55:56

Now that hubby is out of hospital, we`re hoping that he`ll soon be fit enough for a holiday, we haven`t had one for 3 years. The problem is that he can`t drive anymore, and coach tours seem expensive compared to when we took our touring caravan away, so I wondered if anyone could suggest anything we could try, in the UK?

tiggypiro Thu 09-Apr-15 18:23:56

Basingstoke next week, Lakes in May, DD and GS's are here June, July August, lying down in a darkened room in September, Spain in October and Australia for November.
Unlike sunseeker I shall be turning left both going and coming back on the way to Oz. Very expensive but worth every penny and yes I know I am fortunate to be able to do it.