Gransnet forums

Travel

Keeping a 2 year old amused on a long plane journey!

(34 Posts)
Grannydougs Thu 16-Jul-15 20:08:28

DH and I are travelling to Florida in August with DD, SIL and our adorable 2 year old GD. But suddenly we're all feeling very apprehensive about the journey! Last time we went, she was only 7 months and slept most of the journey but this time she's mobile - yikes!! Any suggestions re keeping her amused?

trisher Sat 18-Jul-15 22:41:50

Ask cabin crew when you board if the flight is full. If it isn't you could ask to move seats so that you have more room. An empty seat gives such a lot more space for a child to play. Most cabin crew are very sympathetic about this. Spend time at the airport walking/running around so that by the time you board she is very tired and ready for a nap.

Grannydougs Wed 22-Jul-15 19:49:39

Thanks everyone.

granjura we have a home there and really like to go as a family at very least once a year. Plus once you get there, it's an amazing place and hard to beat!
DD2 and her hubby are joining us a couple of days after we arrive so there will be 6 adults amusing GD on the way home!!
DD2 is 17 weeks pregnant with their 1st baby so next year we could travelling with a 3 year old and a 7 month old!! Hahahaha - hysterical laughter......

annsixty Wed 22-Jul-15 20:37:12

My DD took GS aged 8weeks to Antigua and they flew back and forth for 3 years with only 1 bad flight (as above) so don't panic too much. We took GD aged 12mths with her parents to visit and with 4 attentive adults she was absolutely fine and on the return flight,which is usually a night flight, we were given a 4 seat conformation 4 2 adults and her,and she slept the whole way.

gillybob Thu 30-Jul-15 12:03:32

Personally I think flying to Florida with a 2 year old and 2 sets of adults will be a doddle compared with travelling by car for 5 hours with a caravan in tow with three monkeys in the back. It'll probably be bloomin' pouring down with rain when we arrive too smile

Supprised they let "home made playdoh" through security tiggy.

Nandalot Thu 30-Jul-15 16:16:44

Sticker books are really good too. You can start the 'peel' if the child is too small to do this by his or herself. Have flown with twin grandchildren now 4, 6 times and every time have been complimented on their behaviour. How proud was I!
Loved the idea of wrapping up little bits and bobs. Will pinch that one. Thanks.

Grannydougs Wed 05-Aug-15 02:43:51

Well we made it and as gillybob suggested, it WAS a doddle. GD was an absolute angel. Sticker books, colouring books etc were a success. And well done Aer Lingus, loads of kids songs, games and programmes. The people sitting around complimented my DD and SIL on DD's amazingly good behaviour.
Now, anyone got any tips on how to keep a grumpy DH happy on the journey home?? Lol!
Ps we're having a fabulous time!!

gillybob Wed 05-Aug-15 07:32:03

That's great Grannydougs I knew it would all be okay.

Personally I would see that grumpy DH has a couple of stiff drinks (enough to send him to sleep) on the way back. Then you will enjoy a nice peaceful flight back with a wee bit of snoring without the grumpiness. Enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Pity I can't do the same with mine but he will be the one towing the caravan ! grin

Grannydougs Fri 07-Aug-15 03:01:47

Good luck gillybob!