Gransnet forums

Travel

Holiday in Sept - where to go?

(43 Posts)
granoffour Mon 31-Aug-15 07:39:51

I am thinking of taking a last-minute break in the next few weeks. This rain is really getting me down and I need some sun! Where would you recommend that's a) not too expensive b)not far to fly c) not overly touristy
Ideally like something near a beach. Am I asking for the world? grin

AlgeswifeVal Sun 27-Dec-15 16:22:23

As I write this I am sitting on my bed in the hotel in Benidorm, holidaying for the Christmas period. The weather is beautiful here. This afternoon I had a nap on a lounger around the pool. Evenings get chilly around 5:00pm. So glad I made the decision to get away for Christmas.

Marmight Sun 13-Sep-15 19:01:08

For what it's worth, I am in Cyprus right now and it's a sizzling 38 degrees sunshine

Katek Sun 13-Sep-15 18:32:28

Lol! wink

rosequartz Sun 13-Sep-15 17:34:10

Katek grin
It does get a bit like that
If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium

Katek Sun 13-Sep-15 17:15:27

Rosequartz-we were on an eastern Med cruise commencing in Palma so just lumped everything in together! You are right of course, Menorca is in the western Med.

Rosiebee Sun 13-Sep-15 14:39:54

Just at the end of 2 weeks in Crete near Chania. Weather has been very hot and sunny. First day of patchy cloud today but still very warm. Have spent blissful days reading and swimming. Exactly what we needed.

Grannynise Sun 06-Sep-15 19:59:38

Another vote for Menorca. smile

Iam64 Sat 05-Sep-15 20:30:10

I love Greece in September and I'm planning to do my bit to help the Greek economy in late September smile The weather is perfect, the sea is warm and the food suits me very nicely.

rosequartz Sat 05-Sep-15 15:56:50

Katek is that East or West Med? confused
I thought Cyprus was East Med, Menorca West Med.
(perhaps it has moved)

Katek Fri 04-Sep-15 09:39:51

We were in Eastern Med in October last year and everywhere we visited was very warm and pleasant-Menorca in particular was lovely. Only 3 hours flying time as well.

KatyK Thu 03-Sep-15 16:53:15

Thank you Eloethan I am very much a belt and braces sort of person and so will be packing a couple of cardigans smile

grannyjack Wed 02-Sep-15 15:07:46

EastEndGranny. I have a step daughter who lives in Vancouver and I have been there at various times of the year. The climate is similar to ours but one Sept I went it was glorious- another year cool & rainy. I was there in May this year and it was raining on & off so rain jackets & sweaters we're need some days.

EmilyHarburn Wed 02-Sep-15 10:40:09

My husband enjoys gardening, I have a sister in the US and a son and sister in Australia. I travel solo both on my own trip and with groups. This year I flew to Gibraltar, spent 2 nights then took ferry from Tarifa in Spain to Tangier stayed at the Continental Hotel for 2 nights and went on to Fez by train to pick up the Exodus holiday - Imperial Capitals of Morocco, only 5 of us on it, and then afterwards to stay in a Riad owned by a Swedish lady in Marrakech before returning home. I was introduced to this lady by my Belly Dancing teacher Ann Kingston who travels regularly to Morocco.

I use an agent from Travel Counsellors to help me set up my trip and when his hotels are too pricey find my own. I like to have someone in the background who can help me get home if there is an Ash Cloud or a strike etc.

If you are new to travelling alone, want an activity holiday and have sufficient cash: you will enjoy a summer holiday with cheerful people and lots of sun if go with Skyros holidays to Greece.

I have been going there since it started in the 1980's and I always come back refreshed and positive.

Eloethan Wed 02-Sep-15 10:25:13

My husband and I went to Thassos some years ago - in late April/early May I think.

Rather naively we hadn't considered how early in the year it was and although it was likely to be very warm and pleasant in the day (which it was), it would also be likely to be chilly at night (which it certainly was). We were in self-catering accommodation with the usual cold tiled floors and no heating and we used to put the oven on to warm the room up and put the spare blankets on the floor.

Anyway, despite that, we had a lovely time. We hired a car and very much enjoyed travelling round the island.

Lucky you KatyK - hope you have a great holiday.

rosequartz Tue 01-Sep-15 19:54:31

Sometimes I think I would like to negotiate Heathrow on my own; DH goes at full pelt even though we always have hours to spare.
(on the other hand, he usually takes both the hold cases while I just wheel the 2 x hand luggage + handbag, so perhaps not.)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 19:44:10

I get lost easily.

KatyK Tue 01-Sep-15 18:40:20

Thassos for us next week smile We went to Santorini last year which was absolutely stunning.

annodomini Tue 01-Sep-15 18:34:56

I have no problem travelling alone. En route to NZ some years ago, I spent a week in San Francisco and absolutely loved it. A few times I've spent time alone in Paris, seeing the sights, museums, galleries and so on. Although it's nice to have company, I do like not having to work to someone else's agenda and just 'doing my own thing'.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 17:30:31

I am not brave.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 01-Sep-15 17:29:01

I would hate to travel alone. I get confused in airports. I need to hang onto follow someone.

rosequartz Tue 01-Sep-15 17:26:23

I liked Lanzarote (no high rise, interesting landscape) and preferred it to Tenerife where we went last year, never to return we hope!

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 17:20:21

That's exactly it Roses smile

rosesarered Tue 01-Sep-15 17:20:06

We are having a week in September at an old cottage on the North Yorkshire coast........it won't be sunny!
However I can really reccommend Funchal in Madeira, stay there and explore the whole small island. or nearer to home, Nerja in Spain.

rosesarered Tue 01-Sep-15 17:17:08

Sounds very liberating Anya.

Anya Tue 01-Sep-15 16:36:41

Yes, I've travelled alone many times, the furthest to Ankora and where I very nearly missed the connecting internal flight at Istanbul airport. I visited Edinburgh recently, staying four nights at a bizarre hotel, though I did use the chance to visit the 'aunts' in Glasow one of the days.

I don't see any reason to be nervous travelling alone as there's lots of other people around and I always get there (and back) somehow. I like company usually, but do like just once a year to get away and do my own thing - go where I want, see what interests me, just wander, find somewhere to eat, get lost and found again.