Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Who Do You Think You Are ?

(29 Posts)
ninathenana Thu 28-Aug-14 22:35:17

I find this programme fascinating.
Is it just me who found tonight's programme didn't really fit the brief ?
Yes the facts of Brendan's grandfather's death were interesting but it didn't tell you about his origins. I like to hear how the different generations created the person we are seeing.

penguinpaperback Sat 30-Aug-14 09:22:07

ruby I no longer bother to watch the programme for the same reasons others have mentioned here so not sure how much was disclosed on the programme but here is what I had read beforehand.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2726790/How-Mrs-Brown-star-came-face-face-British-officer-killed-grandfather-Relative-Brendan-O-Carroll-killed-sons-members-IRA.html

Faye Sat 30-Aug-14 12:51:34

I finally, after watching numerous series of this programme, watched on iview both the interview between the director and the person concerned and also the person concerned on his/her own and found that was interesting too. Apparently the person involved does get to learn more about their ancestors but around 80% is not shown on the programme.

TerriBull Sat 30-Aug-14 18:38:59

rosequartz, I think history and the politics often have to come into play in a series such as WDYTUA. For instance in Brendan O'Carroll's case, it was probably necessary to give the viewer a synopsis of the political and social landscape of the time to understand how his grandfather's story slotted into it. I think I recall many episodes where the narrator went on to talk about the social history and Britain's foreign policy, particularly in episodes relating to those who traced ancestors overseas in former colonies.

Sometimes the focus is one generation only, I believe the first person ever featured was Bill Oddie. I didn't see it, but I gather it was about his mother only so he didn't go back very far.

I do agree that on occasions it is interesting to go back quite a long way and for some of the subjects something fascinating has been revealed on both sides. I remember Julia Sawahla had French Huguenots on her mother's side who fled persecution in France and a Palestinian grandmother on her father's side who started up and ran a hotel in Jordan. Boris Johnson's was also amazing in that respect, a Turkish great grandfather who was assassinated and something to do with a European royal house on the other side.

So many shows are formulaic and I guess WDYTUA is no exception which is why I imagine viewers get fed up after a while.