Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey - Again!

(70 Posts)
YankeeGran Wed 15-Oct-14 16:53:24

Have faithfully watched and absolutely loved Downton from the beginning...but is it me or is it all becoming silly? Lady Mary talks as if she has an itch she can't scratch (someone not posh trying to put on a posh accent?), not to mention her unbelievable dithering over the whole marriage question/triangle. Would a woman of her status risk spending a week in a hotel with someone she didn't intend to marry?

Then there's Sarah Bunting. The woman may be challenging the staus quo, but she is so rude it's hard to imagine she'd be invited back once, let alone several times more. She's so unbearable she could almost be American (I know of that which I speak!).

I think Lord Grantham, Lady Grantham and Thomas have already been covered....

rosequartz Thu 16-Oct-14 14:43:59

Strange one, that (accent); we have relatives who emigrated to Canada over 50 years ago - he still has exactly the same regional British accent, but she is very Canadian.
We also have friends and relatives who emigrated to Australia - one of DD's friends is still very 'dahling' after 20 years over there whereas others sound Australian!

Yes, Dame Maggie and Penelope make it for me too! I doubt that Miss Bunting would sit there and humiliate her host like that, although I would imagine she would tackle him quietly later. Also he is probably governor of the local school and I would have thought he would use his influence to remove her from her post in those days.

rosesarered Sat 25-Oct-14 17:00:10

Enjoyed reading all the amusing comments, and agree with most of them. Cora and her simpering smile [she needs a good slap.]Yes, why does the child have to be carried everywhere eating a biscuit?

rosequartz Sat 25-Oct-14 17:14:34

She seems to ignore the rest of her children and has an obsession with the one she is fostering (she being the woman looking after Lady Edith's child). Odd.

henetha Sat 25-Oct-14 17:28:12

I still like it, but agree that parts of it are becoming silly. But it's a bit of harmless escapism. I play Scrabble on my ds at the same time.

merlotgran Sat 25-Oct-14 18:33:33

Sending Marigold off to a school in France is a pretty daft idea. Are they just going to snatch her? The poor child's being bounced around Europe like a ping-pong ball.

That policeman is going to have his work cut out investigating a murder and a kidnapping!

Teetime Sun 26-Oct-14 09:48:05

Is it true the cast have made a record - Style section of the Sunday Times? Can we guess the tracks?

Jane10 Sun 26-Oct-14 09:57:31

Really posh people don't care! They have whatever dog breed they want. I do love Downton. My favourites are the dowager and Matthew`s nice mother. I don't understand why Carson is so mean to poor Mr Molesley. He`s an interesting character and has had a rotten time. The clothes and settings are seriously beautiful. If you freeze the TV (on account of getting something from the kitchen or similar) and go back the still image is sometimes like a lovely painting.

Marelli Sun 26-Oct-14 10:04:55

Lady Mary's accent/voice fascinates me - so much so that I miss what she's talking about sometimes! She drawls. My favourites are the butler (forgotten his name) and Lady Violet (Maggie Smith) - oh, and I do like her butler, too. Apparently the footman is ill (forgotten his name as well confused) - what's wrong with him?

Marelli Sun 26-Oct-14 10:06:32

Carson! That's the butler's name - thank you, Jane10! grin

Jane10 Sun 26-Oct-14 10:09:02

Looks like the nasty footman is into drugs bigtime. I get so fed up when my staff go that way!

nightowl Sun 26-Oct-14 10:24:11

I think he (Thomas) has been away to look for a 'cure' for his homosexuality, and that's why he's ill. Not sure whether the cure was drugs or some medieval contraption confused

Ana Sun 26-Oct-14 10:25:26

We've seen the paraphernalia in his room, though - looks as though he's injecting himself with something...

grumppa Sun 26-Oct-14 11:13:07

Is Thomas the first and previously unrecorded case of AIDS?

Marelli Sun 26-Oct-14 13:22:19

According to DH, who has sole charge of the TV mag, all will be revealed tonight. shock

Anya Sun 26-Oct-14 13:58:14

Watch out for references to Isis (the unfortunately named Labrador) not looking well. Heard rumours she's not going to survive this series as her name is not considered very PC anymore.

rosequartz Sun 26-Oct-14 20:08:44

this series - Anya do you mean there will be more?

Isis is a lovely name:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis

rosequartz Sun 26-Oct-14 20:09:44

The goddess of health, marriage and love.

We must not let it be taken over in any other way.

Anya Sun 26-Oct-14 20:36:46

I know Rose sad

rubysong Sun 26-Oct-14 22:04:47

Poor Mrs Dawe!

Kiora Sun 26-Oct-14 22:14:35

Yes poor Mrs Dawesad

Ana Sun 26-Oct-14 22:24:35

And this week the child had curly hair! And wasn't eating a biscuit!confused

tanith Mon 27-Oct-14 10:05:06

Can't see Edith lasting long in sole charge of her child she's going to want a barrage of 'helpers' soon I'm sure but now she's probably a wealthy woman I'm sure she'll manage.

Jane10 Mon 27-Oct-14 10:17:25

She`s so pathetic and irritating though! She`s not had a very happy life.

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 10:29:39

It showed who was the 'real' mother. Mrs Dawe trying to make Marigold feel safe as she left, and Edith thinking only of herself sad

You can't just take a baby from its mother and expect her to be 'jolly' Edith! She hasn't a clue.

nightowl Mon 27-Oct-14 10:32:36

Sorry it should be Mrs Drewe.