Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Broadchurch new series.

(288 Posts)
shysal Mon 05-Jan-15 22:36:52

I remember being unsure at the end of the first series, and I am already slightly confused following tonight's episode. However, I was really looking forward to it, so I hope I shall be able to keep up. I need subtitles to help me!
What did others think of it so far?

Mishap Tue 06-Jan-15 13:29:05

"NHS letter (now stolen by the man accused of abducting two girls in David Tennant's previous case, when this man broke into DT's house" - I missed that - was it in the first episode of the new series?

Mishap Tue 06-Jan-15 13:31:01

And Miller (in the ITV catchup clip - for which many thanks) said the burning boat belonged to her "ex-brother-in-law" - who he? - and what was the significance of the boat to the plot? - I cannot remember.

Thank goodness I have Gnetters to help me with all this!

Lona Tue 06-Jan-15 13:35:25

It's easier to keep up with the plot lines if you read the critiques on Digital Spy or the DM or indeed any online newspaper. They have the facts and explain the plot lines quite well I find.

Mishap Tue 06-Jan-15 13:43:49

Oh - thanks for the idea of Digital Spy - that was brilliant.

Hunt Tue 06-Jan-15 15:26:14

i just wish they would all speak more clearly. They need lessons from Derek Jacobi, Judi Dench and all the stars on the old New Tricks. No problems there!

Tegan Tue 06-Jan-15 16:27:06

I seem to recall not trusting the vicar in the last series shock. Surely, if the alleged murderer isn't guilty after all he would have protested his innocence more in the last series [not that I remember much about it]. Good to see Charlotte Rampling back on screen, though.

TerriBull Tue 06-Jan-15 16:34:01

Excellent - the makers have cleverly managed to crank up the tension right from the outset, can't wait for episode 2.

rosesarered Tue 06-Jan-15 16:34:53

Are we all losing our marbles? Was it so very complicated?We recorded it to watch as we don't like ads getting in the way of drama, so will watch it tonight.

Lilygran Tue 06-Jan-15 16:38:19

Should the family of the victim be employing the prosecuting counsel? I'm also pleased to see Charlotte Rampling!

Ana Tue 06-Jan-15 16:43:07

It seemed to me that the parents were just trying to persuade Charlotte Rampling to take the case after their lawyer had failed to convince her to come out of retirement.

Iam64 Tue 06-Jan-15 17:56:30

Tegan - I'm with you in feeling suspicious of the vicar. I suppose we're supposed to be suspicious of everyone.

It's great to see Charlotte Rampling, a great addition to a good cast. I don't think the family are employing her, wouldn't the CPS usually identify the best qualified barrister as lead prosecutor. She was suggested by the junior counsel who had acted as prosecutor until the surprise NG plea.

rosequartz Tue 06-Jan-15 18:06:01

I thought the prosecuting counsel was appointed or instructed by the CPS. The CPS may not be able to afford her services and may not appoint her !

Yes, which one is the brother-in-law who owned the boat (memory .....)?

Ana Tue 06-Jan-15 18:13:33

The CPS may not be able to afford her services and may not appoint her !

Oh, come on rosequartz, this is TV-land after all! grin If that happened, she'd no doubt take the job on for free, because of some dark secret in her past that we don't know about yet...

rosequartz Tue 06-Jan-15 18:24:53

La La Land! grin

Well, if the BBC can afford her then I suppose the CPS can ......

Iam64 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:46:26

grin

Tegan Tue 06-Jan-15 18:57:17

Problem is I'm getting fed up of watching programmes about child murders [which upset me to start off with]. At least in Game of Thrones EVERYBODY gets wiped out on a regular basis [I'm still watching it night after night...I'm now watching 'the making of' bits of the dvd]

whitewave Tue 06-Jan-15 19:20:54

wish I could watch it - it gets such a good write up envy

rosesarered Tue 06-Jan-15 20:21:51

The new series of Game of Thrones starts in Spring, hurray!

rosesarered Tue 06-Jan-15 20:23:18

Just watched Broadchurch, thought it was very good, only complicated if you hadn't seen the first series.No doubt it will get even better.

Iam64 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:06:07

I found it complicated, though I did watch the first series. I enjoy the Scandi noir series and find the way they summarise the previous episodes very reassuring!

Pittcity Wed 07-Jan-15 18:49:43

I found the music a bit too much and struggled to remember who everyone was... but now I am hooked!

Soutra Mon 12-Jan-15 22:02:10

The mystery for me is why Olivia Colman insists on wearing her Radley bag the wrong way round?

Tegan Mon 12-Jan-15 22:05:35

I noticed the Radley bag as well; something recognisable in a sea of confusion....

Mishap Mon 12-Jan-15 22:06:16

I do find it very hard to hear this programme - it is good but I have to turn it up very high.

Lilygran Mon 12-Jan-15 22:08:03

Spirals is back! Total dysfunction.