Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Older people in the media awards - vote for your favourite

(93 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Jun-15 08:59:33

We're very excited to once again be part of the Older People in the Media awards alongside Independent Age! The 2015 awards launches today and we're asking gransnetters to let us know who they think should win.
Previous winners include Anne Reid and Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.

It’s a slightly different format this year in that the awards are being run exclusively online...and exclusively on Gransnet.

And instead of just the one category, we have three for you to vote on. You don’t have to vote for all three of course, but if you add a nomination to the thread please just add a 1, 2 or 3 so we’re clear which one it’s for.

Categories are:

1) Best older person’s character in a book, film, TV or radio drama – the most memorable older, fictional character in a book, film, TV or radio programme

2) Everyday ageism hero - best marketing campaign or initiative that promotes ageing in a positive light

3) Best older person's champion in the media - high profile public figures or individuals who consistently bring an authoritative voice to the issues affecting older people.

All of the above need to have appeared/been broadcast/run etc between Fri 15 Aug 2014 and Fri 14 Aug 2015

More details here.

nlivingstone Sat 08-Aug-15 07:31:49

I have always known that Britain is not a good country to get old in for the disrespect that is shown to older people. But inspired by this discussion. KiKay I do the same when the shredies advert comes on.

trisher Sat 08-Aug-15 12:22:06

Let's turn this on its head then and award a Golden Raspberry for the worst portrayal of older people in the Media!
At number 1 just now are the Nannas in the Shreddies advert.
I'd like to nominate the advert for insurance featuring one Michael Parkinson.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 08-Aug-15 20:16:59

Whenever they want someone looking pathetic, or unnecessarily shocked, on an advert, it's always an older woman. They don't realise how it will be them soon enough. Idiotic, non-thinking, twats twits.. hmm

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Aug-15 20:49:36

I don't mind the Nannas, but detest any celebrity who uses his/her likeability factor to sell bad products to vulnerable people. Can we add them all to the Golden Raspberry list? And those charities for older folk who send us letters wanting us to leave our worldly goods to them instead of to our family. They know what they can do with their hard luck stories.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Aug-15 21:09:14

I'm struggling to think of anyone to nominate for the Media Awards in any of the categories though. I'm hoping inspiration will strike before the closing date.

MarineJ Wed 12-Aug-15 11:05:56

I'd like to nominate a marketing campaign promoting legacy giving:
www.rememberacharity.org.uk/partner-area/remember-a-charity-in-your-will-week/living-legends-documentary/

and the 3 male characters in New Tricks for the first category:
www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/11782485/New-Tricks-series-12-episode-one-review-memorable.html

SilviaBAB Thu 13-Aug-15 14:21:52

Hello,

I would like to nominate for the Everyday ageism hero awards the wonderful Bristol Babbers. They are a group of volunteer over50s who have put together a radio show on Ujima 98FM in Bristol, supported by the Bristol Ageing Better partnership.

They plan, produce, present and even manage all the techy side of things, it's really a remarkable show by older people and for older people.

I invite you all to read more about them here: www.bristolageingbetter.org.uk/the-babbers-show-featured-on-itv-news/

comptonbabe Thu 20-Aug-15 15:56:56

I nominate Beth Britton for Best older person's champion in the media. She is a high profile campaigner on issues around health, social care and specifically dementia.

She blogs fortnightly on D4Dementia, helping many families and professionals understand more about dementia and ways to support people living with the condition d4dementia.blogspot.co.uk/

She also blogs monthly on Huffington Post www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/beth-britton/

Alongside this she undertakes public speaking at conferences/events, and works with leading organisations to improve the care they provide. More information on her website: www.bethbritton.com/

Her background is as a former carer to her father, who had vascular dementia for 19 years. In my view she is a breath of fresh air, always with a listening ear and a willingness to help others. She isn't a 'celebrity', just an ordinary person who has taken her own experiences and used them to assist others in similar situations.

Cosafina Mon 24-Aug-15 14:06:42

Can I nominate Gransnet itself?

Victoria08 Mon 24-Aug-15 17:34:40

I think Maggie smith in downtown abbey deserves an award for playing a much older woman. Category 1 I think. Also the portrayal of grannies in the shreddies ads is abysmal. Angela rippon is a good example of the older woman who has dignity and poise.

scarycarey Wed 26-Aug-15 11:13:28

I am nominating David Attenborough for the best role model. Age has been no restriction on his domination of Natural History programming.

varian Thu 27-Aug-15 17:45:45

I agree David Attenborough is brilliant, but the woman I'd nominate is Shirley Williams -still going strong at 85 and a match for anyone on Any Questions.

LyndaW Fri 28-Aug-15 08:54:21

I quite like Kathy Lette for no 3. She's always talking about ageism and because she's so feisty and funny she gets her point across without sounding bitter. Here's something she wrote about Harper Lee a few months ago for example.

Granne72 Sat 29-Aug-15 17:11:34

For number 1 i would nominate Derek Jacobi for his portrayal of Alan Buttershaw in Last Tango in Halifax. A privilege to see a largely classical actor on TV.
I don't have a number 2.
Number 3 would be Esther Rantzen, her work with Childline has now been extended to The Silver Line a confidential telephone helpline for older people.

sameen Tue 01-Sep-15 12:16:01

1) Best older person’s character in a book, film, TV or radio drama – the most memorable older, fictional character in a book, film, TV or radio programme

- the character portrayed by John Hurt in the TV Series Humans was a very sensitive portrayal of someone living with the consequences of a stroke and their attempt to hold on to the memories they have lost. I didn't realise he was surviving cancer to play this role
(http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/jun/18/video-humans-season-one-episode-two-sneak-peak-william-hurt)

2) Everyday ageism hero - best marketing campaign or initiative that promotes ageing in a positive light

- The best initiative I've seen was the work by Carers UK to support elderly carers. The report Caring into Later Life was incredibly influential and well received (http://www.carersuk.org/for-professionals/policy/policy-library/caring-into-later-life)

3) Best older person's champion in the media - high profile public figures or individuals who consistently bring an authoritative voice to the issues affecting older people

- my nomination for this is Sue Lewis of the Financial Services Consumer Panel. Her work isn't always headline grabbing for herself but she is consistently pressing the case for the elderly to get the financial support and advice they need to plan for their retirement (and doesn't know when to give in)

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Nov-15 17:44:01

The votes have been counted and the results are in! We're very pleased to announce that the winners of the Older People in the Media Awards 2015 are....

1) Best older person’s character in a book, film, TV or radio drama

Frank Derrick in the book Frank Derrick's Holiday of a Lifetime by JB Morrison

2) Everyday ageism hero

L'Oreal for their Age Perfect campaign with Dame Helen Mirren

3) Best older person's champion in the media

Baroness Joan Bakewell

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all of you for casting your votes and choosing your winners for 2015!

tiredoldwoman Tue 08-Dec-15 17:59:42

Katie Morag's Granny - she can drive a tractor, knows everything , loves her family , looks good in dungarees - she's an inspiration !