Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly fans

(92 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Tue 23-Aug-16 10:58:31

I love love love this show, perks up autumnal Saturday evenings a treat! New line-up now announced, what do you fellow fans all think of them?

grannyactivist Tue 23-Aug-16 20:00:36

I don't usually know many of the 'celebrities' and what's more I don't really care who they are either. I just like that there is a show I can watch that is entertaining and has a feel-good factor. I admire all the dancers as I think it takes real guts to get up there and learn new moves every week. Eventually something of the contestants personalities shines through and I come to have favourites that I root for, but really I think it's innocent fun and I'm all for that.

Deedaa Tue 23-Aug-16 21:59:52

Where are they going to find a partner short enough for Claudia? We really need Vincent back. I thought Ed Balls was fun on Bake Off so perhaps he'll be OK on strictly./

baubles Tue 23-Aug-16 22:22:59

My friend has tickets for the filming of the launch show next week. envy

DanniRae Tue 23-Aug-16 22:32:26

A few years ago my daughter got two tickets to go to see Strictly at Wembley and she took me. (It was the year Kimberley from Girls Aloud was on it). I enjoyed it so much - such an amazing atmosphere. She just put her name on the bbc website and was lucky enough to be selected!! I will be eternally glad about that!! smilesmile

Swanny Tue 23-Aug-16 22:56:39

Strictly is one of the few 'must watch' programmes on my TV and I'm sad my mum died before it started as she would have absolutely adored it. To my mind the professionals deserve massive praise as they often have to work so hard to get anything out of their celebs. OK, they get paid for it but also have to put up with (IMO) some right pillocks and divas.

I will miss Len when he goes as he seems to be the only judge on the show who doesn't project an alter ego. I don't think Anton du Beke would be the best replacement but wouldn't be surprised if he leaves if he doesn't get the job. If that happens it could be the end of Strictly sad Maybe Brendan ...? Now that would produce some fireworks on the panel grin

Nannylovesshopping Wed 24-Aug-16 08:22:31

I think Ian Waite (he gets his wand out with Zoe Ball on mid week catchup) he is funny, kind and very knowledgable and imo would make a great judge when Len goes. Hmmm maybe could have put that differently, but if you watch Zoe's show you will know what I meangrin

Teetime Wed 24-Aug-16 09:09:04

I'll watch it I suppose at Saturday night TV is so dire but we record it and whizz through the chatting/what did they eat for breakfast/I'm on a journey bits.

Theoddbird Wed 24-Aug-16 10:01:16

So many of them I have never heard of...

Anniebach Wed 24-Aug-16 10:03:33

Yes Ian or what about Karen ?

Craftycat Wed 24-Aug-16 10:31:01

I have only heard of 7 of them so difficult to say if it is a good line up or not. I thought Louise Rednapp was a dancer- I remember her as a judge on a dance show recently anyway.
I am so glad Len is retiring & Anton taking over. I find Len smutty & moody. Anton has a lot of humour & will be great. I shall miss his dancing though-so maybe he can still do group dances?ive him a good partner this year please.
It's about time they gat Marian Keyes on-plus Tess & Claudia shoud have a go sometime too!

Spindrift Wed 24-Aug-16 10:57:13

Just wondering who they have for the fall guy & laughing stock this time, they have one in each show, which I think is unfair as they all do their best

vincent19 Wed 24-Aug-16 10:59:37

So excited it's back the best Saturday night viewing by a long run, X factor also back this week and I just can't stand the loud noise from the trailers let alone sitting watching it no thank you strictly every time ??

oznan Wed 24-Aug-16 11:26:44

I only recognise about half of the celebrities but that doesn't really matter;for me,the show is about the dancing,hard work,glitz and glamour and personalities.I love the professionals and have nothing but respect for the amount of work they put into making the show a must-watch,including all the "back-room" workers in production,costume,etc..
I am not a telly addict and really don't watch it all that much but Strictly is an exception.Couch potato on Saturday evenings for the duration!

kittylester Wed 24-Aug-16 11:31:22

Where have they announced that Aston is taking over?

Izabella Wed 24-Aug-16 11:35:37

Never seen this but it certainly seems to be popular.

JessM Wed 24-Aug-16 11:56:40

We can watch it now that Brucie is well and truly retired!! smile
Greg Rutherford may be worth a fiver each way. Very strong and his life for years has involved making those little physical adjustments that make all the difference in long jump. Knows how to be coached. Should be light on his feet too. smile But has he got a sense of rhythm?
I always remember Pendleton who was a demon on a bike but hopeless at dancing. I will also recall fondly the the Lewis Smith final which was the most erotic dance that Strictly have ever come up with (IMO of course smile )

Lupatria Wed 24-Aug-16 12:23:08

i'm able to watch strictly now that brucie has retired - i'm sorry to any fans but he's a pain!
i don't recognise many of this year's line up but i'll watch it anyway as i love watching the improvements week by week.
i usually record the programme and watch it on sunday whizzing through the bits i don't like [sorry it's usually the guest artiste] and keep clear of any news which might tell me who's gone and who's stayed.
len is a delight and i always take more notice of what he says about performance than any of the other judges - he always speaks his mind and he's got so much experience.
looking forward to watching this year's series - must remember to put the programme on the planner in my sky box.

Cagsy Wed 24-Aug-16 12:46:30

Oh no, we go away on 3rd September,have to make sure we 'series record' before we go - LOVE Strictly

skate Wed 24-Aug-16 12:51:13

It would be really good if just for once we could have a level playing field and a bunch of 'celebrities' who were genuine amateurs. Every year we have stage school types who have had obvious dance training competing against those who have none. "Oh" they go (when found out) "but I've never done ballroom". Maybe not, but basic dance training gives body control, directional and spatial awareness, not to mention musicality, which are HUGE advantages compared to the totally untrained. As an ex professional dancer myself, I can spot those who've had training a mile off, and it makes me very cross!

Jane10 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:33:53

I agree Skate. I'm sick of them including trained dancers.
I used to respect Lens judgment but he has become too full of himself and, as a previous poster said, too smutty and moody. Anton would be a great replacement but I'd miss his dancing.

Shazmo24 Wed 24-Aug-16 13:39:27

Great line up...excitee!

henetha Wed 24-Aug-16 13:46:25

I think the line up seems great, but I don't really care who they are because it is such a brilliant feel-good show in every way and I love it!
Strictly for ever!

oldgoose Wed 24-Aug-16 17:31:59

I do enjoy Strictly and this time, as other times, there are people I have never heard of.
I would like to see the likes of Dame Judi Dench, Peter Kay, Colin Firth and Julie Walters having a go, but I guess that will never happen.

pensionpat Wed 24-Aug-16 18:14:29

I know it's cheesy. I know there is a formula. There is always a soap star, a sports person or two, a joke, an older woman. Someone who needs to lose weight, and does. The partnerships are contrived. No one believes that it is live on a Sunday. I know everyone is on a journey. I could predict what they say on It Takes Two (watch that as well) BUT I LOVE IT

alig99 Wed 24-Aug-16 23:34:38

love SCD and looking forward to the new series. I'm glad Bruce has gone and I definitely think its time for Len to go. I felt he was becoming too grumpy and bias, much prefer Craig's honesty. The one thing I wish would change the most is the final voting, I am sick of the best dancer not winning with what my OH says is the 'old granny' voting that goes on where the male star wins despite them clearly being not so good as the girl dancer they are competing against, I feel as frustrated as the judges have with the scoring over the past few years. I vowed last year to watch everything bar the final this year...we will just have to see if I am strong enough to not watch it!