Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Old movies

(70 Posts)
Jayh Mon 29-Aug-16 17:41:51

Old black and white movies are my guilty pleasure. I have just watched 'Now, Voyager' starring Bette Davies and even though I have seen it many times over the years it still reduces me to tears. Two people, much in love, who can't be together because of the strict moral code of the time. It wouldn't happen today.
I like these old movies for the social history as much as anything else. Anyone else a fan?

wot Wed 31-Aug-16 20:22:58

I used to go to a cinema in Brighton which would let you in to see an x rated and then the next week I would get in for kids rate!! Anyway, I always remember a film called "Bitter Harvest", which was very good. A very young John Hurt was in it. I just looked on Amazon and the price is £99!

wot Wed 31-Aug-16 20:24:53

I was 14. Also saw "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane". I really like Joan Crawford films

Bijou Wed 31-Aug-16 20:27:30

I have been a movie fan since my dad took me to the cinema when I was three. Silent films. So I cannot enumerate the films I have watched and enjoyed during my life time. In the old days there were no sex scenes or swearing. I had to stop watching a modern film the other evening because of the frequent use of the F word. There is often an old movie on BBC 2 early on Saturday mornings which I record. Last Saturday Mr Lucky with one of my favourite actors, Cary Grant.

wot Wed 31-Aug-16 20:29:15

You can get Talking Pictures on freeveiw number081 channel.

yattypung Thu 01-Sep-16 04:35:55

I can't stand old black and white movies....nobody talks like they do in them, but my DH loves them. I just go and watch telly in another room when he puts one on.

LullyDully Thu 01-Sep-16 08:24:29

Love a good black and white film. The Night of the Hunter is one of my favourites with a very sinister Robert Mitcham chasing two children round the a Deep south. Creepy.

Hunt Thu 01-Sep-16 09:32:10

The first film I saw was 'Heidi'with Shirley Temple. My favourite was 'The Seventh Veil' with Anne Todd and James Mason .... we even called our daughter Francesca!!

TriciaF Thu 01-Sep-16 10:00:59

What about Lassie Come Home (if it hasn't already been mentioned.)I sometimes watch bits of it on youtube and a lump always come to my throat .
Also National Velvet, another early Elizabeth Taylor film.

annodomini Thu 01-Sep-16 10:26:38

Strangely, I thought I remembered National Velvet as a black and white film, but when I looked it up on Wiki, it turns out to have been technicolor. Do you remember 'Old Yeller'? Oh, what a weepie!

Jayh Thu 01-Sep-16 13:01:41

I saw a film as a child and I think it was called ' The Day They Gave Babies Away'
It was about a boy finding homes for his young siblings after they were orphaned.
It was a real weepy and I wish I could remember more about it.

Tegan Thu 01-Sep-16 13:15:34

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court. I also thought National Velvet was black and white; ditto The Jungle Book [my favourite film ever; the Sabu version] but, of course we only saw then in black and white when we were children didn't we.I've got Old Yeller on dvd somewhere; I bought it because I've never seen it..must find it to watch#hankiesattheready I loved all the Kevin Corcoran [sp]films, especially Savage Sam.

Tegan Thu 01-Sep-16 13:18:17

Oh, and The Quiet Man; although not very 'correct' in this day and age alas. The black and white Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim will always be the best version imo.

lindanneil123 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:16:07

I loved all the films set in the sixties like Saturday night Sunday morning and a taste of honey and the family way

Greyduster Thu 01-Sep-16 17:04:35

Loved The Quiet Man; all John Ford films in fact, and he seemed to have the same core of usual suspects in many of them. John Wayne, of course, Ward Bond, Hank Worden, Harry Carey Junior, Ken Curtis, Hank Worden, Mildred Natwick, Victor McLagen; you couldn't have a John Ford cavalry western without them. Great stuff.

Mildred Fri 02-Sep-16 16:23:52

Nobody has mentioned the Ealing comedies Lavender Hill Mob, Lady Killers, Terry-Thomas made a few good films too. My Dad was in the Navy in WW2 and we watched Sink the Bismark and many other war films. When you watch you see kitchens in the films with just a sink, cooker and table. No parking meters or yellow lines on the roads. Men and women wearing hats. Social history really but part of our lives too. Going to the cinema then was glamorous red carpet/crystal lights.

Greyduster Fri 02-Sep-16 17:22:22

What about "A Night to Remember" - the first Titanic film. That film - and reading about the tragedy in later years - haunted me so much that I couldn't bring myself to watch the later Winslet/Di Caprio version. I must be the only person in the country not to have watched it!

Tegan Fri 02-Sep-16 17:32:14

After seeing Sink the Bismark [at the cinema?] I can remember me and my friend acting it out using a sort of telephone exchange toy that I had. The war still seemed very close and part of our lives back then. I so wish I'd asked my mum more about those years sad.

Falconbird Sat 10-Sep-16 20:48:46

I caught the last ten minutes of Sink The Bismark. I've read the book a few times and love it. As you say Tegan it all seemed very recent to us back then. My uncle was in the navy and my dad was in North Africa. I also watched the film in the cinema.

Daisyanswerdo Sun 11-Sep-16 17:50:26

Blithe Spirit, yes, for Margaret Rutherford and also for Kay Hammond as Elvira - such a wonderful voice. I also love Les Enfants du Paradis - Jean-Louis Barrault.