Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Marlow Murder Club.

(40 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 07-Mar-24 20:33:17

Anyone watching this, Drama Channel, Part 2 on now.

I haven’t read this, the first book, but have read ‘Death Comes To Marlow’ the second in the series,

Starring Samantha Bond as a busybody amateur murder investigator, accompanied by dog walker Susie and vicar’s wife Becks.

Bit like ‘The Thursday Murder Club’.

Far fetched, whimsical, beautiful properties in Bucks.

Incidentally, Susie is now black, don’t think she was in the book, not that it matters of course.

Oldbat1 Thu 07-Mar-24 21:26:22

Yes we are watching it. Enjoying it.

Maggymay Thu 07-Mar-24 21:43:22

Just watched the first episode we both enjoyed it.

Curlywhirly Thu 07-Mar-24 21:48:45

I watched the 1st episode; found it really corny - as if a member of the public would go around interviewing witnesses and they would willingly tell all! Having said that, it is set in beautiful surroundings, well acted and easy viewing.

Visgir1 Thu 07-Mar-24 22:04:40

It's a cosy murder, it's one of those programs you don't need to think about much.
We have enjoyed it but the adverts drove us nuts.

Esmay Fri 08-Mar-24 08:37:11

I love the location , where the fortunate author lives .
After looking forward to watching it - I was hugely disappointed .
It didn't do justice to the actresses .
The murderer could have killed Samantha Bond several times over whilst her rescuers cut a bell rope and pulled a fallen tree off the road .
I'd forgotten what a lovely voice she has .
Maybe , the book is better .

Harris27 Fri 08-Mar-24 08:41:16

Lovely evening viewing like midsummer or death in paradise. Love cosy crime viewing hit for me!

annsixty Fri 08-Mar-24 08:44:53

I have only watched the first episode but will catch-up on the second this evening.
Lightweight but watchable, however in a two hour programme the actual content , taking out advert time must be about an hour and a half.

NotAGran55 Fri 08-Mar-24 08:46:02

I loved the first two books but not the third one so much. I’m a very frequent visitor to Marlow and know the lovely town very well. I’m not sure that I will watch the program as I’m bound to be disappointed.

annsixty Fri 08-Mar-24 08:46:26

Harris It is written by the same person as Death in Paradise but not as good in my opinion.

TerriBull Fri 08-Mar-24 09:21:17

I imagine, as others have described it's lightweight stuff, but I'll watch it just to see Marlow if for no other reason. The most attractive town in Bucks imo, with apologies to my son who lives in Bucks, but not in Marlow!

Blinko Fri 08-Mar-24 09:34:00

Four hours was far too long. It became boring as well as completely unrealistic. Weak.

Cossy Fri 08-Mar-24 09:38:20

I’m looking forward to watching it. It’s nice to watch lightweight entertainment and get away from all our woes!

LadyGracie Fri 08-Mar-24 10:05:49

It’s unbelievable but provides some light relief. There is very little to watch on the television these days.

Unless any of you can tell me anything different, please.

NanKate Fri 08-Mar-24 14:55:21

Loved both episodes. Gentle viewing.

I’m a Marlow resident. I know 95% percent of the places featured. The one they called the Rowing Club is where we had our covid vaccinations 😀

Deedaa Fri 08-Mar-24 20:06:30

It was a fun watch but I think it would have been better in 4 hour long episodes. 2 hours is quite a chunk of the evening to tie up.

AreWeThereYet Fri 08-Mar-24 20:15:08

Gave up half way through the second part and wound to the end to see what happened 😞 Love the Marlow scenery though, made us decide it was time to visit again.

LadyGracie Sun 10-Mar-24 07:47:21

I stuck with it, it passed the time but was a bit like a 'Janet and John' story.

TerriBull Sun 10-Mar-24 07:53:24

Half way through, non demanding viewing which is fine sometimes. The star of the show, is in the title, Marlow, gorgeously scenic.

Aveline Sun 10-Mar-24 08:00:07

I looked forward to watching this but was very disappointed. It was vaguely reminiscent of Midsummer Murders. I gave up on it after half an hour.

Clawdy Sun 10-Mar-24 08:46:50

I'd read the book but couldn't remember the ending, so really enjoyed it! I agree it was a bit too long though.

Mollygo Sun 10-Mar-24 09:17:03

I unintentionally started another thread about this. If it doesn’t get incorporated, these are the comments so far.
Mollygo

I settled down to watch this-OK so far, though I don’t think I’d want to swim naked in a river at 77, like Mrs Potts.

It seemed quite familiar, and easy to follow, then I realised I’d bought a 99p copy on Kindle, and had read the first couple of chapters on the look inside offer.
Anyone tried it?

Today 00:39 Nandalot

We watched it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had read the book, a while ago, which I also enjoyed, but fortunately can’t seem to remember plots after a while so did not remember the ending until about 15 mins from end.
I thought Samantha Bond was very good, in a bit of a different role for her.

Today 04:22 PamQS

I found the first episode bit long at 2 hours, I also found the vicar’s wife wafting around doing odd jobs in the parish a bit irritating - most vicar’s wives have to work nowadays!

All I could think of when Mrs Potts was skinny-dipping in the river was the horrible pollution that rivers have been suffering in the past few years, rather her than me! She was certainly remarkably fit for her age, getting around by punt must take some muscular strength!

Today 06:04 grandMattie

I watched it and enjoyed it. Suspension of disbelief is usually required in these things….
Having been written by the “Death in Paradise” crew, I knew it would be easy to follow and not menacing and soon. I don’t normally like whodunnits.

Today 07:36 teabagwoman

Suspension of belief definitely required but an enjoyable watch though I prefer the books, but then I usually do.

Today 07:42 Calendargirl

Another thread on this, same heading.

Today 07:59 BlueBelle

Can you ask HQ to incorporate yours Molly as there’s one already running.

Today 09:03 Mollygo

Yes I’ll ask. I did look to see if there was another thread, But obviously, I didn’t look hard enough at stupid o’clock this morning.

Nandalot Sun 10-Mar-24 11:28:18

I am surprised more people didn’t like it. We watched it on a fire stick and each episode was only 90 mins only about 2 ads in the whole thing. I agree the last tree bit and Mrs Potts being held captive dragged but apart from that much better than say Madame Blanc.

greenlady102 Sun 10-Mar-24 11:31:37

Deedaa

It was a fun watch but I think it would have been better in 4 hour long episodes. 2 hours is quite a chunk of the evening to tie up.

Recird it and watch it in the chunk length of your choice

DamaskRose Sun 10-Mar-24 18:13:53

Not gripping viewing even for a cosy murder but we enjoyed it enough to watch till the end and thought that was quite clever apart from the tree nonsense!