Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Most annoying TV presenter?

(159 Posts)
shysal Tue 18-Aug-15 13:19:29

I recorded a few of ITV daytime's 'Guess this House' for 'rainy day' watching. As well as the non-grammatical title, Saira Khan the presenter is so intense, false and loud that I have no desire to watch more than the first episode, so have deleted the rest. As a previous Apprentice contestant, she is meant to be intelligent, but even her pronunciation of (H)aitch irritates me.
Who would you choose as your most annoying presenter?

ninathenana Tue 18-Aug-15 13:40:53

Nobody springs to mind. But I'm sure I will agree with some others suggestions smile

jollyg Tue 18-Aug-15 13:58:18

ROBERT PESTON......... he of the hair and ums and ahs.

Supposed to be an economist, as with all BBC he is 'In with the in crowd'

kittylester Tue 18-Aug-15 14:00:58

I like Robert Peston! Naga Munchetty (sp) gets on my nerves.

annsixty Tue 18-Aug-15 14:10:32

While I think people dislike Robert Peston for his way of speaking I believe he had a speech impediment, could have been a stammer, and he has had treatment which leaves him with a sing-song effect, so good luck to him for overcoming it.

Teetime Tue 18-Aug-15 15:19:54

JONTHAN ROSS!!!!

Steph - finance person on BBC Breakfast- not the accent I stress but the raw tone of her voice and her annoying habit of making inane jokes.

rubylady Tue 18-Aug-15 19:06:44

Chris Tarrant - he sounds like he's the plumber who has come round to give you a quote with the amount of sucking air over his teeth! Not on as much now, I know, but I was still annoyed the other day watching re-runs of Millionaire on Challenge.

Jomarie Tue 18-Aug-15 19:19:02

I'm with you Teetime. Never have been able to abide him and final nail in coffin was his stupid behaviour with Russell Brand. If he comes on TV or radio (filling in for someone on holiday usually) I just turn him off. Makes me feel so much better!!

Jeremy Clarkson annoys me too - in fact there are quite a few when I come to think about. hmm

Anne58 Tue 18-Aug-15 19:30:59

I have noticed that Robert Preston's speech thing seems much better when he is reading something prepared, it is in interview situations that that the odd gaps and odd sounds are more noticeable.

HildaW Tue 18-Aug-15 20:13:08

Yes, Robert Peston has developed his rather mannered form of speech to cope with a very severe stammer....takes a lot of bottle to go for a career in tv with a speech problem. I used to die every time it was my turn to read allowed in school....put me off public speaking. However, if I can relax and act the idiot I do manage a few lines in our annual Panto.

We've gone off Len Goodwin, which will be a trail watching Strictly. He seemed to stay within the bounds of decency in earlier series but his course side shows a bit too often for DH and I of late.

Naga Mulchety has a slightly strident tone but I noticed she can smooth it down a lot...saw a trailer for her taking over some morning discussion programme after Breakfast, and its either me getting more tolerant or her mellowing when she has a bit more time to express herself.

rosequartz Tue 18-Aug-15 20:31:11

Robert Peston fascinates me - in fact I can never remember anything he has said because I am concentrating on how he looks and speaks!

Can't stand Jonathan Woss, don't watch Strictly any more because Ten from Len has become annoying, as is Bruno - Craig got better as they became worse.

I think Steph accentuates her accent.

I was never keen on Melvyn Bragg, but recently watched a programme about him and he came across as a lovely man who still goes back to his roots occasionally.

Jane10 Tue 18-Aug-15 20:34:32

Has he got a severe stammer? He doesn't sound like that to me. No sign of syllable timing or block modification. He just sounds emphatic and enthusiastic. His hair is awful. I took against him at the time of the economic downturn: he seemed to relish giving us bad news every night.

POGS Tue 18-Aug-15 21:55:18

Not a presenter but I can't watch CJ from Eggheads without wanting to put my foot through the tele.

He had his own quiz show and I simply couldn't watch it.

Indinana Tue 18-Aug-15 22:17:42

Agree totally POGS, can't abide CJ. Also dislike Alexander Armstrong intensely since he's been on Pointless. I used to like him as a comedic actor and I really enjoyed his Who Do You Think You Are? episode. But he's utterly lost his appeal, with his formulaic presentation of Pointless and his generally uninterested responses to anything the contestants say. "And what do you do?" "I'm a nuclear physicist and part-time goatherd" "Excellent!". On the occasions that he does show interest, it's more about what he can say to get a laugh from the audience. Far too egotistical for my liking.

And don't get me started on Robert Preston...

tinfar Tue 18-Aug-15 22:48:46

Charlie Stayt especially when he is interviewing someone poor mans John Humphreys or unless it's a film star

POGS Tue 18-Aug-15 23:47:19

Bill Turnbull. BBC Breakfast.

ninathenana Wed 19-Aug-15 00:04:55

Aah, I really like Bill Turnbull smile

I agree with those who don't like CJ he's the reason I don't watch Eggheads.

kittylester Wed 19-Aug-15 07:05:11

I love both Bill Turnbull and Charlie Stayt!

shysal Wed 19-Aug-15 08:49:53

rubylady, I would advise you never to shop in Asda in the mornings. Chris Tarrant hosts the music programme that they play!

daffydil Wed 19-Aug-15 09:33:25

Anyone who when speaking drops the letter 't' and uses a glottal stop as in chari'y unless it is part of a regional accent, particularly politicians (Tony Blair and Ed Miliband both did it) and seem to think it will impress us and makes them sound like one of the people which is downright patronising.

daffydil Wed 19-Aug-15 10:26:49

Sorry we were supposed to be talking about TVpresenters. I have gone off the original subject.

Bellanonna Wed 19-Aug-15 10:51:23

So agree about Armstrong and his insincere 'excellent' to everything. CJ also annoying esp when a challenger gets it wrong and he frowns and shakes his head violently to let us all know he knows the right answer, tho once he did that and the challenger was right. grin. Oh, I like Chris Tarrant, and Breakfast Bill too. Don't like Jo Brand, can barely watch her

Bellanonna Wed 19-Aug-15 10:52:30

daffy I heard Prince William say Ga'wick airport. Maybe it's a young thing?

Anniebach Wed 19-Aug-15 10:59:41

Kay Burley, Adam Bolton, Ross, Clarkson, most of the women on Victoria Darbyshire - why must they stride on set , Tarrent, and many more

HildaW Wed 19-Aug-15 11:56:41

Funnily enough I used to think Alexander Armstrong seemed a bit insincere.....but then I just accepted it for what it was ....a tightly scripted format that has its own camp charm...once I stopped reading too much into his stock responses I found I just enjoyed it for what it was, a good natured quiz with a modest prize and each contestant treated kindly and respectfully.
I sometimes think we over think some of these 'easy watching' programmes......but must admit I cannot abide Egg heads...a very self satisfied bunch who lack tolerance for other 'lesser' mortals.

Just a thought.....there is a bit of a discussion in some areas about Paxman and University Challenge....is he more condescending to the 'Red Brick and Ex Poly' Universities??? Discus......