Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Netflix

(38 Posts)
Felix2007 Tue 19-Apr-16 18:00:28

I have just signed up for a month's free trial with Netflix, (persuaded by my daughter) but can't really find anything worth watching. Most of it is films I have already seen, violent and rubbishy juvenile action movies, or long TV series. Can anyone recommend something that is worth watching please?

whitewave Tue 19-Apr-16 18:19:22

I was the same. I think it is something to do with lowest common denominator. I've given up.

pensionpat Tue 19-Apr-16 18:22:46

You can waste a lot if time trawling through Netflix. A bit like walking up and down the aisles at Blockbuster. And that is because there is something for everyone. I love box sets like House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, House. I also have been able to catch up things I missed such as Luther, Line of Duty. The films are disappointing, but we like to re-watch favourites and have found films that we just give a try. Good trawling!

suzied Tue 19-Apr-16 19:01:25

Ooh I love Netflix, House of Cards with Kevin Spacey brilliant, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Good Wife, Suits, get a list of favourites and give them a go! Yes they are long series, but once you are hooked you are never short of anything to watch.

suzied Tue 19-Apr-16 19:01:47

Orange is the New Black also really good.

Grannyknot Tue 19-Apr-16 19:24:07

I love Netflix. Google "What's new on Netflix?" Or "Top shows on Netflix" and you'll be off.

My daughter pays for Netflix for the whole family (a family subscription) and set us all up with accounts grin. It's brilliant.

I'm watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 2 at the moment.

Blackfish is the one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. I mean, whatever made anyone think it was a good idea to keep orcas in captivity? sad (It's about Seaworld).

hildajenniJ Tue 19-Apr-16 20:05:00

I love Netflix too. I've just watched a really interesting series called "Cooked" with Michael Pollan, it's well worth a look. I like Sci-fi and fantasy series too, and am well into Grimm. You really have to trawl your way through the movies to find anything worth watching, but there are some gems if you're willing to give them a go.

petra Wed 20-Apr-16 10:45:43

I love Netflix. But as some have said you have to trawl through stuff.
I don't know what your sense of humour is, but I think ' The unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is hilarious.
Agree about the documentary on Seaworld, shocking. Another funny series (British) is 'Still game' very funny.

annsixty Wed 20-Apr-16 10:52:31

petra I was recently introduced to Still game and I loved it. After watching all the episodes on Netflix I found I was able to watch the last 2 episodes on u-tube.

annsixty Wed 20-Apr-16 10:53:24

Sorry meant series not episodes.

Nana3 Wed 20-Apr-16 17:49:06

I search for an actor I like and the films they have with him/her in are displayed.

Felix2007 Wed 20-Apr-16 17:57:16

Thanks for this great response! There are certainly some good tips here and I will start trawling.

Grannyknot Wed 20-Apr-16 22:29:32

Master of None is also very funny. It's premise is about a young Indian actor who can't find work because he refuses to do an Indian accent (think Raj in The Big Bang).

I see Top of the Lake is on there too, it's very good.

I enjoyed What We Did on Our Holiday (film) too. Can't think of other films but will post them when I remember.

I also like Still Game.

BillieW Thu 21-Apr-16 19:33:05

My daughter recommended True Detective, haven't watched it yet but it is on our list. The other one was 'the making of a murderer', that is a true story in America, but disturbing, because it isn't fiction.

NonnaAnnie Fri 22-Apr-16 09:58:23

Love Netflix.........but my pet hate is the way we in the UK are calling a 'series' a 'season'.

Grrrrr, we are NOT American!

mischief Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:12

You can dip in amd out of Netflix by cancelling your membership when there's nothing new you want to watch, then signing up again when there is.

My Favourites List:
House of Cards
Suits
The Good Wife
Breaking Bad

Amazon Prime is also a good one to sign up to, they have different things like the Viking series, which is great. They also fund a lot of good series which are only on Prime. Also, if you buy from Amazon you can get free next delivery with Prime.

Happy watching.

ClaraB Fri 22-Apr-16 10:10:27

We got rid of Sky, didn't miss it at all, saved a lot of money and signed up to Netflix a year ago which we love. Our son also logs on so it's really good value.
We are currently wading through Breaking Bad, have watched all of Luther and I've just discovered Orange is the new Black. We're not avid film watchers but last weekend we did enjoy Still Alice, although it was very sad.

Nvella Fri 22-Apr-16 10:19:18

Another vote for Orange is the New Black

Mommaberyl1 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:19:47

Sons of Anarchy is a must. The first four episodes are a little slow but stick with it. My whole family have watched it and have been hooked!!!

Voni Fri 22-Apr-16 10:22:47

Suits is the best, closely followed by
House of cards
, orange is the new black

Kayteeb53 Fri 22-Apr-16 10:38:43

I have to confess to loving the Stargate series, all of them! Have ploughed through Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe - not everyone's cup of tea but I do like odd programmes!

BRedhead59 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:21:01

Goodwife

Granspammy Fri 22-Apr-16 11:31:23

Definatly think you should watch prison break or pretty little liars it's a great watch !! confused

annodomini Fri 22-Apr-16 12:05:26

And you try to kid us that you're taking A-level English? Definitely?

SuzieG Fri 22-Apr-16 12:38:28

Thanks for the suggestions. We transferred from Lovefilm and have been watching Better Call Saul and House of Cards