Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Judi Dench gets a tattoo!

(63 Posts)
RedBus Fri 01-Jul-16 08:31:10

Judi Dench has apparently got her first tattoo at the age of 81! Not sure I could be that brave grin

www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/dame-judi-dench-gets-first-ever-tattoo-to-mark-her-81st-birthday-a3284491.html

whitewave Fri 01-Jul-16 08:56:54

I think as you get older you do well to remember that! How many do you have left?

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 08:59:28

I'm not sure its brave although it does sound painful. Getting older wouldn't change my view I don't like them if I fancied something wild and exciting I would do it through clothes. Love Lily Tomlins outfits on Frankie and Grace on Netflix - designer hippy/boho with fabulous jewellery.

RedBus Fri 01-Jul-16 09:12:10

Didn't Dimbleby do something similar a year or two ago?

RedBus Fri 01-Jul-16 09:13:45

Article says Judi had 'carpe diem' tattooed on her wrist. Can't remember what Dimbleby had?

Teetime I agree, I've never been a fan of tattoos, or needles in general for that matter.

breeze Fri 01-Jul-16 10:28:30

The little Minx! Personally don't like them, as like a lot of fashions, what you like one year, the next it's 'What was I thinking' so anything permanent is a mistake in my view. Get a temporary one if you fancy some body art. I think you can get very temporary or ones that last about 6 months.

POGS Fri 01-Jul-16 11:44:53

Oh gawd I hope she doesn't look at Gransnet and the comments about people with tattoos.!

Has anybody watched the t.v program Tattoo Fixers? Makes me smile what some people do , usually when drunk.

ninathenana Fri 01-Jul-16 13:00:22

Wish I could do a link on my phone to some of the amazing art work I've seen recently on FB on a Disney theme. Brilliant but not something anyone should have inked on themselves.
I don't mind a small tasteful inking not that I have any.

Jane10 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:59:33

I have a Scorpio tattooed on my bottom -a sting in my tail? I've found that as I put on weight it looks like a lobster. My aim now is to make it look like an ant!

Ana Fri 01-Jul-16 17:04:55

I think if you're going to get one, 81 is a good enough age! Nothing worse, to my mind, than middle-aged to elderly folk with ancient, faded tattoos going wrinkly and flabby along with the rest of their bodies...

NanaandGrampy Fri 01-Jul-16 17:38:31

I'm not a fan of tattoos so will stick with my trusty sharpie marker if I feel the need to write anything on myself ;-)

PS Jane I nearly spilt my coffee reading your post - it did make me chuckle.

harrigran Fri 01-Jul-16 18:20:19

I thought I was going to read that she had DNR as a tattoo shock

Luckylegs9 Fri 01-Jul-16 18:32:45

Think tattoos are dreadful, face piercing worse though. Don't know why Judy felt the need, but she's old enough to know what she is doing. DNR understandable though.

Lupatria Fri 01-Jul-16 19:21:24

i've got two tattoos which i "got" in my 40s. i'm almost 70 now and don't regret either of them. and neither of them caused any pain which was good considering one was on my ankle bone where it's supposed to be very painful [or perhaps i've got a high pain threshold].
in fact, i'm thinking of another one - but not sure what i want or where to have it.
if i do get another tattoo i won't regret it either.

Shelagh6 Fri 01-Jul-16 19:41:27

IT would encourage my young! Why would I do that - I disapprove.....

Deedaa Fri 01-Jul-16 20:22:35

I do rather hanker after a small one, although DH is appalled at the idea. Just something small in a place where it waon't sag. I think Judi's sounds great. David Dimbleby's was a scorpion.

Albangirl14 Sat 02-Jul-16 09:23:53

I agree with Shelagh6 I love Judy but loathe Tattoos. My children always said I would prefer them to come home pregnant than with a tatto.

janeayressister Sat 02-Jul-16 09:27:04

Nooooo what was she thinking? Give me a diamond any day. I am not a fan of hers anyway as I think she just plays herself in every film.
Why do we have to have this hyped up boring National treasure stuff, she and Maggie Smith are the same in every movie.
Meryl Streep is different. I am not a fan of hers either but she is a much better film actress. Note I say Film Actress, before I get flamed.
I wasn't a fan of Lawrence Oliver either. Peter Sellars took the P* beautifully.
I am not a fan of people who don't let their GC call them Grannie either. My GC call me by my first name they say proudly......what ! ...grow up.
I don't know why I am ranting as I don't really care what Judi Dench does......

Tessa101 Sat 02-Jul-16 09:33:23

I turned 60 at end of May and decided I wanted a tiny tattoo on my wrist or foot haven't decided where yet. When I called tattoo parlour to ask price and advise etc, he said is this a tick the box tattoo I said "yes" he said we do lots of those. So us elders are not alone.If and when I manage to master posting pictures on her I will show you all when I eventually get it done.

moxeyns Sat 02-Jul-16 09:35:57

I have "carpe diem" on a ring, far fewer regret opportunities :P

kathcraigs Sat 02-Jul-16 09:40:13

l'm amused and bemused at the 'shock horror' on here because an 81 year old woman has a bit of ink on her skin. lt's her body - why does it bother everyone so much? lt genuinely confounds me. lf she'd had her eyeballs tattooed or a full face, l could understand it. lt's a very small discreet tattoo.
The lady can do what she likes. Especially at 81 years old. lf only someone (who we don't even know!) having a tattoo was all everyone had to fret or work themselves into a lather over.

ellarussell Sat 02-Jul-16 09:44:55

I would love to have one, but only very small and discreet stating something I really believe in. However, I am too cowardly. If I could have it done under general anaesthetic I would!

janeayressister Sat 02-Jul-16 09:46:58

Well, it's not much of a lather really is it? I am sitting in the shade of 30 degrees just amusing myself.
I don't think anyone cares much what Judi does.

kathcraigs Sat 02-Jul-16 09:49:17

l have 'Memento Mori' on my left wrist. lt translates roughly as 'remember death'. l had it done after l survived a life threatening illness six years ago. And every morning when l see it, it reminds me how fragile our mortality is and how bloody lucky l am to have woken up to live another day.
Just because people choose to have ink tattooed into their epidermis doesn't make them bad people. lt's purely a personal choice. Of course, there are people who take it to what 'normal people' would consider extremes. Much the same as drinking or smoking, or other life choices, except that they aren't always as obvious to everyone as a tattoo.
And l find that people with ink are much less likely to judge other people. l'm not a 'yoof' either. l'm 58 in September. l just prefer to live and let live. They aren't hurting anyone.

Sheilasue Sat 02-Jul-16 09:53:58

Would like a little one on my arm for remembering me late son but don't think I have the nerve have a silver heart on a bracelet maybe better to have that engraved, still think Judy drench is amazing anyway.