Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

One Of Us (BBC this week)

(53 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 25-Aug-16 11:44:04

What a load of tosh.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS COMING UP

We're expected to swallow a story line where every single one of those adults, including professional people like a vet and a nurse, are prepared to collude in a vile crime "because the family has suffered enough already".

Too much OTT "sackcloth and ashes", lingering camera shots on not-very-convincing anguished expressions from the two female leads.

I shan't be tuning in again...

Ana Thu 25-Aug-16 11:46:03

Neither will I. I couldn't watch more than half of it - too dark and unsettling.

petra Thu 25-Aug-16 13:22:49

It got me thinking: what would I have done in that situation. If I knew 100% that he was the killer of my child, although I don't think I could fire a gun or stab someone I would keep shtum about the killer.

merlotgran Thu 25-Aug-16 13:45:21

Glad we're not the only ones who gave up after about twenty minutes.

PRINTMISS Thu 25-Aug-16 14:48:40

Oh dear! you are all on my husband's side - mind you he dislikes anything "in the dark" and that seems to be the trend these days. We shall continue to watch, I think. I think it will turn out to be quite a surprise. Has a really good cast.

numberplease Thu 25-Aug-16 18:20:12

Well, we liked it.

Wobblybits Thu 25-Aug-16 19:16:53

Powerful stuff, loved it. The plot didn't develop until the last 10 minutes or so.

Marelli Thu 25-Aug-16 19:41:55

I liked it, too.

Jalima Thu 25-Aug-16 19:46:57

I didn't really like it, thought it was OTT, but will tune in again because I dislike unsolved mysteries!

J52 Fri 26-Aug-16 08:02:37

I liked it, the mystery is yet to unfold! Maybe parts of it were somewhat unrealistic, but then so are fantasy type drama series which I don't care for.

The plot is leading us to think it has to be one of the families, but there could still be an unknown character. There are more twists, I think!

Alima Fri 26-Aug-16 10:44:56

I wanted to like it as there has been nothing watchable on telly for weeks imho. It has been written by the brothers who wrote The Missing which I thought was very good. Not sure if I like it or not. Is it just me who finds dramas set in Scotland (at least the ones I have seen) all seem to be similar, raging storms, little dialogue, dark. Dr Finlay's Casebook was never like that. Bring back Janet!

Alishka Fri 26-Aug-16 11:27:22

Just watched the first epi on catch-up. Saw juliette Stevenson as the grieving, tanked up on whisky mother, and who else could do the mad, vengeful mum so well?shock
And don't underestimate a mother's love.

So, can confidently predict it was the Mum Wot Did It, and shan't watch again until the final episode when I'm proved right winkgrin

felice Fri 26-Aug-16 12:39:24

Feel a bit the same, will watch and read a book I think, I have started to play count the smiles when watching Shetland and Hinterland, and that includes the times when they are not 'working'. To say they are a dour bunch would be a big understatement.

Ana Fri 26-Aug-16 12:50:36

Hinterland is set in Wales. I don't think the Scots and Welsh are all the same!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 28-Aug-16 21:02:07

Just watched on catchup, I really liked it, but then I like all things dark brooding and sinister, just need better taste in mengrin

phoenix Tue 30-Aug-16 21:37:30

Ok, so you use a digger to make whole big enough to get a car in, but then you start filling it in with shovels?confused hmm

Alima Tue 30-Aug-16 21:55:37

No better this week then?

Auntieflo Tue 30-Aug-16 22:36:16

Nope. Still as dysfunctional as last week. What a shower ?. Kept watching hoping to find something gripping. Is it worth watching next week?

Jalima Tue 30-Aug-16 23:44:07

I didn't think the hole was really big enough for the car
And we both remarked on the shovels
And the fact that the police, the journalists will never notice a pile of freshly dug earth. Perhaps they will think it was made by moles or badgers so that will be all right.

No-one seems to have cleaned up the blood, the cage, their clothes, their own car etc.
Oh dear, they deserve to be caught.

PRINTMISS Wed 31-Aug-16 08:04:33

Well, I think it has some intriguing side stories, I don't mind some of the obvious things that are not quite right, you never know, there might be a reason for this. Anyway, I am going go continue to watch, the o.h. can fall asleep (easily).

Greyduster Wed 31-Aug-16 09:14:51

I'm afraid I'm losing the will to live with this. This very dark storyline was totally unbelievable from the word go, and none of the characters is remotely likeable. DH is determined to stick with it.

TerriBull Wed 31-Aug-16 09:54:42

I need to rewatch it, asleep again angry

Jalima Wed 31-Aug-16 10:29:55

I can't watch these kinds of programmes without picking holes in them
Poor DH (although he did the same about the shovel) grin

Who writes them?
Enjoyable tosh

rosesarered Wed 31-Aug-16 22:40:26

Recorded two episides and watched half of the first tonight.We both agreed it was too unbelievable for words.Nobody acted as they really would have done, and the dialogue seemed stilted.Won't watch any more of it.

rosesarered Wed 31-Aug-16 22:40:54

Won't watch ( silly ipad)