Gransnet forums

Webchats

Fast Exercise with Michael Mosley webchat

(81 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 30-Dec-13 10:15:15

Exercise is good for just about everything – you stay fitter, younger, and stronger. But how should you exercise? And how much?

Science journalist, television presenter and author of bestselling book The Fast Diet, Doctor Michael Mosley drops in on Gransnet to answer your questions on Fast Exercise, how a short burst of high intensity training (HIT) will help you get fitter, stronger and better toned in just a few minutes a day.

In his new book, Fast Exercise; The Simple Secret of High Intensity Training, Dr Michael Mosley, a reluctant exerciser, and super-fit health journalist Peta Bee show you how to safely do High Intensity Training and get the benefits – whatever your fitness level. Drawing on cutting edge research they show why high intensity training can be more effective than much longer periods of low-impact exercise. They also offer a range of workouts, of varying intensity – there is something here for everyone. As this fascinating book demonstrates, when it comes to exercise, less can be more.

Add your questions to Michael Mosley and Peta Bee below - they will be here to answer them on 13 January at 2pm.

MichaelMosley Mon 13-Jan-14 14:44:01

Nothing is going to work for everyone but at a bare minimum I think it is useful to understand what exercise does and why it so beneficial. I have spent 2 years researching this book with the help of some of the world's leading experts. I hope it will help add to people's long term health. In the UK we live as long as other's in Europe but spend longer than most in a state of ill health. It can be prevented by life style changes, at whatever age. On that note I'm afraid I have to run (yes, literally).
Good bye, good luck and thanks for your questions

Polygran Tue 14-Jan-14 00:00:10

Weak kneed, arthritic hip and pinned broken ankle too - i find acquaerobics very helpful at keeping everything moving and loosened up. It can be as aerobic as you want/are able to make it. Generally collaborative, friendly and non-competitive environment too.

Grandmama Tue 14-Jan-14 16:34:09

Gally - 'squidgy cushion' hits the nail on the head. My squidgy cushion is several inches larger than my waist - about the same as my hip measurement. Even if I hold my muscles in it doesn't entirely disappear.

GranDi Wed 15-Jan-14 16:19:24

WRONG! All the exercise in the world will not make you younger - but it will make you fitter, healthier and probably happier and more satisfied with yourself and better able to enjoy an active life. What more do you want?

nancy22 Fri 17-Jan-14 14:13:17

i am all for exercise, however when doing at home I only have a very thin lounge and when you see these dvds people are always doing it in massive rooms