Gransnet forums

Webchats

Paul McKenna - webchat Wed 15th Jan 12-1pm

(65 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Jan-14 14:55:57

Saying you're going to lose weight is one thing, but sticking to a diet or exercise program - as most of us know - is quite another <sigh, why is sticking to a coffee and cake date so much easier?>

While we at Gransnet most assuredly do not have the answer to this, Paul McKenna, who we're delighted to be having in on Wed 15th to answer some questions, may well do. Emotional eating is the number-one cause of obesity in the Western world and in his new book Freedom from Emotional Eating, Paul tackles this very sticky <sorry thinking of toffee pudding again...> tricky issue.

Do join us on Wed but in the meantime feel free to ask a question in advance.

PaulMcKenna Wed 15-Jan-14 12:41:05

vanessas

One killer top tip for weight loss. pleeease!

If I could give you one tip, it would be this: whenever you eat anything, eat it consciously. By that I mean, slow your eating speed down by a quarter, put your knife and fork down while you chew 20 times, and get rid of any distractions, it's essential! The scientific evidence is irrefutable. If you eat and watch TV and are online, you will eat significantly more. However, when you slow your eating speed down to a quarter, focus on the food and nothing else. It might take a while to get hang of it, you'll be eating less, and because you're going slowly you'll hear the signal from your stomach. You can eat less and feel much better.

PaulMcKenna Wed 15-Jan-14 12:43:31

Snoozy

Hi Paul

I've just bought one of your books but I'm not sure if I'm using the hypnosis CD correctly. When there is a different message coming through the right and left earpieces, should I concentrate on one of them or just let both "wash over me?"

Yes, I get asked this occasionally. A lot of work went into making this CD and some of the messages are for your left brain some for your right brain. Because they happen at the same time, the whole point is that you don't consciously listen to it. Just let my positive suggestions wash over you and go deep into your subconscious mind, helping you to change your relationship with food for good.

grannywonder Wed 15-Jan-14 12:44:45

Do you enjoy the celebrity side of your life?

rosiemus Wed 15-Jan-14 12:48:03

I'm very interested in this discussion as I am in a perpetual cycle of dieting/weight-gain and overeating. I definitely use food as a crutch also as I put on a lot of weight when I stopped smoking. I tried the 5:2 last year which worked for a little while but I soon got out of the habit and put the weight back on. Which of your books or methods do you think would be best for me? Or can you use the books in conjunction with other methods?

noidles Wed 15-Jan-14 12:49:01

What are your top tips to actually get the most out of your weight loss books/cds?

PaulMcKenna Wed 15-Jan-14 12:51:42

forgetful

Why are we all so obsessed with our looks. Do you believe in the 'healthy size' index thingies we're supposed to go by?

This is a great question. Years ago the gold standard was Marilyn Monroe and by today's standards she would be plus size. Who decided that a girl should look like a little boy? I don't know, but what I do know is that less than one percent of the population has the genetics to look like a supermodel. Yet we are constantly shown airbrushed pictures in the media of these women and this isn't helped by the diet industry, or as I like to call it, the 'hate your body' industry. There are so many people these days who can have a bad day simply because the needle on their scales move in a different direction. My goal is not to just help people lose weight, but to help them feel better about themselves. There is no freedom in just losing weight.

PaulMcKenna Wed 15-Jan-14 12:51:56

grannywonder

Do you enjoy the celebrity side of your life?

I do and I don't. You can certainly get a nice table in a restaurant if you're well known, and I find it nice to get public recognition. However at times, being well known means you're public property and it can feel invasive. However, there are different kinds of fame. The Kardashians have tabloid fame, whereas Dan Brown is probably one of the most famous and richest authors in the world, yet I couldn't tell you what he looks like. I would prefer Dan Brown's fame. However the way I've approached my job requires me to be in the public eye, I don't regret it, in fact I enjoy it. Sorry if I sound vague, but it's a bit of both.

chazmax Wed 15-Jan-14 12:52:17

Hi Paul,
Great to see you on Gransnet.
Do men and women react to hypnosis in different ways?
Is there anyone you wouldn't hypnotize?

cm25 Wed 15-Jan-14 12:53:25

Hi Paul,

I've read some stuff about your diet and just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

I've tried many different diets in the past and have had some short term success but nothing's worked in the long term, I'm hoping your method can help me out!

Any tips for a newbie? Is there any online support forums (or maybe there's already something on gransnet which will help?!)

PaulMcKenna Wed 15-Jan-14 12:59:04

noidles

What are your top tips to actually get the most out of your weight loss books/cds?

I hope this doesn't sound too simplistic, but it really is essential to follow the instructions. My products work for most people most of the time and when we talk to people the system hasn't worked for, it's almost always because they didn't follow the instructions. As long as you stick to the instructions you stand a good chance of success.

PaulMcKenna Wed 15-Jan-14 12:59:07

Thanks you for sending in so many interesting questions today. I really appreciate you taking the time and interest in my products and if you are using any of them, I really hope you get the benefit you want from them. I've put my heart and soul into what I do. May this year bring you everything you want.

I'm off for some lunch - all this talk of weight loss has made me hungry! wink

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Jan-14 13:02:27

Paul, thanks so much for coming in and giving us a all a bit of insight into emotional eating. Good luck with the book!

whenim64 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:15:33

Paul mentioned an App so I just Googled it. Coming late January and looks like it's free.

www.paulmckenna.com/thin

whenim64 Wed 15-Jan-14 13:20:23

Ahh...free to try to see if it will suit you and in-app purchase if you want to continue.