Gransnet forums

Webchats

Engagement present for couple who don’t need anythjng

(46 Posts)
Nansypansy Sat 14-Oct-23 19:19:57

What on earth can I buy for my son and his lovely fiancée who are having a get together for their engagement. They’ve both been married before and in their forties. They have everything they need but I felt I should get something for them any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Oct-23 19:31:46

Well I am a gardening person and I always give a gift of a special plant if the couple have a garden and more importantly are gardening people, or it would be just a chore😄

Georgesgran Sat 14-Oct-23 19:35:15

I suppose it depends how much you want to spend - Champagne for their first meal as newlyweds? A hamper of goodies, if they’re foodies or a voucher for their favourite restaurant?

kittylester Sat 14-Oct-23 19:36:20

A good bottle of bubbles with special glasses.

AGAA4 Sat 14-Oct-23 19:46:03

Maybe an experience like Afternoon tea for two or a gourmet dinner at a posh restaurant but that would be expensive.

Oldbat1 Sat 14-Oct-23 19:49:22

National Trust membership or a special rose or a lovely card saying youve bought them a goat via oxfam - other stuff is available.

Doodledog Sat 14-Oct-23 19:54:33

When my son got engaged I gave them money, but they were younger than yours and it was for the first time for both of them, so they were starting out. I also got them an engagement ring Christmas tree decoration, which they loved. It's far from tasteful, but if you can't be camp at Christmas, when can you?

(the 'add files' box seems to have disappeared, or I would post a picture of a similar one. How odd.)

Trouble Sat 14-Oct-23 20:15:12

We were not expecting anything when we got engaged, but a friend gave us a rose bush called a love knot which we have taken with us when we moved. Sadly our friend is no longer with us, but we will always keep it. We are not really gardeners.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 15-Oct-23 08:08:54

A bottle of Champagne and something for the garden.

My link for adding pictures has also disappeared.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Oct-23 08:15:42

Do they need an engagement gift?
Is that even a thing?

BlueBelle Sun 15-Oct-23 08:23:10

How times change no such things as engagement presents either first or second time around in my days
As they have everything they need how about a gift in their name to an overseas school for books or a struggling worker or food for a mother and child There are so many beautiful gift cards now that come with a donation and it can make a huge difference

Redhead56 Sun 15-Oct-23 09:01:06

I would ask if there is something specific a little indulgence they would like that you can pay for. A weekend away in a beautiful country house or historic hall with a gorgeous meal is a lovely gift. I have experienced this a few times living the high life just for a weekend and it’s really enjoyable.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Oct-23 09:03:31

Yes, A weekend away in a beautiful country house or historic hall with a gorgeous meal may be a lovely gift but super-expensive I fear!

Is a gift necessary for an engagement?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 15-Oct-23 10:01:42

I didn’t think engagement gifts were given, just wedding gifts.

Doodledog Sun 15-Oct-23 11:24:11

When I was young, engagements were very much a 'thing'. Parties, presents, announcements in the paper - the full works. We didn't get engaged, because as far as I was concerned our agreement to marry was between us, and it all seemed a bit grabby. Some friends definitely got engaged to get the presents. They were up front about it. To be fair though, the age at which people got engaged then was much lower than today - 18 or so was probably average - and at that age people are playing at being grown-ups. Owning tea towels and fondue sets a couple of years after leaving school (and buying them for friends) fed into that.

Nowadays there seems to be a different attitude to weddings. I had younger colleagues who struggled to take holidays with their families as their leave and disposable income was spent on numerous stag and hen weekends abroad, complete with champagne, salsa classes, spas and so on, followed by elaborate weddings in exotic places. One colleague's sister had three hen parties - one in her home town, one near her sister (my colleague) and another abroad. This was followed by an expensive wedding with extravagant gifts - the colleague was asked to buy a new washing machine - and the marriage lasted 6 months.

My 'hen' was a night out with friends (male and female) in a pub. It wasn't a big deal, but I wanted everyone together as I was moving away after we got married. We had a few drinks and possibly chicken in a basket, which was popular at the time, and went home after last orders, which would have been 10.30 grin.

silverlining48 Sun 15-Oct-23 11:33:47

I’d take them out fir a meal, or pay fir them to go alone if that’s what they prefer. A photo frame maybe or something to plant in the garden.
Or just a nice card would be enough wishing them every happiness.

It’s nice you like your potential dil. That’s probably the most important thing.

NotSpaghetti Sun 15-Oct-23 12:35:26

silverlining48 I think that's the best idea - a nice meal to quietly celebrate how pleased you are for them.
We took our son and new fiancée out for a meal and raised a glass to their new life together.

It felt like the start of a new family and gave us chance to really enjoy each other for an evening.

madeleine45 Tue 17-Oct-23 11:23:02

If they have a garden then something like a dogwood or a rose which would last. The other thing I have done over the years is bought a small wood by now. Happy or sad I get a tree from the woodland trust planted in the nearest area they are planting at the time to the person concerned. So my parents ruby wedding we bought 4 trees , one from each of the children. They dont label them (I dont want them to anyway!) but we bought an ordanance survey and when we were all able to get together we went for a walk to see where they were planted. Sadly my sons baby daughter died at 3 days old, and we have all planted trees in her memory. So we have all taken from the world and this is a way to give a bit back and have lovely memories of the occasions.

Mallin Tue 17-Oct-23 11:33:48

Personally I wouldn’t give them anything except, perhaps, a congratulations card.

4allweknow Tue 17-Oct-23 11:34:41

Yo me an engagement present equates to the same as a baby shower gift to me. Totally unnecessary and given the circumstances in this instance even more so. If desperate to give something, give to charity in the couple's name.

Nannashirlz Tue 17-Oct-23 11:40:12

When my son and his fiancée got engaged. They in late 30s also have everything I got them a personal memory book it has a photo of the two of them together and date got engaged and I put photos in from when they were first together and it’s got space for them to put more photos in it and also planning the wedding. Got from not on the high street. They were due to marry in 21 but covid put a stop to that one. So now getting married in July 24. It went down well give them a good laugh at how they had changed in the few years that they had been together.

Ali08 Tue 17-Oct-23 11:41:21

Money or vouchers for a meal at a favourite restaurant.
Offer to babysit, if they have children that would need babysitting,while they go for their meal.
Pay tv licence for a year.
Favourite wine.
Subscription to a magazine/magazines they both enjoy for a year.

Fleurpepper Tue 17-Oct-23 11:44:30

Why not ask them? If they say 'nothing' ask them if there is a charity they would like a donation for.

Vykk Tue 17-Oct-23 12:05:43

Stargazing experience with professional astronomer ? sunshinemoon

Jeanieallergy21 Tue 17-Oct-23 12:34:33

I was a bit taken aback by the comments asking do they really need a gift for an engagement. OP has decided she would like to buy a gift for her son and his fiance and is asking for suggestions. If you have no suggestions to offer, just pass by, no need to offer your opinion as to whether or not a gift is warranted.
Depending on the couple's interests, I'd go with a special plant for the garden, a meal out, a spa day voucher, a bottle of wine or champagne, or a personalised OS map centred on their home, either framed or an actual map if they like to go walking shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/custom-made/