Gransnet forums

Webchats

Unfit and eats unhealthily

(28 Posts)
RuthT65 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:55:39

I am 68 and my husband of 10 years is nearly 80. I have always eaten fairly healthily and kept my weight under control and recently joined a gym to get myself stronger as I age. My husband doesn’t eat so well and seems to want to eat unhealthy foods. He can’t walk very far and doesn’t seem to want to go walking with me. He is quite overweight and doesn’t feel very well sometimes and won’t have it that he’s eating all the wrong things. He won’t do any exercise apart from the odd game of bowls and I can see him getting older and more unfit as the days go by whereas it’s the opposite for me . It’s quite frustrating trying to get him to cut out all the unhealthy foods and I get told to stop going on about it. The saying comes to mind “You can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 23-Feb-24 15:01:24

Presumably he wasn’t much different when you married him? You won’t change him and unless you want to become his carer I would suggest getting out while you can. Things will only get worse, to the point that he’s totally immobile.

jenpax Fri 23-Feb-24 15:22:29

Maybe he enjoys the unhealthy foods to the point that at his age he sees no benefit in sacrificing them to live longer.
Your post was about all that he had to give up and work he needed to put in, maybe try with a few smaller steps and incentivise him make him feel its worthwhile to change? Try a few food swaps so not giving up his favourites but swapping them for a healthier version and gradually introducing healthy food

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 23-Feb-24 15:28:26

If he shops and cooks for himself then it’s a problem that you cant solve, it’s up to him to try and lose weight when he wants to.

However, if you do the shopping and cooking then stop buying unhealthy food.

RuthT65 Sat 24-Feb-24 14:46:51

Thank you for your comments. We do still travel quite a bit and it’s quite noticeable when we’re away from home that he eats unhealthy food and consequently feels quite unwell . It’s a lot easier when we’re at home as I do cook healthy meals and he manages to avoid all the bad stuff and he feels so much better . Neither of us wants to stop travelling! Guess I’ll just have to accept him as he is and as you say maybe he just doesn’t want to change at nearly 80. Change has to come from within and he does try very hard when we’re at home bless him.

Septimia Sat 24-Feb-24 15:11:36

If he eats unhealthy things when you're away and then feels unwell, perhaps you could pick the most likely ingredient at fault and gently say to him "Do you think that "x" doesn't suit your digestion as well as it used to?" And hint that he might try leaving that out to see if the rest of the food suits him OK. It might get him thinking!

I used to love tomatoes, but anything - even baked beans - with tomato or tomato sauce upsets my stomach now.

welbeck Sat 24-Feb-24 16:01:16

it's no good nagging a person.
i'd resist that too, on principle.
he's not a child, to be told what to do.
try to be positive in suggestions, not hectoring, or just leave it.

Cossy Sat 24-Feb-24 16:13:43

Maybe he just feels at 80 he should and will do exactly what he likes! As you’ve only been together a relatively short time can we assume he was like this when you met? It’s no good trying to change people, especially when they’re 80!

Delia22 Sat 24-Feb-24 16:14:21

Germanshepherdsmum

Presumably he wasn’t much different when you married him? You won’t change him and unless you want to become his carer I would suggest getting out while you can. Things will only get worse, to the point that he’s totally immobile.

That,s a bit cruel gsm! The op is concerned about her DH,s diet,not whether she should divorce him!

Cossy Sat 24-Feb-24 16:16:30

Delia22

I smiled when I read GSM comment, she’s so blunt and to the point!

Delia22 Sat 24-Feb-24 16:38:28

Maybe too blunt! As I,ve said before on a different thread, if people have nothing informative or supportive to say maybe say nothing at all!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 24-Feb-24 16:47:43

I think you will find my post informative - the OP will become her husband’s carer. She is 68, he 80, quite overweight and can’t walk far.

Cossy Sat 24-Feb-24 16:52:36

Germanshepherdsmum

I think you will find my post informative - the OP will become her husband’s carer. She is 68, he 80, quite overweight and can’t walk far.

You do have a very valid point GSM, but anyone of us could become infirm or have an accident or a new debilitating physical or mental health condition, are we all doomed to have our partners leave us?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 24-Feb-24 17:03:14

Some people are willing to be carers, others not.

luluaugust Sat 24-Feb-24 17:20:12

I think my DH would say that the difference between 68 and 80 is huge, as he is finding out. I think we do eat healthily, mostly home cooked but time does just start to catch up with you. We have always walked and exercised, DH is slightly overweight but by 80 it is difficult to lose specially in Winter. Do you ever cook for him? I am sure some 80 year old males cook healthily for themselves but not all. Of course you could cut and run but do you have to look on yourself as a carer surely this is married life. What attracted you to him?

Primrose53 Sat 24-Feb-24 17:30:40

There is a big difference between 68 and 80. As Cossy says maybe he thinks at his age he can eat and drink what he likes.

Actually, I have noticed when we are on holiday abroad that there are plenty of trim, trendy women with very large partners/husbands with big, bulging bellies and often sore looking feet and legs.

Delia22 Sat 24-Feb-24 17:49:20

Germanshepherdsmum

Some people are willing to be carers, others not.

No one marries thinking that one day one or the other may be their partners carer in later life. Neither would most people who marry for love cut and run when the going gets tough! If they did marry,remember....vows,for better or worse,in sickness and in health!!

luluaugust Sat 24-Feb-24 17:55:57

They weren’t young when they married, he would have been 70.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 24-Feb-24 18:02:55

Each to their own Delia. Everyone is entitled to live their own life.

Delia22 Sat 24-Feb-24 18:04:08

Still applies .Marriage isn,t just for the "good times" . It,s supposed to be "till death do us part". Infirmity is not death!

Norah Sat 24-Feb-24 18:11:38

Lead by example. Sounds as if you do. Perhaps do more?

Cook healthy low fat food, don't buy unhealthy junk foods?

Go on nice slow long walks together (not exercise, say walks)?

Cossy Sat 24-Feb-24 18:17:07

It’s interesting isn’t she gap relationships! My lovely dear stepdaughter is with a man 20 years older. It does worry us a bit, this year she’ll turn 40, he will be 60 and their shared son 10.

Cossy Sat 24-Feb-24 18:18:52

Soz Should read “ isn’t it, age gap relationships”

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 24-Feb-24 18:20:24

Please don’t preach, Delia. Everyone’s circumstances are different.

I agree Cossy, people don’t think how a big age difference will pan out as they get older.

flappergirl Sat 24-Feb-24 21:45:02

Germanshepherdsmum

I quite agree. I was widowed at 59, now late sixties, and would never consider remarrying as I would most likely become a carer for a man I barely know. It's quite a different matter when you've been happily married for decades and you grow old together (sadly I never had that privilege) but otherwise, no thanks.