Gransnet forums

Webchats

Keep calm and declutter - Q&A with "tidy" expert Marie Kondo

(132 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 09-Apr-14 12:18:30

Fed up of being surrounded by clutter? <guilty face> Too many things and not enough storage? Frustrated by constantly having to tidy up? Overwhelmed by the thought of a clear out? <oh yes!>

Help is at hand. Japan's expert declutterer and professional cleaner Marie Kondo will help you tidy up once and for all with her inspirational step-by-step method and her "once cleaned, never messy again" approach.

As Marie says, "when you put your house in order, you put your affairs and your past in order too. As a result you can see quite clearly what you need in life and what you don't, what you should and shouldn't do."

Her book - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying - is available now and has already sold 1.5 million copies in Japan alone. And you can add your questions for her up til midday on Weds 23 April.

DianneAngel Thu 17-Apr-14 20:42:10

It's a fundemental law of physics - clutter will always expand to fill all available space. I have found that it fills unavailable space too!

Aka Thu 17-Apr-14 20:53:58

It does look good Grannyfran I'll download it later tonight.

GillyB39 Thu 17-Apr-14 20:57:52

I am amazing at de-cluttering someone else's junk as of course it means nothing to me - but doing my own? There's always tomorrow for mine.
I'm just TOO sentimental for my own good! flowers

Grannyfran Thu 17-Apr-14 21:12:55

I'm sure you're right about everybody just having more stuff. But things like a partner's photographic collection ( as mentioned by Culag above) are in a different category, I guess. I still have my grandad's detailed plans for a road trip to South Africa he never made. Perhaps, Culag, we should both try to transform these things into a display or montage or some other artwork somehow...or find someone else who would.
Delighted to be Grannyknot's pot luck reading over Easter, anyway! Cheers Grannyknot and Yogagran, really hope you enjoy it! And yes, Yogagran, Kindle authors do get paid too - might buy some more face cream myself!
wine

wallers5 Fri 18-Apr-14 07:27:18

We have downsized so have a tiny curiosty shop here & my partner refuses to throw out stuff but I do try

FRANKIE Fri 18-Apr-14 16:53:23

I would just like to say that I read all the messages above with great interest - but must warn you all that over the last couple of years I have had to clear out houses of elderly relatives who had died.
All their beloved knick knacks, books, pictures etc meant nothing at all to me and my brother, and with no hesitation we took everything that was useful to charity shops, and threw away anything and everything that was old, worn out or just useless.
It has made me realise that everything I consider to be precious is going to be just thrown away one day, so I have started to give my four children and nine grandchildren anything that they like.
I made them all albums of themselves, with photos from new born to present day, so now I only have a few precious ones in frames dotted about.
If you don't like the thought of someone going through your personal belongings and just binning most of them, please do it yourself NOW.

Greenfinch Fri 18-Apr-14 17:42:30

I do so agree with you FRANKIE but it is just so hard to do. I have file upon file of research notes on Family History but I don't think anyone else will be interested.

grannyactivist Fri 18-Apr-14 23:22:09

I can't cope with clutter (shudder), but having a big house with lots of people visiting/dining/living here means that I do need plenty of glasses, crockery and cutlery (the latter is a 24 place setting and I sometimes still have to raid my 'emergency' cutlery). Similarly extra towels, bedlinen, pillows and duvets all need to be stored for when the house is under full occupancy (currently five of the six bedrooms are occupied and one of my visitors has asked for extra pillows as she has recently had a back operation and the four that are on the bed aren't sufficient - I keep an emergency pack of two pillows for just this kind of eventuality). I am really fortunate in having an attic storage room which has shelving along three walls and under eaves storage space (where else am I going to keep the picnic hamper, suitcases and foot spa?).
Grammar note: I teach 'fed up with' as correct, but I do substitute 'of' with a gerund occasionally; fed up of **-ing.

Aka Sat 19-Apr-14 07:35:06

A sobering thought Frankie . I don't have a lot of clutter, but there are one or two things very precious to me and only me.

grumppa Sun 20-Apr-14 09:04:34

After a massive ironing session I have realised that I possess more than 50 shirts, only three of which are past their prime. And we've just had new fitted wardrobes installed in no. 2 bedroom, so there's plenty of rail space for them. And DW and 2 DDs always buy me shirts for birthday and Christmas, and I occasionally buy myself a few...

Then there are the books...

petra Sun 20-Apr-14 18:30:51

grumppa. I assume you wear a shirt every day?

grumppa Mon 21-Apr-14 08:16:56

Yes I do.

Gally Mon 21-Apr-14 09:09:29

Is this a competition? Will Marie Kondo visit the winner and de-clutter her/him? If so, I want to win tbuwink tbugrin

I managed to shred all my diaries last week along with some letters, very precious ones, from a former 'friend', none of which I wanted my family ever to see. It was horrible, but I did it and I do feel relieved. I recently found letters from my Dad to my Mum, written towards the end of WW2 when he was in the Middle East and then on the way home in '46 after 5 years absence and although they were just the loveliest things to read, I felt I was snooping, even after nearly 70 years but I have kept them for future generations as a 'piece of history'. Some things need to be kept.

Now to work.........

minky Tue 22-Apr-14 11:45:32

Please help me Marie. I am trying so hard to get rid of "stuff" but then I just can't do it. I think this stems from two things...one which is always regretting getting rid of a particular skirt (which I loved - why did I do it?) and so I am now wary about getting rid of clothes that I may want to wear in the future. And the second is that I had been given an old text book (many many years ago) by a university friend - not long after I thought I had no use for it and had sent it to the charity shop he died unexpectedly and I was devastated because it was the only thing of his I had had still.

I suppose what I am saying is that I am very sentimental and struggle to get rid of things (but particularly cards, letters, papers) that have been significant to me in some way (either from relatives, many of whom are now deceased) or that evoke other happy memories.

How do I work round this? Or do I really need to? (My husband says yes I do)

rockgran Tue 22-Apr-14 13:28:19

I love getting rid of useless stuff but on the other hand I love crafting with junk so I have a lot of boxes of junk mail envelopes, buttons, fabric, card, etc. At least when I pop my clogs it can easily be dumped I suppose. I'm forever recycling things that can't just be resold at the charity shop. Still, we all need a hobby - and I do keep it tidy!

Jaxie Thu 01-May-14 08:36:33

Donate your stuff to charity shops. If you register they let you know how much selling your stuff raised, and that is the pay off.

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:00:50

Gally

I seem to be constantly trying to clear up. In the 33 years I have lived in this house, I have always had one room full of 'stuff' waiting to be moved/given a home/sold/given away but never seem to achieve the end object. As I may be moving house in the next year or so, I am methodically going through boxes and boxes of photos, receipts, letters, school reports, certificates......... most of which belonged to my in-laws, my parents, my late husband, my children and others. It takes for ever and at the end of the session, I am left with almost as much as I started with but in a considerably more orderly state. I, however, am left in a complete mess having blown my way through half a packet of Kleenex as it upsets me so much. I have even been bum up under the sink sorting out bottles of cleaning stuff, dusters, shoe polish, all of which seem to be duplicated or even triplicated, but now all beautifully organised and in neat rows. Same with the larder - all in alphabetical order and in neat rows. I just don't seem to be able to part with much; it all means something or reminds me of someone. I have far too many plates, cutlery, glassware, dishes, bowls, vases, gardening equipment, furniture and shelves full of books - the list goes on and on. As for paperwork - despite having a filing cabinet and multitudinous box files, most of it is in piled on the dining table for easy access confused. I have recently dipped my toe into eBay, without too much success - I buy more than I appear to sell wink
Short of allowing someone in to do the deed while I am anaesthetised, I don't think I will ever get to grips with decluttering.

(BTW GN. Fed up of? Doesn't sit too well with me, but correct me if I am wrongwink)

Dear Gally,

You are really struggling to come to grips with decluttering and feeling that it’s an impossible task. But please don’t worry. As you will see from my book, there is a method and an order to decluttering that works. Before you start decluttering you need to know how to choose what to throw away, how to let go of things, and the most effective order in which to sort your
things. Once these three points are clear in your mind, you will find that the problem is not that you are incapable of decluttering but simply that you didn’t know how to do it.

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:02:40

Nelliemoser

As my OH has just brought home 12 more charity shop CDs and three books he will never listen to, but just hoard. the whole idea of never being able to de-clutter and clear out makes me feel ill.

I just want to move out, leave it all behind me and find some where I don't have to put up with this crap. The bloody boxes of unread books and CDs are spilling out onto the landing.

I am sick of it. sad angry

Dear Nelliemoser,

The most important point in decluttering is to finish decluttering your own things first. Can you honestly say that you’ve completely finished doing that? Usually it’s when we haven’t taken care of our own stuff, that other people’s things and actions bother us. (I know because, believe it or not, that’s the way I was!) So I recommend that you stop focusing on your husband’s clutter and instead concentrate on your own. The trick is to do this on your own, quietly, without saying or even implying, "Look at me! Look at all the decluttering I’m doing!". When you have completely decluttered your own space, you’ll be feeling much better, and you’ll be surprised to see that your family begins to declutter, too. It’s strange, but decluttering appears to be catching. Try it and see!

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:03:46

goldengirl

I'd love to declutter my own stuff but the thought of having to do something with it puts me off! It would just be moving it from one area to make a pile in another - until I can 'go to the tip' (which I can't see myself doing), or 'taking to a charity shop' which I can't see myself doing either. Any suggestions welcome please.

Dear Goldengirl,

The important thing in decluttering is commitment. The key to having commitment is to tidy all in one go. If you only do a little when you have spare time, then you are not truly committed and it will seem like too much bother to take things to the tip. Decluttering doesn’t mean simply sorting out what to throw in the bin. It is a major project that will transform your life for the better! That’s the true purpose of decluttering. Keep this purpose in mind and make a detailed, concrete plan that will get the job done quickly.

Taking things to a charity shop is a great way to declutter but when you sort the things to be taken there, be sure to set a date for when you’re going to do it. To sum up, the keys to success are commitment and speed. Make tidying a special event!

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:04:44

mrsmopp

Here's one I posted earlier. (The house is still a tip)

Am I the only one finding it terribly hard to declutter? I start off determined to have a good clear out, but I don't get very far. I end up going through everything then carefully putting things back where they were. For gods sake what's wrong with me that I want to hang on to everything?
Let me just add I'm not one of those extreme cases where it's impossible to even enter the house because of piles of junk, old newspapers etc. no, I'm not that bad. Yet!!

Dear Mrsmopp,

No, you’re not by any means the only one who finds it hard to declutter. The reason you find it hard to throw things away is because you haven’t clearly identified the things that really make you happy. Start by changing your perspective. When we focus on what to throw away, decluttering becomes a painful process of searching for obstacles, for things that bring us down. The more we try to declutter, the more we seem to be chiselling away at our hearts.

The key to success is to focus on what we want to keep. The criteria for choosing is to touch each item and see if it brings us joy. Remember that you have to touch it. Just looking at it or thinking about it won’t work. Only when we pick something up and feel it can we really tell if it makes our lives richer.

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:06:59

Stansgran

I buy cleaners and stain removers and household goods in the hope they will magic some order and cleanliness into my life. I've bought a packet of yellow dot stickers which I add to each cleaner I use. By August 1st if they haven't got a sticker on them then they are out. (Started in January) also I read that if all your clothes are on hangers one way round,as you wear them put them back the other way round and then cull the ones at the end of the season that haven't been turned round. I am going to try that. I think that may have been Marie Kondos idea? How do you shed things which have happy memoriesMarie? Handbag my daughter gave me a scarf from my mother,a birthday card from my father? They will mean nothing to others and go into the skip when the house goes.

Dear Stansgran:
Regardless of whether or not they mean anything to others, you don’t need to shed things which have happy memories or which give you joy. (Of course, we shouldn’t throw away things that belong to someone else.) If you have something that you really love, then keep it with confidence and take good care of it.
In order to take care of the things we love, however, we have to let go of the things that we no longer need. If the things that are really important to us stay buried under other stuff or lie forgotten for years and years, then there's no point in having them.
So learn how to tidy properly and develop your ability to choose what's really important to you. If you take care of the things you treasure, they will support you to have a fulfilling life.

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:08:32

inishowen

I love decluttering, but DH is a book and paper hoarder. He has his own study but still leaves piles of papers on the coffee table and in the kitchen. It drives me mad. I can't tidy it up as I'm accused of hiding important things! What can i do?

Dear inishowen,

I can see that you find it really hard when your husband leaves things in your shared space. But the secret to decluttering is to finish taking care of your own clutter first.

Start by sorting your clothes and then move on to your books, papers, etc.. Make sure you finish one category before moving on to the next. Once you’ve completely finished, that’s the time to try and help your husband learn how to tidy.

The key is to tidy each category all in one go. You've said your husband hoards papers. When it's time to work on that category, he should gather papers from every part of the house, pile them in one room, pick up each one and select only those that he needs.

One reason we tend accumulate so much without realising it is that we haven’t grasped the real volume of what we own. It’s usually quite a shock for my clients to see exactly how much stuff they have in each category. Seeing the reality and then tidying up in one go is sure to change the way you treat your possessions and your understanding of decluttering.

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:09:54

Galen

Why bother? It only gets cluttered again!hmm

Dear Galen,

That’s a good question. Why bother? After all, clutter won’t kill us. But I still recommend decluttering because I know that it invariably changes our lives for the better.

You will find that repeatedly deciding which possessions bring you joy will hone and refine your power of judgment so that you can apply it naturally even in human relationships and your work. You’ll be able to identify what brings you happiness and act accordingly.

Some of my clients, for example, decided to change careers or their workplace to something that they found more satisfying. Others found that the decluttering process helped them to succeed at dieting or at economising because their core values became much clearer.

And of course, everyone who goes through this process will gain a tidy home. If you use the right method to declutter, you will never suffer from clutter again because the process itself will transform your awareness and your habits.

What would be your "ideal lifestyle"? With what kinds of things would you like to surround yourself? Decluttering begins with identifying the ideals to which you aspire. Once those become clear, it’s your choice: do you want to declutter and transform your life so that every day is wonderful, or do you want to stay just the same?

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:10:34

spookygran

I regularly start to declutter but my husband puts everything back. How can I get him out of this habit without grievous bodily harm being committed? "we might need it one day" is his motto, mine is "if I haven't used it in the last year ....get rid of it". Tidying is a nightmare in our house,please help me.

Start by tidying only those things that belong to you and that you can make decisions on by yourself. Leave anything communal for later. Once you have dealt with your own clutter, then you can take on the whole house.

I also encourage you to have a proper conversation with your spouse about what kind of home you would like to live in. For example, what kind of interior you would like? How you would like to spend your time in the morning after you wake up and the time before bed? Before discussing what to discard and what to keep, you need to consult about your life as a whole.

Let your husband know that the tidying project you are about to undertake is a special event that will change your life. I am not exaggerating. There are two types of tidying: daily tidying and special-event tidying. We should begin with the latter. (See my book for details.)

Oh, and one more thing: no matter what your husband decides about keeping or not keeping any item, don’t say a word. Nor is there any need for you to deliberately show him what you are throwing away when you tidy your own belongings.

MarieKondo Thu 29-May-14 15:11:17

waltermitty

Boy do I feel better, now I know there are so many others out there who can't let go!! I blame all those trash for cash/car booty/hidden treasure daytime TV programmes for my clutter - old telephones, clothes from the 70s, vinyl records, typewriters ... the list is endless!! One day they will be worth a lot of money and then I'll be the one laughing! And how can you throw away any photographs, soppy Valentine cards, school books and reports, or a hundred other memories? I know one day someone else will bin them - so help, what is the answer???

The trick to letting go is to clean everything in the same category all in one go. For example, when tidying photos, gather them all in one spot and then go through them one by one, picking them up and holding them in your hand. The criteria for choosing is whether they spark joy in you when you touch them.

You are bound to find some photos that are almost identical, some that are out of focus, or some of scenery you can’t even remember taking. The process of taking out and picking up each photo makes us acutely aware of the existence of our possessions and helps us to naturally acquire the ability to judge what we really need.

If you come across things that are hard to throw away even though they don’t bring you joy, let them know how much you appreciate them. Remember the happiness they brought you, thank them for all they’ve done, and give them a hug before you put them in the bin. This will free you from any feelings of guilt you might have about parting with them.