Grandparenting - a firm 'no'
Cat vs. dog - a debate
Baby carriers - dangerous?
Grannie's bakewell tart recipe from grayjill
IngredientsFor the pastry:
125g unsalted butter
90g golden caster sugar (regular caster sugar is fine)
250g plain flour
1 egg (lightly beaten)
For the filling:
150g (6oz) caster sugar
150g (6oz) soft margarine
150g (6oz) self-raising flour
½ tsp almond essence
1 cup milk
50g (2oz) grated marzipan
Method1. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar. Then rub in the butter using the tips of your fingers. When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs add the lightly beaten egg a bit at a time to bring it together to a smooth dough. It should leave the bowl clean but not be sticky. If it seems too wet, add a little more flour.
2. Knead it for a couple of minutes and then leave it to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes in cling film.
3. Once rested, roll out the pastry so it is slightly bigger than the dish you are using. Carefully line the dish with the pastry ensuring there are no gaps. Overlap the edges by about an inch as the pastry will ‘shrink’ when it is cooked. Blind-bake the pastry for about 20 minutes. Once the pastry has been blind-baked take it out of the oven and leave it to cool.
4. Cream the margarine and sugar together using a spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time and beat into the mixture. Add a tablespoon of flour before the last egg to stop the mixture from separating.
6. Mix the almond essence with the milk and beat in to the mixture. Then, using a metal spoon, fold in the remaining flour.
7. Mix a few tablespoons of jam in a bowl so that it becomes runny and then spread this on the pastry case. Cover the entire base. Then add the grated marzipan on top of the jam.
8. Then spoon in the frangipane filling ensuring no jam or marzipan is visible. Add it carefully so that you so not mix the jam or marzipan into the mixture but it stays beneath the frangipane.
9. Bake in the oven at 180C for 35 minutes or until the sponge is firm but bounces back up when you press it. Some people like to add a layer of icing but as my Granny didn't then I don't either!
Please login first.