Barbecue recipes: something for everyone!
Every sliver of summer sunshine is worth savouring - especially when there's a heatwave! -and alfresco dining is the best way of capturing an almost holiday feel. So open up that bottle of chilled sauvignon, fire up the grill, and start wielding those tongs. Here are some barbecue recipe ideas we've rounded up to get you started. Happy grilling!
Get more tasty recipes by signing up to our newsletter!
For the meat-eaters...
Melted goat's cheese and leek lamb burgers recipe
- 450g (1lb) organic lamb mince
- 2 small or 1 big leek (finely sliced)
- 1/2 onion (finely sliced)
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 4 x 1 in sq cubes of hard goat's cheese (or cheddar if you prefer non-lactose free)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt & pepper
- A few sprigs rosemary (leaves chopped)
- Heat oil and sauté leeks & onion with salt, pepper and rosemary until soft.
- Place meat in bowl, add breadcrumbs, egg, leeks, etc. Add more salt & pepper to taste.
- Shape into 4 burger patties and press cube of cheese into the centre.
- Place burgers on a plate, cover with cling film & chill for 10mins.
- Pan fry burgers on a medium heat with no oil. Turn regularly. They will take 18-25 mins to cook.
Spicy chicken recipe
- Chicken (jointed)
- 1 small (5oz) tub of full fat yoghurt
- ½-1 tsp ginger paste
- ½-1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp tomato purée (optional)
- ½ tsp curry powder, tandoori powder or other similar spice mix (optional)
- Pinch of chilli powder and/or black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Lemon (to taste)
- 2 tsp oil
- Marinade chicken joints in ingredients for at least an hour, piercing or slashing the flesh with the point of a sharp knife to aid absorption.
- Barbecue chicken pieces, turning and basting occasionally with oil and/or marinade.
"Serve with a crunchy green salad and rice or potatoes. Goes well with the recipes for barbecue flavoured rice and spicy potatoes on this site."
Savour these veggie sensations...
Beetroot burgers recipe
- 2 grated beetroots
- 3 grated carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp tahini
- A handful of oats
- Fry off the onions until soft and then add the carrot and beetroot. When they're all soft, take them off the heat and put to one side.
- Whiz the rest of the ingredients up together in a food processor.
- Mix in the vegetables and stir well, then form the mixture into patties (not too thick).
- Chill them for a couple of hours and then fry for a few minutes on each side.
- Serve in a bun with lettuce and pickle.
Hearty lentil and corn salad recipe
- 1 tin lentils or equivalent split peas
- 1 corn on the cob, boiled or roasted
- Red and yellow peppers, thickly sliced and roasted
- Cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Fresh parsley or coriander
- Oil and red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the tin of lentils.
- Slice the cooked corn into about half a centimetre thick while still warm from cooking.
- Add above to serving dish along with peppers, still warm from oven.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
Try out a seafood delight...
Barbecued salmon kebabs recipe
- 500g skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ground black pepper
- 3 lemons (cut into 12 wedges)
- Slice salmon into 12 long strips, thread each onto a skewer. Place in shallow dish.
- In a bowl whisk the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper. Pour over salmon and leave for 30 minutes.
- Thread one lemon wedge onto the ends of each skewer. Cook skewers for 4 minutes on each side, brushing often with the marinade.
Tip: "Soak wooden skewers in water so they dont burn. Can add different fish or prawns to change the dish."
Grilled marinated monkfish salad recipe
- 300g (raw weight) monkfish fillet
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 bag of green salad leaves
- A handful coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp diced red pepper (garnish)
- 4 lemon segments (garnish)
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour the mixture over the monkfish fillet. Cover and leave to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the monkfish from the marinade. Grill for 3 minutes on each side. Turn frequently till the fish is cooked through. Leave to cool.
- Divide the green salad leaves and coriander leaves between 4 plates. Break the cooked monkfish and arrange on the top of the salad. Garnish with diced red pepper and a lemon segment.
Scrumptious side dishes
Grilled courgettes with lemon, yoghurt and pine nuts recipe
- 4 large courgettes (sliced lengthways, about ½ cm thick)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 350ml Greek yoghurt
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- Fresh mint or basil to garnish (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or pistachios (lightly toasted)
- Brush the courgettes with oil on both sides and add a little salt .
- If using a grill, lay them on a baking sheet lined with foil and grill. If using a griddle of barbecue, place directly onto it.
- Cook until lightly browned or charred on both sides.
- Mix the yoghurt, lemon juice and garlic.
- Allow the courgettes to cool, then layer in a dish with the yoghurt mix.
- Garnish with the herbs and nuts. Improves with standing for a few minutes.
Tip: "You can use low-fat yoghurt, in which case use it as a dressing rather than layering it because it can get very runny. The courgettes can also be sprinkled with a little cumin powder before cooking."
Barbecue flavour rice recipe
- 2 mugs basmati rice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- Small piece red or green pepper (chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 2 tbsp raw chicken, in very small pieces (optional – usually only if the rice is to be served on its own as a main meal)
- 2-3 tbsp frozen mixed vegetables
- ¼-½ tsp garlic paste
- ¼-½ tsp ginger paste
Barbecue flavour ingredients (use extra for a more intense flavour):
- 1-2 tbsp Worcester sauce, or to taste
- 1-2 tbsp tomato ketchup, or to taste
- 1-2 tbsp dark soya sauce, or to taste
- 1 tsp tomato purée (optional)
- 2-3 drops chilli sauce (optional)
- Cook rice according to your preferred method, adding 1 tsp salt to water.
- Meanwhile, fry onion and pepper on low heat till softened. If using chicken, add after a minute or two. Don’t overcook.
- Next, add tomato, garlic and ginger. Fry till tomato softened.
- Then add mixed vegetables. Fry till almost cooked.
- Add tomato purée, Worcester sauce, ketchup, soya sauce and chilli sauce to taste. Mix well and cook on higher heat until reduced a bit.
- Stir the cooked sauce into the rice and mix thoroughly until rice is completely coloured.
Tip: "Serve with barbecue meats or spicy chicken and salad."
Don't forget the must-have condiments
Plum barbecue sauce recipe
- 6 plums (chopped)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
- ½ cup apple-cider vinegar
- ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp of paprika
- Fry the onions, garlic, plums and other ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Uncover and leave to simmer for around 15 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Cool, and then place mixture in a food processor and whiz until smooth.
- Tip: Makes a great marinade or sauce for pork or chicken.
- 1-3 fresh green chillies (chopped finely)
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- handful of fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 ripe tomato (cut into small dice)
- Juice of one lime
- In a bowl mix together the fajita seasoning, chillies and 1 tbsp of oil.
- Heat a wok or a large frying pan. Add the remaining oil and fry the onions and peppers for 5 mins over a high heat, or until beginning to char. Add half the spice blend and fry for 2 mins. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
- Add the steak to the pan along with the remaining spice blend, mix well to coat and then stir-fry for 3 mins over a high heat. Add the tomatoes and fry for 1 min. Return the vegetables to the pan and heat everything through for another minute.
- Fill the warmed wraps with the beef and vegetables, rocket leaves and a spoonful of soured cream, adding more chillies to the soured cream to taste.
Make space for the sweet stuff
BBQ bananas recipe
- 1 banana (per person)
- 1 Mars Bar (per person)
- Cut 1 banana lengthways and add 1 sliced Mars Bar into the banana.
- Wrap in tin foil.
- Place on barbie for about 10 mins, when the banana will be hot and soft and the Mars Bar melted into a gorgeous choc/toffee sauce.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
"Very simple, delicious and low calorie....OK I lied about that one!! Don't overcook or the toffee starts to burn!"
Lemon meringue crush recipe
- 400g can custard
- 4 tbsp lemon curd
- 4 meringues
- Mix together 4 tbsp lemon curd and the tin of custard.
- Break 4 meringue nests into pieces and stir into the lemony custard.
- Spoon into glasses and serve.